Stephen Gardner new Amtrak president

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So is it time to just throw in the towel?

If the National network can’t be expanded - and Corridor service can’t be expanded beyond Roanoke freaking Virginia - then why bother?

And with knuckleheads like Stephen Gardner continuously being promoted - it’s not like Amtrak is inspiring any confidence.

If the National network can’t be expanded - and Corridor service can’t be expanded beyond Roanoke freaking Virginia - then why bother?

And with knuckleheads like Stephen Gardner continuously being promoted - it’s not like Amtrak is inspiring any confidence.
I would humbly point out that my admittedly dark opinion based on four decades of experience does not necessarily equate to universal truth. Even I still continue to campaign and advocate on.

I would humbly point out that my admittedly dark opinion based on four decades of experience does not necessarily equate to universal truth. Even I still continue to campaign and advocate on.
Though reality and history points toward a dark future for Amtrak, I continue to dream, hope, and advocate for a bright future, hopefully sooner than later. Of course everyone is treading water until sometime after January 20th.
I don't want to waste time on impossible goals but if I was convinced a project was assured success there would be little reason to advocate for it in the first place. I personally think supporting a mix of possible and plausible projects of varying size and duration makes for the best use of an advocates time and money, while focusing real effort on pipe dreams and sure things does not seem to benefit anyone outside of the usual middlemen.

Last edited:

Corridors can be expanded wherever states are willing to pay for them. Without rewriting the rule book, that’s how it is. I personally agree with that.

The national network is being dismantled from within, which is quite concerning.

But that’s all the reason NOT to throw in the towel. Encourage states to invest in corridors. Point to Virginia, North Carolina, Michigan, etc. for examples of how it can work.

And continue to encourage for DAILY service on Amtrak’s national network and for full meal service for ALL passengers, Coach and Sleeper. The current food service is not adequate for long distance trains in my opinion.

The three times a week long distance in my opinion is not a ploy and I do not believe there are any plans to try to make it permanent. Flynn and Gardner have both conceded that the three times a week doesn't save money in normal times and that this only saves money because of how badly COVID is depressing ridership. The bipartisan stimulus proposal includes supplemental operational subsidies of $1 billion for Amtrak for operations through March. If this gets in the final bill I wouldn't be surprised to see daily service return in the first quarter of 2021.

The three times a week long distance in my opinion is not a ploy and I do not believe there are any plans to try to make it permanent. Flynn and Gardner have both conceded that the three times a week doesn't save money in normal times and that this only saves money because of how badly COVID is depressing ridership. The bipartisan stimulus proposal includes supplemental operational subsidies of $1 billion for Amtrak for operations through March. If this gets in the final bill I wouldn't be surprised to see daily service return in the first quarter of 2021.
Dont bet your house on this happening! The Pandemic is gonna get MUCH Worse in the next couple of Months!!!

Dont bet your house on this happening! The Pandemic is gonna get MUCH Worse in the next couple of Months!!!
The idea of this stimulus proposal. at least on the transit side of things, is to cover the next few months and then things could be re-evaluated in March to see if further stimulus is needed based on where we are with the vaccine, etc. If Amtrak resumes daily service and things are just as bad in March, they'd obviously need more supplemental funding at that point to continue doing so.

Things are going to change, and not just in rail. I believe the so-called "national network" will have to be expanded. But probably in frequency first. A bunch of one-a-days makes no sense. Several a day from NY to Chicago? That makes too much sense to omit.

It cannot be on the same route though, is the thing. The smaller towns on the Water Level Route don't have the demand to justify it. If you wanted say two trains per direction per day between CHI and NYP, then one can go across the WLR and the other should traverse the AML and Canada. Or forget splitting the LSL in ALB and run the LSL CHI-BOS via the AML and run a new train over the WLR in the LSL's old time slot.

It cannot be on the same route though, is the thing. The smaller towns on the Water Level Route don't have the demand to justify it. If you wanted say two trains per direction per day between CHI and NYP, then one can go across the WLR and the other should traverse the AML and Canada. Or forget splitting the LSL in ALB and run the LSL CHI-BOS via the AML and run a new train over the WLR in the LSL's old time slot.

It is almost certain that we will never see a CHI - NYP train traverse Canada again, at least not in the foreseeable future. Those days are behind us. Any AML (Amtrak Michigan Line) routed CHI - NYP train will use the WLR east of Toledo. One could get route via NS east of Cleveland, if that, and that is about it. Maybe someday one could go via the NY Southern Tier at most, after service becomes possible. But Canada? Fuggedaboudit, as they'd say in Brooklyn.

The smaller towns on the Water Level Route don't have the demand to justify it.

