Stranded no train � 6 , and no bus �

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigval109

OBS Chief
I was stranded in Reno yesterday when I arrived at the Reno train station 02/16/17.

I had been repeatedly assured that a bus would be there by Amtrak 1800 number. The whole trip has been a deluge of false and conflicting information about what was supposed to happen.

Needless to say I was in shock. I was told that I would have to get to SLC on my own take the Greyhound bus to SLC at and additional cost of $97. The trouble with that was the would arrive 3hrs after the train left. Therefore once again I'm stranded again at 3:00 am in bus station. This situation is a nightmare for an old man or anyone for that matter. I finally found a hotel in SLC on my dime because I didn't want to sit in the bus station for 29 + hours. So here I am waiting for the time to go to the train station at 2:00am. There were several people at Amtrak that tried to help me. And some went out of there way things better. Even the lady at the hotel was very kind. This was too much for an old man.

Also one thing I forgot to mention, I overheard the bus driver was asked why his bus was so full. His comments were we have a lot of Amtrak passengers that were trying to get to SLC to catch the train .

This conflicting misinformation in this situation is inexcusable. Get Customer Relations on the phone. Demand an explanation and some compensation for your inconvenience. I understand if they are unable to run the train. If they are unable to provide a bus, then you should be properly notified in advance. Don't take just an apology. And you could write to Wick Moorman and tell them you don't want a reply from a gobbledygook assistant.

The Amtrak weather situation is getting worse instead of better. Originally would have recommended this route either way:

Bay area - LAX Starlight - SW chief to Raton - Thruway bus to DEN then CAL Z Either way to SLC or toward Omaha. If to / from CHI SW Chief LAX - CHI.

But the problem of the Starlight route with multi mudslides that may be impossible unless you use Bay area to Bakersfield and thruway to SW Chief.

All in all that will be a real adventure not very good for any physically challenged person.

For any person already booked and who may be able to take this route demand Amtrak rebook at no additional cost. Do your homework and TELL Amtrak that the route(s) involved have space so does it want to loose revenue or book you at same price ?

If going to CHI can go Starlight - Portland, OR - Empire Builder to CHI. But again the weather may delay you to PDX requiring a bus to connect to/ from Builder.

Another route not possible would be Thruways Portland -Boise; Boise- SLC that does not make connections

Or make it simple and just fly, as several of my friends did after getting stranded in Shelby or Cut Bank on the Empire Builder. They managed to rake a bus to Great Falls and then flew to their destination.

american-airlines-dc-3-super-144-airplane-14490-plastic-model-kit-by-american-airlines.jpg

New Update:

I tried to do as several of you suggest and I talked to someone with customer relations, it was as if I was lying about being stranded. Their computer said their was a bus and at first they said I left before the bus got there . I told them there was no bus and I had to go to the bus station to get to SLC. The lady wanted me to fax all my paperwork. Hey this is nothing to lie about. Then she said she could give me a $50 voucher. I was really pissed off. It cost me a lot more than that because there was no bus . At present I'm at a loss for what to do next. Amtrak is very closed wallet about refunds and travel certificates. To me it's not worth running up my blood pressure for 50$ to rehash the story over and over again. I give up.

This is what drives people away from Amtrak, and lead them to say, "never again". If you ever choose to ride Amtrak again, I hope you choose a route with a lesser chance of being impacted by these events, and I wish you a pleasant trip.

The Coast Starlight is great.

Write to the CEO of Amtrak, Wick Moorman -- you can find the HQ address on the Amtrak website.

I'm serious. He's brand new, he doesn't know what sort of garbage is being done by the people below him, he needs to know.

That happened to be a couple years ago.

Took the train into boston during a snow storm. Planned on taking the 695 back.

When I arrived to head back, no train. I expected that since tracking was showing it running late.

But then I was told all trains were cancelled. But no further information

Then I was told there would be a bus to take me home. OK

A bus arrived, but was told that was for the earlier 693 train that was cancelled.

So I'm told to wait, and the bus leaves. I'm in no hurry.

Then I'm told that bus was actually for 693 and 695.

I get that weather happens. and it causes problems.

But the agent is now telling me that no more buses and trains.

I'm officially stranded, but agent talks about hotel options.

Suddenly the 695 shows up! 1 hour late as expected.

