Steak Lovers Beware!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jim55

Service Attendant
Steak Lovers Beware! I just got off the Texas Eagle on 20 May at Chicago. The night before, I requested the flat iron steak. when it came it looked very good, but one bite and something was wrong. The guy across from me said "did you see the asterick (*) by the flat iron steak on the menue? I had not but roughly what it said was "during high demand, beef shanks (I think) will be substituted during high demand when flat iron steaks are no longer available. Other than that, it was a good trip. Ahead of tme at St Louis but :40 late at Chicago. Jim

Steak Lovers Beware! I just got off the Texas Eagle on 20 May at Chicago. The night before, I requested the flat iron steak. when it came it looked very good, but one bite and something was wrong. The guy across from me said "did you see the asterick (*) by the flat iron steak on the menue? I had not but roughly what it said was "during high demand, beef shanks (I think) will be substituted during high demand when flat iron steaks are no longer available. Other than that, it was a good trip. Ahead of tme at St Louis but :40 late at Chicago. Jim
Is that for real? Look what wikipedia had to say;

"The beef shank is the shank (or leg) portion of a steer or heifer.

Due to the constant use of this muscle by the animal it tends to be tough, dry, and sinewy, so is best when cooked for a long time in moist heat. As it is very lean, it is widely used to prepare very low-fat ground beef. Due to its lack of sales, it is not often seen at retail. Although, if found in retail, it is very cheap and a low-cost ingredient for beef stock. Beef shank is a common ingredient in soups."

That's a terrible thing for Amtrak to do.

Is this something new or is just on certain routes? I havn't taken the train yet this year, but I don't remember it from last year on the Crescent and the sample menu online doesn't show the extra note.

I know that if I was in coach and was paying extra for the most expensive meal on the menu I would be pissed, especially if it just randomly showed up without warning. Of course if I was in a sleeper paying for a first class experience I would be pissed as well.

Surely they should tell you exactly what it is you are being served? Granted, sometimes things run out and an alternative is offered, but if you are charging $21 for steak, then $21 for what normally becomes dog food is very underhand, and possibly illegal.

In the UK the Trading Standards would be on their case.

I am very picky about my steak. I only like the very lean cuts of steak and I am a well done kind of person but I still expect it to be juicy and tender. I usually stick to Sirloin or New York Strip. So could you describe Flat Iron to me?

I've never been victimized by the old switcheroo, but after 3 inedible flatirons on 3 different trains I'll never order an Amsteak again.

I've never been victimized by the old switcheroo, but after 3 inedible flatirons on 3 different trains I'll never order an Amsteak again.
How did you order it cooked? I read a good review on a rare steak, but that was the only one.

I was planning on trying it in a week, prob. medium-rare, but I don't want to be really disappointed. My girlfriend and I are taking our first overnighter in a roomette, hoping everything goes well so she will be up for it again. The food will probably be a big part of that.

Steak and French Toast were what I was planning on.....

How did you order it cooked? I read a good review on a rare steak, but that was the only one.

I was planning on trying it in a week, prob. medium-rare, but I don't want to be really disappointed. My girlfriend and I are taking our first overnighter in a roomette, hoping everything goes well so she will be up for it again. The food will probably be a big part of that.

Steak and French Toast were what I was planning on.....
Last fall on the CZ our medium rare flatirons were fine.

After reading all AU Food Critics posts, I too was disappointed in the Flat Iron
I know I gave the Flat Iron a rave review here, but that was probably around January 2008. I may have the steak on the Silver Star this week in one direction or the other, and if I do I'll be sure to tell you how it compares to my memory. But I'm more excited to try the newer regional menu items on this trip!

Think of three playing cards stacked one on top of another. The outer two cards are incredibly tender beef, but the middle card is incredibly tough gristle. The butcher has to make two very precise, large surface area cuts to slice the gristle away from the beef. If the butcher succeeds, the result is like filet mignon; however, any mistake that allows the gristle to remain will ruin the entire cut. A flat iron is a gamble.

I always ask for medium, and the Amsteaks were all medium as requested. Bad meat was the problem. Poor quality. USDA Industrial or something.

Amshanks, on the other hand, have been pretty good on several occasions. They're braised. Braising is a low and slow form of cooking that works well for breaking down connective tissues even in tougher cuts, such as shank and brisket. I use liquid braising in the oven for corned beef, and it always comes out falling-apart tender.

