Steam Locomotives and a Trans Continental

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Day 11 Crossing Borders

We again had an early morning wake up call in order to catch VIA Train No. 97 the Maple Leaf to New York's Grand Central terminal. So we walked the three or four blocks from the hotel to Union Station it was a nice morning for a short walk. Due to our late arrival we didn't get a chance to explore. After arriving in Union Station I promptly went to use the bathroom in the one Gene Wilder was turned black in.

Yes I purposely went to a restroom that was known for the scene in Silver Streak when Richard Pryor made Gene Wilder pass for black because I love that movie. After a short wait it was time to line up to board the Maple Leaf. On the track over was the first Westbound Departure on the new schedule of the Canadian. It was multiple hours late because our train arrived multiple hours behind.

We departed right on time and proceeded west along the Lake passing by several suburbs on our way out of town. I saw a few private cars owned by Rapido Trains at the TMC. After awhile we were entering the slower speed Niagara branch and slowly threading our way down. We made our stop at the Falls and then proceeded to cross over the Whirlpool Bridge before arriving at the fenced off platform.

Everyone left on the train had to detrain and go thru customs. Honestly it felt more like In processing into a prison with the fences, and sterile atmosphere. We cleared back into the country fast enough and went back upstairs to await Reboarding. We would ultimately board the train three times to make our trip.

After getting back on the train we decided to go to the cafe for lunch which after a week on VIA Rail is a real eye opener. We passed by the beautiful Buffalo Central Terminal before stopping at the utilitarian Depew station. I spent most of my day chatting with the LSA because him and I share similar views on a lot of things.

I honestly didn't pay much attention to the scenery because getting to know people and making memories to me is more important than what's going on outside. We then had to detrain in Albany and do a cross platform transfer to another section of the Maple Leaf because all of the cars don't have the right plating for Grand Central.

After we departed we had a beautiful sunset ride down the Hudson Valley which is amazing. We had another dinner with my friend Tyler who joined us in Rhinecliff as we headed towards the city. Eventually we arrived on a long distance train into Grand Central so that was definitely unique and fun.

After our arrival our hotel was in Hoboken so we took a 4 train down to the World Trade Center area and walked underground to make a connection with Path. Path was not running frequently and was incredibly crowded. We went one stop I believe to where we had to transfer to our train to where our hotel was. We eventually arrived at the hotel and had a good time relaxing and unwinding.

Day 12: Homeward Bound

Tyler and I woke up early to go photograph Amtrak on the Park Avenue Viaduct because we thought it was something unique that should be coming to an end. So we went up to 125th St and just relaxed and talked which was refreshing. I think in the short hour we were there maybe 20 to 30 trains passed us.

Afterwards we took the 5 to the S to the 2 trains and I arrived back in time to get on the Silver Star. I was in the lounge maybe ten minutes before it was time to board. I walked up to the head end for a moment before returning to my room. I proceeded to put the bed down and relax for my trip south.

I stretched my legs in Washington for the engine change before returning back to my room to relax down the RF&P. We were caught behind a Commuter train and running approach the whole way so we lost some time. I had another cafe burger for dinner before settling down to sleep near the NC/VA state line.

I awoke fifteen minutes from my stop because my attendant was waking me up. Quickly packed up my things, made the room back up, and went to the vestibule to get off. My dad picked me up and we were at my house fifteen minutes later. And more importantly I was in my bed twenty minutes after I got off the train.

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1537217256.098026.jpg

Toronto from the hotel.

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1537217272.149307.jpg

Union Station Toronto.

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1537217289.265217.jpg

The Westbound Canadian at Toronto.

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1537217311.002561.jpg

Go Transit.

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1537217331.952674.jpg

Union Pearson Express.

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1537217369.038858.jpg

The VIa Rail Yard

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1537217387.925106.jpg

Via rail private cars.

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1537217408.475460.jpg

Crossing the border.

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1537217427.655626.jpg

Buffalo Central Terminal.

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1537217455.515082.jpg

I don't know which city it is.

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1537217470.913840.jpg

Adirondack Scenic Railway.

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1537217489.299065.jpg

An ALCO at Utica.

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1537217514.954937.jpg

A New York Central RS1

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1537217533.107411.jpg

Babbling Brook.

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1537217548.323039.jpg

Two Maple Leafs at Albany.

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1537217589.792390.jpg

Maple Leaf No. 1 backing into the shop

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1537217612.449269.jpg

Sunset over the Hudson.

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1537217625.560111.jpg

The Maple Leaf at Grand Central.

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1537217660.413593.jpg

Grand Central Terminal.

I honestly didn't pay much attention to the scenery because getting to know people and making memories to me is more important than what's going on outside. We then had to detrain in Albany and do a cross platform transfer to another section of the Maple Leaf because all of the cars don't have the right plating for Grand Central.
I'm confused. You had to transfer to a different Maple Leaf at Albany? What was the issue with the train you were on?

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1537217866.957260.jpg

Turboliners in NJ
Where in NJ were those? I've been down the NEC dozens of time and I've never seen those.

Great report, thanks for taking us along!

That 'upstate' NY city is Rochester...the landmark Kodak Tower in the background....
default_smile.png

I'm confused. You had to transfer to a different Maple Leaf at Albany? What was the issue with the train you were on?
Didn't all trains beyond Albany require a transfer to and from NYG?

I thought it was to transfer to one of the special "shuttle trains" that had its dual mode locomotives set up to use MN's under-running third rail?

I forgot to mention the "nose door" requirement for the engineer...

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought it was to transfer to one of the special "shuttle trains" that had its dual mode locomotives set up to use MN's under-running third rail?

The Maple Leafs usually run with a P32 the whole way, so that wouldn't be the reason to have to switch.

Wonderful trip report and lovely photos of gorgeous Canada and beautiful trains--thanks!
default_smile.png

I haven't seen the Turboliners in NJ either--they look nice. Do you remember approximately where you were in the state when you took that picture?

Grand Central as I'm sure Third Rail could state has a more restrictive plating if I recall. I know one of the tanks on our PVs has been notched out so it can clear the third rail. It's all around tighter in there.

The turboliners were somewhere near MetroPark I believe.

The Maple Leafs usually run with a P32 the whole way, so that wouldn't be the reason to have to switch.
The Maple Leaf that he rode from Toronto, and shown in the picture, had engine 101, not a P32

The Maple Leaf that he rode from Toronto, and shown in the picture, had engine 101, not a P32
I understand that. However that wouldn't have been the reason to do a switch. In normal operation, when it's one train from Toronto to NYC, the P32 runs the whole way.

You would need to have enough cars with the clearance. And likely they really don't have enough for it available. So they short turned a set to become the Maple Leaf. It costs money to do modification work.

Back