Student Advantage Card

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan O

Conductor
Hey, just about to book our trip and my 20 yr old dtr has her Student Advantage card for a 15% discount. My son is 15 now and will be when I buy the tickets, but will be 16 when we travel so I am getting an adult ticket for him. I would get a student advantage ticket for him because we'd save some dough on the tickets BUT we homeschool so he doesn't have a student ID. Doesn't it seem like most 16-18 yr olds are in school and should automatically get the student discount? So we don't issue school IDs so I don't see how he can get the discount, though at barely 16 he is obviously a student.

Any ideas?

DanO

Hey, just about to book our trip and my 20 yr old dtr has her Student Advantage card for a 15% discount. My son is 15 now and will be when I buy the tickets, but will be 16 when we travel so I am getting an adult ticket for him. I would get a student advantage ticket for him because we'd save some dough on the tickets BUT we homeschool so he doesn't have a student ID. Doesn't it seem like most 16-18 yr olds are in school and should automatically get the student discount? So we don't issue school IDs so I don't see how he can get the discount, though at barely 16 he is obviously a student.
Any ideas?

DanO
Aloha

If you Home school How did the 20yr old get the Student Advantage card. Then also doesn't your state require some form of registration to qualify for Home School, Could that registration satisfy the requirements for Student Advantage card?

btw: in many states, at 16, a child can legally quit school, so that would be a reason for not being automatic.

Any ideas?

DanO
Aloha

If you Home school How did the 20yr old get the Student Advantage card. Then also doesn't your state require some form of registration to qualify for Home School, Could that registration satisfy the requirements for Student Advantage card?

btw: in many states, at 16, a child can legally quit school, so that would be a reason for not being automatic.
20 yr old is in college so has college ID.

for HSing we register online. But it has no kids names...just number of students in each grade. Well I may call and see what they say.

thanks

20 yr old is in college so has college ID.
for HSing we register online. But it has no kids names...just number of students in each grade. Well I may call and see what they say.

thanks
Dan, I agree. I'd just call them. The SA folks were very flexible back when I was a college student and I can't imagine that they don't have a procedure for verifying home school kids.

Rafi

Just out of curiosity, who issue stheir high school diploma? Do you just make up your own on Powerpoint? :D

I am just wondering if there is some "official" organization (possibly even your local school district), which can issue an ID for home school'ed kids.

Just out of curiosity, who issue stheir high school diploma? Do you just make up your own on Powerpoint? :D

I am just wondering if there is some "official" organization (possibly even your local school district), which can issue an ID for home school'ed kids.
RE diploma..yep, just print it up on computer. I just made it up on Works so it doesn't look all that good. But my dtr went to a jr college first and you don't even have to be a high school graduate to go there. In fact, she started there when she was in 10th grade.

I don't think the local school district would issue IDs for HSed kids. I guess one could just order one online someplace.

++++++

I sent an email to Amtrak and got this reply..

"You mentioned in your email, that your son has a California ID. If this ID is a photo ID, then this is an acceptable form of ID, and he will be able to use this in conjunction with his Student Advantage Card. "

DanO

Man that is one cheap diploma.

Man that is one cheap diploma.
It is cheap. But I don't recall doing anything w/ my own nicer diploma except losing it. This one can be reprinted as needed....and has been.

Dan-o,

I'm 16 and in january ordered a SA card and it pays off in the end. You can order the card in 1-4 year increments. Very Affordable. You will get savings almost any where.

Acela150

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back