Strates Carnival Train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carolyn Jane

Lead Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
I was sitting in Jesup, having seen 98 go through more than an hour late, and in comes - very slowly - the James E. Strates carnival train. Or part of it, anyway. Website says they were supposed to already be in Fishkill, NY. Anyway, it stopped with the engines right in front of the station. Sat there for about 15 minutes. I'm wondering...Since I was on the trackside opposite the station, and couldn;t see...If they just needed to use the bathroom, or had they ordered pizza for delivery...? CJ

Not sure how or when it arrived but Strates is on the lot in Fishkill and well along with setting up. It is an unusual (at least to me) set up. They are on the lot for almost 3 whole weeks but only open Fri-Sun each week. This is very unusual and likely expensive as compared to any traveling amusement company I've been around. I've always assumed they used these early dates as "shake down" and ride jock training before the season here in the Northeast gets into full swing.

There far to north for this time of year. Not a big follower, but they normally start in Florida and slow move north. Must of lost some of its contracts to run midways, so weekends show are better than nothing. Big business, very easy to lose a show date.

Just a snippet of circus train info..:

Did you know that Jumbo was the name of possibly the largest African elephant ever captured, and has become the worldwide descpiption for "huge" ever since, and he was killed when they were trying to load him onto a circus train when a steam locomotive ran into him on the track?

Ed :cool:

Just a snippet of circus train info..:

Did you know that Jumbo was the name of possibly the largest African elephant ever captured, and has become the worldwide descpiption for "huge" ever since, and he was killed when they were trying to load him onto a circus train when a steam locomotive ran into him on the track?

Ed :cool:
Must have been a gnarly train wreck! Wonder how the steam loco fared?

Back