But the agent is telling me its actually 699, hours early.

Early? I ask to move my ticket over from 695 to 699.

But I'm told that there is a "freeze", and no tickets can be assigned to 699.

It is officially a ghost train. Nobody can board???

This is obviously ridiculous. I find the conductor.

He tells me its actually 695, but they renamed it to 699

Technically, trains 697 and 699 are parked.

But they are called it 699 hoping to scoop up 695, 697 and 699 passengers.

So I made it home. It was just one of those weird things that were handled poorly by Amtrak due to communication issues. Maine is probobly worse then some since technically are trains are part of NNEPRA. They make the decisions... and that has to trickle down to Maine.

If you are still stuck, let me know here, or message me. I can try and get you a non-rev seat on my airline back to some place. I love trains, but Amtrak is simply pathetic any more, and actually managing to make the airlines look competent!

I tried to do as several of you suggest and I talked to someone with customer relations, it was as if I was lying about being stranded. Their computer said their was a bus and at first they said I left before the bus got there . I told them there was no bus and I had to go to the bus station to get to SLC. The lady wanted me to fax all my paperwork. Hey this is nothing to lie about. Then she said she could give me a $50 voucher. I was really pissed off. It cost me a lot more than that because there was no bus . At present I'm at a loss for what to do next. Amtrak is very closed wallet about refunds and travel certificates. To me it's not worth running up my blood pressure for 50$ to rehash the story over and over again. I give up.
I'm sorry to hear about your frustrating experiences and unsatisfactory outcome. Unfortunately our forum appears to be stuck in perpetual denial/disinterest when it comes how Amtrak responds to serious adversity. Even the Amtrak staff who post here seem more concerned about posting cutesy memes and wrapping trivial updates inside broken riddles than assisting or even sympathizing with paid customers trying to navigate through and recover from major service failures. I wish I could do more than commiserate but I hope you'll eventually find a long distance train ride you truly enjoy, with or without Amtrak.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are still stuck, let me know here, or message me. I can try and get you a non-rev seat on my airline back to some place. I love trains, but Amtrak is simply pathetic any more, and actually managing to make the airlines look competent!
He was stuck on February 16th. If he's still stuck, there are likely other issues at hand.

He was stuck on February 16th. If he's still stuck, there are likely other issues at hand.
My bad, didn't see the date.

My bad, didn't see the date.
Either way it was a nice offer to make to someone in need.

I talked to another person in customer relations and I found out that the other lady straight up and lied to me. She read to me what was already in their system about me having been stranded. She was able to give me a voucher to cover the cost of the bus ticket. I was thinking I'm just out of $147.00 but the Lord works in mysterious ways. The price of one ☝️ of my tickets for May dropped $130.00 from $292.00. Thus I consider myself compensated for my loss. The Bible says things work out for good for those who love the Lord.

Good on you for phoning Amtrak again rather than just accepting what the first woman said. As Ben Franklin said, God helps those who help themselves.

New Update:

I tried to do as several of you suggest and I talked to someone with customer relations, it was as if I was lying about being stranded. Their computer said their was a bus and at first they said I left before the bus got there . I told them there was no bus and I had to go to the bus station to get to SLC. The lady wanted me to fax all my paperwork. Hey this is nothing to lie about.
I have to ask, were you the only passenger "stranded" there at the Reno station?

At the time I was there I was the only one. I was told to be there at or before 4:00 pm. So I was there. A little later 2 other came in and was turned away. I got a ride to the Greyhound bus station from one of those left behind. While at the station I overheard the bus driver being asked about why his bus was so full. His reply was it was all those Amtrak people trying to get to SLC.

As a non believer, I was interested that you ascribe your good fortune with the May lower fare to "loving the Lord".

Did you feel that all your initial travel problems were his work too, or was that just the weather?

Glad it all worked out for you anyway.

Ed.

I also believe that things happen for a reason. It's not always about what happened,but about what didn't happen. May God continue to bless you.

Patriotism is not the "Last refuge of Scoundrels", Religion is!

As a life long skeptic, I might be willing to consider the God Squaders claims about "God" being on their side when good things happen, if they would give equal credit for the terrible and sad things that happen in this life! YMMV

"To each his own, it's all unknown.."

Bob Dylan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back