Sudden roomette price increase

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

Sidney

OBS Chief
Looking into an April trip I picked a random date for the Coast Starlight and from Lax to Klamath Falls is $288 for a roomette. To Pdx it's $394. By moving to Coach in Klamath I save $70. Thats 23 hours in a sleeper with three meals. I thought of transferring to the EB to Chi but at $860 I'll pass

Many people plan trips with connections. A 30 day chart showing sleeper fares would be most welcome. I got a $505 fare from Chi to Sea next month in a roomette. I wanted to takethe CS to Sac the next day but the low bucket was gone,so I manually looked.up dates where low bucket pricing was in effect for all my conne tions It takes time and being flexible,it can be done

It

niemi24s

Engineer
And, just in case you hadn't noticed, all Amtrak fare increases are sudden. Never saw a slow one.

Same goes for fare decreases.

• Haha
Reactions: jis

zephyr17

Engineer
Well, everyone complains about VIA's fares, but in a trip I am planning for early April I found that the roomette fares on VIA from Toronto to Vancouver are roughly the same as the roomette fares from New York to Seattle (via LSL and EB) for my travel dates. The Amtrak fares are almost double what I am paying for the same trip in November, the LSL roomette alone is 740, which is high bucket . I was originally planning to do Everett-Vancouver-Toronto-New York and then return from New York on Amtrak, since the trip is basically about returning to ride the Canadian. With fares about the same, I'd rather just stay on VIA which is a much better product for the money.
I just bought the tickets and locked down VIA round trip Vancouver-Toronto in a roomette with my Privilege status 50% off coupon. Total price is $1857.61 USD ($2319.45 CAD) all in round trip . Considering that Amtrak one way coming back NYP-SEA was over $1700, I think that is a stellar deal for a better product.

That 50% off coupon is gold. If you go Vancouver-Toronto one way in a room you get status ($999 CAD spend with VIA is the threshold) and that coupon. Even without the coupon, the $1900 CAD discount class roomette fare winds up competitive with Amtrak fares. I thought the coupon would apply only to travel one direction, it turns out they applied the 50% discount to both legs. Learn something new every day. One other fun fact, if your origin is Toronto instead of Vancouver, the taxes are twice as high. Found that out checking the one way fares. Round trip, the Vancouver level taxes apply to the whole trip.

OBS

Conductor
AU Supporter
I just bought the tickets and locked down VIA round trip Vancouver-Toronto in a roomette with my Privilege status 50% off coupon. Total price is $1857.61 USD ($2319.45 CAD) all in round trip . Considering that Amtrak one way coming back NYP-SEA was over $1700, I think that is a stellar deal for a better product.

That 50% off coupon is gold. If you go Vancouver-Toronto one way in a room you get status ($999 CAD spend with VIA is the threshold) and that coupon. Even without the coupon, the $1900 CAD discount class roomette fare winds up competitive with Amtrak fares. I thought the coupon would apply only to travel one direction, it turns out they applied the 50% discount to both legs. Learn something new every day. One other fun fact, if your origin is Toronto instead of Vancouver, the taxes are twice as high. Found that out checking the one way fares. Round trip, the Vancouver level taxes apply to the whole trip.
Great info....thanks. I have coupon to use and this info is very helpful....especially about the taxes!

Bob Dylan

50+ Year Amtrak Rider
Great info....thanks. I have coupon to use and this info is very helpful....especially about the taxes!
Yep, in Canada you have the Federal GAST ( National Sales Tax)and each Provence has its own Taxes, plus any Local ones.

BC has lower Taxes than Ontario, hence you save when you buy in Vancouver as the OP points out.

plane2train

Train Attendant
Don't forget as well that there are fares and then there are buckets. It's altogether possible for one fare bucket to have several fare changes over a year. This year, I got lucky by waiting to book until the fares came down. I believe I ended up booking like 3 months out or something. But I had to check pretty frequently. You have to ask yourself what your sweet spot is and wait for it if you can or try different dates.

KiraPi

Train Attendant
I booked a trip for October back in April. For funzies, I occasionally check to see how much it costs if I were to book it now. So far, I'm saving $637 on the trip from Seattle to NYC. Plus, I applied for the Amtrak BoA credit card so I also got $100 off the fare and enough points to get tickets for a trip to Baltimore for my and my husband.
If I were to book the trip now, I wouldn't be doing it. The cost got crazy at some point.

Sidney

OBS Chief
Always wanting to ride,I looked into April dates. I did get a roomette from Lax to Klamath Falls for $288,and Coach for $38 to Pdx. 24 hours in a roomette,three meals and I usually am in the SSL car during the day so saving $70 for the seven hour ride to PDX was worth it.

I then checked roomette fares to Lax from Pa. and back after Pdx. Way too high for me. A $850 rate from Chicago to Albuquerque in a roomette over $1100 to LA.Somebody will pay that. I won't. I'll fly to Lax on Southwest for $125 to $150 from BWI and fly back from Pdx for $150 to $175 and get a train ride in the middle.

I have been doing circle trips on Amtrak for over thirty years. Trying to get low buckets that connect is getting harder and harder..and this is for April 2022.

• Sad
Reactions: Cal

Michigan Mom

OBS Chief
I've been perusing roomette prices out of North Carolina (Raleigh and other stations) either to NYP or South Florida for a while now. In a nutshell, the rooms are selling and I'm priced out of that market.
OTOH the rail options between Charlotte and Durham are quite appealing, only $25 Coach. Of course, if going to one of the airports there'd be ancillary Uber or Bus cost. If the Carolinian and Piedmonts are decently reliable this is going to be a good option when I'm in the area which will be happening. Same for service as far as WAS - 7 hours, daytime, which would be about my limit in Coach and quite reasonable fares. Bottom line Roomette pricing seems to really depend on the city pair and personal judgment as to whether it's worth it. I'd still pay the low bucket on the LSL, but the Florida trains are out of the question.