Stolen and crashed Horizon airliner

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well at least AA's smallest E135 37 seater's are long gone...

Riding those were as close to a 'corporate jet' as I ever got...
default_smile.png
Ditto!

Just what I was afraid of...another stolen airplane and crash....

https://abcnews.go.com/US/pilot-dies-plane-crashes-utah-home-couple-inside/story?id=57152375

While the circumstances were much different in the latter case, a licensed pilot this time, and a business aircraft, I still have to wonder what the possibility was of the news of the first event, inspiring this one....

And I certainly hope there are not any more....
This actually reminds me of this January 2002 incident, which was apparently directly inspired by the 9/11 attacks.

(Something the Wikipedia article doesn't specifically call out is that January 5, 2002, was a Saturday, and particularly in the evening hours, the building was all but deserted.)

There was another incident a few years later where a man flew his airplane into the IRS building in downtown Austin.

Last edited by a moderator:
In my eye's, the most heinous of all was this one https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EgyptAir_Flight_990

While it wasn't as bad as the 9-11 disaster, it was not "for a cause", but rather just a suicide....

People wanting to end their lives should simply swallow a bottle of sleeping pills, and not put their misery on innocent other's....
For me, this is the most disturbing one. For weeks, I couldn't stop thinking about it.
Maybe that was the one I was thinking about...mixed them up....

Some years ago, a teenager student pilot crashed his plane into an office building in Tampa. By chance he hit the office of an attorney friend of mine who happened not to be working that Saturday.

No one was hurt other than the pilot who was killed.

In my eye's, the most heinous of all was this one https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EgyptAir_Flight_990

While it wasn't as bad as the 9-11 disaster, it was not "for a cause", but rather just a suicide....

People wanting to end their lives should simply swallow a bottle of sleeping pills, and not put their misery on innocent other's....
For me, this is the most disturbing one. For weeks, I couldn't stop thinking about it.
You almost certainly were. That EgyptAir flight was not a suicide. Also, since you said that someone wanting to end their life should "simply swallow a bottle of sleeping pills", wouldn't it be a bit better for them to seek help and not kill themselves, or anyone else? Just a thought.

The NTSB ruled that the probable cause of the Eygpt Air crash was most likely the deliberate action of the reserve first officer. That would be suicide. That finding was unacceptable to Egyptian Authorities who reached a different set of conclusions..

since you said that someone wanting to end their life should "simply swallow a bottle of sleeping pills", wouldn't it be a bit better for them to seek help and not kill themselves, or anyone else? Just a thought.
Yes, they should definitely seek out help by at least calling the national suicide prevention hotline. I am just saying that if they still are determined to go though with it, they should not take innocent victims with them...

I am surprised that nobody - and I haven't seen it in the media either - have made reference to the 1999 Air Botswana crash, that is eerily similar to the current Horizon one. A disaffected employee, in this case a pilot who had lost his certification multiple times, stole an airplane (the same class as plane as in Horizon Q400, an ATR-42), flew around the airport for a few hours, then crashed it. In the case of Air Botswana, the pilot crashed into the other two ATR-42 on the ground, which made up the remainder of the airworthy Air Botswana fleet. This caused the already struggling airline to lease more planes, putting it even deeper into a financial hole.

I am surprised that nobody - and I haven't seen it in the media either - have made reference to the 1999 Air Botswana crash, that is eerily similar to the current Horizon one. A disaffected employee, in this case a pilot who had lost his certification multiple times, stole an airplane (the same class as plane as in Horizon Q400, an ATR-42), flew around the airport for a few hours, then crashed it. In the case of Air Botswana, the pilot crashed into the other two ATR-42 on the ground, which made up the remainder of the airworthy Air Botswana fleet. This caused the already struggling airline to lease more planes, putting it even deeper into a financial hole.
But in that case, the guy *crashed into the airport* and destroyed two other planes. With this Horizon incident he took it on a "joyride" and crashed into an uninhabited island. He destroyed the plane and himself, but that's it. Also, the ATR-42 isn't really the same class as a Q400. It holds about half as many passengers as the latter.

But in that case, the guy *crashed into the airport* and destroyed two other planes. With this Horizon incident he took it on a "joyride" and crashed into an uninhabited island. He destroyed the plane and himself, but that's it. Also, the ATR-42 isn't really the same class as a Q400. It holds about half as many passengers as the latter.
Just as a minor clarification, there are people living on Ketron Island but no one was injured on the ground.

Back