Strasburg 475 involved in collision

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NSC1109

OBS Chief
2E9BEE23-CE2E-4C4D-BA23-949E3E9B0336.jpeg

Happened today at Paradise. Smoke box door destroyed.

Crew is entirely to blame here. Should’ve stopped short of the improperly lined switch and barring that, should’ve stopped short of equipment on the tracks. Just from watching the video there’s 5 or 6 GCOR violations leading up to this.

I don't know how they can claim copyright on a random strangers video.
It is possible that someone at Youtube went a bit overboard and erred on the side of safety for Youtube by removing all videos of the incident without regard to source and actual Copyright ownership.

Jumping back on here…

It amazes me that in all of the comments on social media and boards about this that so few people know the meaning and purpose of “restricted speed” and insist that the blame falls on whoever parked the equipment there, not the crew.

Jumping back on here…

It amazes me that in all of the comments on social media and boards about this that so few people know the meaning and purpose of “restricted speed” and insist that the blame falls on whoever parked the equipment there, not the crew.
Right. It is entirely the fault of the crew for being unable to stop within sight distance of the obstruction. Only mitigating factor possible would be a total brake failure or something like that I suppose.

The engineers was looking right and waving to the crowd. Seem a bit surprised when people started to yelling and point to the front of his engine. Oh well, no reports of anyone getting hurt, so it’s just damage to equipment. A bad thing, but much easier to replace/repair than a human.

I don't know how they can claim copyright on a random strangers video.
Some museums do not allow photography as a matter of policy (many art museums for example), or require that people wishing to take photographs submit to certain legal requirements (which can include private use being acceptable but publication and sharing not). Such clauses can often be hidden in the small print and most visitors may not be aware. But it may indeed be possible that in such cases photographers do not have copyright to their own work.

If you are going to damage a steam locomotive, Strasburg is the place to do it. 475 back in service in 96 hours, according to a Trains' magazine report. And the reason is: "Strasburg’s shop, which is one of the best-equipped steam facilities in the nation, routinely maintains not only its own fleet of steam and diesel locomotives and cars but also fabricates and repairs railroad equipment for museums, other tourist roads, and amusement parks."

Back