I’m not sure that’s true. Many of those smaller towns are currently served at terrible hours. Routing a nyc-Chicago train through Michigan would be a good idea though.

Routing a nyc-Chicago train through Michigan would be a good idea though.
I would prefer it if they would reroute the Washington (Capitol) train thru Michigan, and leave the Lake Shore as is. Perhaps even further reroute the Cap via the historic B&O routing thru Youngstown and Akron, to add even more diversity...

I would prefer it if they would reroute the Washington (Capitol) train thru Michigan, and leave the Lake Shore as is. Perhaps even further reroute the Cap via the historic B&O routing thru Youngstown and Akron, to add even more diversity...

I think the Capitol and Lake Shore should both stay on the routes they currently have. I think an additional NYC - Chicago Train should travel through Michigan.

The whole add another train to route thing is not for diversity. It for better utility of fixed cost such as station. Multi train service give people better options on when to travel. Therefore more passenger. I missed my train ever once in a while. Once from Belgium to Frankfort had to wait a hour for the next one. Miss a train in Kansas City had to grab Southwest to make the Lake Shore later that evening. Frequent service brings passengers to the rails. Frequent service lower the fix cost of running a train.

Stephen Gardner was part of the team that got the 750 mile rule passed in Congress. Only thing that I happy about is a report on how he PO the future First Lady.

Change is happening, and where will be after the pandemic is a open question.

I think we have all we can do just to preserve the existing network and get it back to daily operation with some restored amenities which make long distance train travel an enjoyable alternative to other modes of transport.

The whole add another train to route thing is not for diversity. It for better utility of fixed cost such as station. Multi train service give people better options on when to travel. Therefore more passenger.
True. So...should they shift the Star into the Meteor and Palmetto route the rest of the way to Savannah?

The Capitol Limited would have to be swapped for single-level cars then in order to take advantage of the 110 mph running across the AML. The Supers are limited to I believe 100.

The whole add another train to route thing is not for diversity. It for better utility of fixed cost such as station. Multi train service give people better options on when to travel. Therefore more passenger. I missed my train ever once in a while. Once from Belgium to Frankfort had to wait a hour for the next one. Miss a train in Kansas City had to grab Southwest to make the Lake Shore later that evening. Frequent service brings passengers to the rails. Frequent service lower the fix cost of running a train.

Stephen Gardner was part of the team that got the 750 mile rule passed in Congress. Only thing that I happy about is a report on how he PO the future First Lady.

Change is happening, and where will be after the pandemic is a open question.

Agreed on the first paragraph. Amtrak recognized the potential for a ridership increase for the Michigan stations by re-routing the LSL. There's a sample timetable floating around somewhere when Amtrak was going to pilot an LSL reroute over the Michigan Line, if I can find it I'll post it.

I think we have all we can do just to preserve the existing network and get it back to daily operation with some restored amenities which make long distance train travel an enjoyable alternative to other modes of transport.

Unless I am misinterpreting your post, that isn't all we can do, nor is it all we should do.

Read:
https://www.railwayage.com/passenger/intercity/defining-amtraks-true-mission/

In a perfect world IMHO opinion there would be two trains a day between Chicago and Washington, D.C. And one to NYC and one to Boston. one Chicago to Washington service could leave in the morning and travel via the Michigan Line and then on to Cleveland, Pittsburg, and Washington, D.C arriving early in the morning. The second Chicago Washington train travel the traditional route at the traditional time. The return service from Washington would have a morning departure with day time stops through Cleveland before continuing to Chicago on the traditional route arriving early in the morning to ensure west coast connections. The second train departs Washington D.C.at the traditional time but provide a morning trip through Michigan before arriving Chicago in mid-afternoon.

The NYC/Bos service would operate as follows. One Chicago NYC train would depart in the morning and operate via Pittsburg and Harrisburg to NYC arriving early the next morning. The Boston train would depart mid afternoon, travel through Michigan, and continue on to Boston arriving Boston about noon the next day. The second CHI-NCY train departs at the current time and follows the current route and schedule to NYC. The return trips would be as follows.

An 8 a.m. departure from NYC to Pittsburg and then Cleveland and on east to Chicago. The Boston train departs 9 a.m. and then continues to Toledo, with a run through Michigan in the morning before arriving Chicago. The second NYC train departs in the current slot as the LSL and that is that.

In order for this to be feasible the Federal government would have to provide funding for separate110 mph trackage between Union Station and Porter, Indiana to avoid freight interference that is notorious for this section. A third track could be built east from Porter most of the way to Albany. The NYC right of way provides space for a 3 and 4 tracks for most of this distance. This would allow the passenger trains to move in move in both directions with little delay.

Back