Steam Across the World

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 14308
The ICE II I took one stop.

View attachment 14309
The Swissotel in West Berlin.

View attachment 14310
The remains of the Kaiserwilhelmgedachteskirche

View attachment 14311
The river spree from the S Bahn.

View attachment 14312
The view from my lunch place.

View attachment 14313
The Bahnhof Badsee

View attachment 14314
One of the diesel electric trains running down the mainline.

View attachment 14315
Coming into the Badsee Junction under a full head of steam.

View attachment 14316
Coming out of the grade crossing and underpass under the Deutsche Bahn mainline.

View attachment 14317
One of the diesel trains heading towards the S Bahn intermodal Station.

IMG_1186.JPG
Pounding across the Haus of Culture junction. The line that joins is out of service.

IMG_1187.JPG
We’re right by the abandoned Soviet stadium.

IMG_1188.JPG
At the Hauptbahnhof

IMG_1189.JPG
Speeding towards the Stadion stop for an abandoned Soviet era stadium.

IMG_1190.JPG
Passing by the towerman for the Stadion Tower.

IMG_1191.JPG
The largest of their steam locomotives and the only one with a tender.

IMG_1192.JPG
Getting ready to depart the parking lot.

IMG_1193.JPG
It’s almost like a ghost from the distant past in this park.

IMG_1194.JPG
An IC on the Stadtbahn.

IMG_1195.JPG
The world clock.

Seaboard, I envy you being able to pack so much in a relatively short time. What a great trip. Our trips now are a little more mellow with lots of time to sit in cafes,drink wine, and people watch. But, as you well know, rail travel in Europe is the only way we go.

My fondest memory of a 2017 trip was sitting on a Frecciarossa train enroute Florence and having an attendant with a cart come through offering complimentary decadent treats and coffee, water, or prosecco as we sped along at 160mph or so. We had an interesting conversation with a professor returning to home in Milan from Rome. He said one reason Italy has such good train service is that the government was concerned that so much of the wealth and job opportunities of the country was concentrated in Rome that people were leaving the smaller towns and cities to work there, often with families left behind. The low fare high speed rail network was a way to keep the families united so workers could often return home. Clearly a social reason, rather than and economic one for the investment.

Seaboard, I envy you being able to pack so much in a relatively short time. What a great trip. Our trips now are a little more mellow with lots of time to sit in cafes,drink wine, and people watch. But, as you well know, rail travel in Europe is the only way we go.

My fondest memory of a 2017 trip was sitting on a Frecciarossa train enroute Florence and having an attendant with a cart come through offering complimentary decadent treats and coffee, water, or prosecco as we sped along at 160mph or so. We had an interesting conversation with a professor returning to home in Milan from Rome. He said one reason Italy has such good train service is that the government was concerned that so much of the wealth and job opportunities of the country was concentrated in Rome that people were leaving the smaller towns and cities to work there, often with families left behind. The low fare high speed rail network was a way to keep the families united so workers could often return home. Clearly a social reason, rather than and economic one for the investment.

Can there be a better reason to use public funds than to keep families from fragmenting?

Back