I can certainly understand jim55's discomfiture, which would apply to any kinda surprise switch. Asterisk or no, he shoulda been notified as menus were distributed. In my experience the servers have never failed to inform when a dish was no longer available.

On my SWC rides this year: In March I ordered the Flat Iron Steak. I had it delivered to my roomette. I ordered medium rare and the middle was raw. I ate around it, no biggie. And then last month I ordered it again, medium, which was still very pink. But aside from all of that, I think the steak has an odd taste to it. The second time I had it and paid for it, I didn't think it was worth it. I won't order the steak again. Go chicken! :D

I'm looking forward to another train ride next month on the SWC and get to ride on the Pacific Surfliner also woohoo, can't wait!

I usually get the Amsteak. I've had one or two that have been pretty bad. Overall they've been pretty good though. My Thanksgiving Amsteak on train 97 last year was actually one of the best I've had in a while.

I always order with the instructions: "Bloody rare." So far, I have gotten what I asked for and it has been delicious. I like my meat red and juicy in the middle. That's how I cook it on my grill at home, and thats how I order it on Amtrak. I have always loved the flat iron. My girlfriend was mildly disappointed with the one we had on the Capitol Limited a few weeks ago, though.

I always order with the instructions: "Bloody rare." So far, I have gotten what I asked for and it has been delicious. I like my meat red and juicy in the middle. That's how I cook it on my grill at home, and thats how I order it on Amtrak. I have always loved the flat iron. My girlfriend was mildly disappointed with the one we had on the Capitol Limited a few weeks ago, though.
I just checked Amtrak's sample menu- there's no info or clue that they are doing any substitution for the Flat Iron Steak.

I hope that there's plenty of steaks available in June.....Won't fool hubby with beef shanks :p

All I can say folks is "I got something other than a flat iron steak". The menue Asterick(*) did give them a license to steal and they did. Who ever at Amtrak level that suggested this shoud be .... I don't think "drawn and quartered" is politicaly correct... so take them out(as Gen Dreedle said) and Sho-- them. What worthless staff come up with these options? JIM

Last edited by a moderator:
All I can say folks is "I got something other than a flat iron steak". The menue Asterick(*) did give them a license to steal and they did. Who ever at Amtrak level that suggested this shoud be .... I don't think "drawn and quartered" is politicaly correct... so take them out(as Gen Dreedle said) and Sho-- them. What worthless staff come up with these options? JIM
Money and maybe the vendor who provides Amtrak wtih food said this summer we won't be able to ensure we can get enough steaks to you for the peak but we can provide these other beef items instead. What's Amtrakt to do? They are kind of powerless, so they add the astrick and hope to keep people happy.

Well, another situation where amtrak is unprepared to handle a normal situation. Surly there are beef suppliers other than the one they have contracted with. Worse yet, if they are aware so far out in advance as to actually put it in the menu, then they are really falling down on the procurement job. Kind of like the toilets that every one but amtrak supervisors seem to know are a problem.

I reported at least a year ago that the quality of the Flat Iron Steaks had deteriorated badly on several trips I took. They were certainly not the quality that had been previously provided. Later on we took more trips and the meat seemed to return close to the original standard. Something went wrong with what was provided then as well.

If your running a company and your aware that your unable to provide the listed quality you should be looking for a way to correct it with an equal product not a low quality replacement. Again, what good restaurant chain would get away with this. More of your government in action with lots more to come.

Money and maybe the vendor who provides Amtrak wtih food said this summer we won't be able to ensure we can get enough steaks to you for the peak but we can provide these other beef items instead. What's Amtrakt to do? They are kind of powerless, so they add the astrick and hope to keep people happy.
Amtrak should have a contract with said vendor who provides the food for the trains that (I assume) requires certain foods to be provided, such as 'Railroad French Toast' or 'Flat Iron Steak'. That being said, if the vendor cannot obtain the steaks from their source then they should (or would) seek the missing item(s) from another source.

There is no reason to assume that they would not be able to get the steaks from another source, unless, we have a beef shortage! :)

But the asterisk doesn't keep people happy, it just gives Amtrak the power to do whatever they want.

It's Amtrak food...nothing should ever surprise you. For the prices charged on board in the dining car...it's all pretty sad. I always go sleeper, which is good, because I would have a huge problem with the prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back