Suggestion for Amtrak winter vacation spot?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yumacool

Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
My wife and I are planning to vacation on Amtrak this winter to a destination we do not yet know -- but I'm open to suggestions! We're not skiers, so that's not a concern. We're looking for a historic hotel of some type in the west or mid-west that would be a great winter destination, such as in a wooded area, in a downtown area, and with a fireplace in the lobby or even in the room. In previous years we visited the Timberline Lodge outside Portland, the Castaneda in Las Vegas, New Mexico, the La Posada in Winslow, Arizona, the Crawford Hotel in Denver, the Izaak Walton Inn, Montana, the Olympic Club in Centralia, Wash., and the Denver Hotel in Glenwood Springs, Colo.

I understand the Glacier Park Lodge is closed during the winter, so that's out. I thought about Leavenworth, Wash., but am afraid it will be too touristy. Anyone been there?

I'll really appreciate any thoughts or recommendations ...

Last edited:
I've never been there, but a friend said he had a great time visiting Telluride, Colorado in the winter on a ski trip. A historic old town (Butch Cassidy robbed a bank, there, in 1889). You could take the Zephyr to Grand Junction, CO, then rent a car for the drive south to Telluride, about a 3.5 to 4 hour drive. I have driven the rode from Grand Junction to Montrose to Durango. One of the most scenic drives in the country.

The Lake Quinault Lodge, one of four lodges in Washington State's Olympic National Park, might fit your bill. It has fireplace rooms. The Park is on the Olympic Peninsula, a little far removed from Amtrak Seattle. The lodge is running a winter special - two nights for the price of one. I have not stayed at the lodge, but I explored the park a lot in the old days. The drive up Hurricane Ridge is spectacular.

Here are links to the lodge site itself and to the four lodges in the park. (Some are not open all year round.)

https://www.olympicnationalparks.com/lodging/lake-quinault-lodge/
https://www.olympicnationalparks.co...hGoMSQ_vGH3M8JKJm2PT2PlRvM6dI4YhoCFbQQAvD_BwE

I would suggest looking at Santa Fe and for hotels there I would suggesst La Fonda, Hotel St. Francis or the Inn of the Governors.

I enthusiastically second that suggestion. Northern New Mexico in winter is (usually) sunny and brilliant with dazzling bright skies that remarkably keep you from feeling the daytime chill. Bring sunscreen. Nights are cold and clear. I've done a fair bit of winter hiking around Santa Fe and Taos, even a memorable New Year's Day picnic at the bottom of the Rio Grande gorge. Thumbs up to two of your three lodging suggestions (LaFonda and St. Francis, both historic and lovely, different styles...the first is vibrant and colorful, the second serene and monastic-inspired). Not so much the Inn of the Governors, a glorified motel.

If you don't want to rent a car, you don't have to: take the Southwest Chief to Albuquerque and RailRunner to Santa Fe. Of course if you do rent a car, that creates opportunities for interesting day trips like Los Alamos and El Santuario de Chimayo and the High (or Low) Road to Taos. I personally prefer the Low.

(note: edited 10/17 to fix typo...oops, I prefer the so-called "Low" or "River" Road to Taos! I accidentally typed "High." See The High and Low Roads Between Santa Fe and Taos for a comparison of the two routes. In a nutshell, you take the so-called [and misnamed] Low Road for the topography, the High Road for the stops en route.)

Last edited:
Also check out the National Park Inn in Longmire, WA, in the Mount Rainier National Park. It's open in the winter. Historic structure with a fireplace in the library and great mountain views, although the driving conditions to reach it might be a bit challenging depending on the weather. No phone or internet in the rooms.

We had planned a stay there on our last big trip in February 2019, but wound up canceling that portion of the trip after the Canadian arrived a whole day late into Vancouver. (It had been as much as 36 hours late around Edmonton when we decided to rearrange our plans.) Added a shorter visit to Seattle instead. The original plan had been to take the morning Cascades from Vancouver to Kelso-Longview, then rent a car from there, returning in time for the southbound Coast Starlight a couple of days later.

Last edited:
All Wonderful suggestions, take a look @ a Texas Vacation with all suggested spots along the Sunset Ltd Route.

First you have San Antonio which has several Historic Hotels ( Google them up) located downtown around the Alamo and the Riverwalk.

Winters are Mild with mostly Sunny Days and Cool, to Cold Nights.

If you have a Car you can visit the Texas Hill Country andfollow the Mission Trail South of the City.

Farther West, in the Davis Mountains are the Triangle Cities of Alpine ( Sunset Ltd calls 3 times a week),the Artist Colony of Marfa and the old timey Ft Davis with its McDonald Observatory ( dont miss a Star Party @ Night)and the nicely restored Ft Davis.

You can rent a Car from Mom and Pop Alpine rentals( they'll meet the Trains).

Recommended Hotels are The Nicely Restored Railroad Hotel The Holland in Alpine ( next to the Amtrak Station), the Historic Paisano in Marfa ( the Cast of the Movie Giant stayed there) and the Olympia in Ft Davis.

Days are mostly Sunny and Cool to Warm ( it occasionally Snows in Jan and Feb) with Cold, Clear nights including the best Night Views of the Milky Way in the US along with the Marfa Lights between Alpine and Marfa on Old Highway 90.

Big Bend National Park is a Hour and a Half Drive South and the Drive along the Rio Grande between Terlingua and Presidio is one not to miss!

If you go to Big Bend, a trip across the River to the Small Mexican Village of Boquillas via Row Boat and a Donkey ride up the Hill for Lunch in one of the "Cafes" located in peoples houses is one not to miss.

Last edited:
All Wonderful suggestions, take a look @ a Texas Vacation with all suggested spots along the Sunset Ltd Route.

First you have San Antonio which has several Historic Hotels ( Google them up) located downtown around the Alamo and the Riverwalk.
Good suggestion indeed. And to be specific - the Hotel Menger in San Antonio is great and be sure to try the Mango ice cream there.

And the Holland House in Alpine is a great suggestion and as I recall there is a great hotel in either Valentine or Marathon but I forget the name.

Good suggestion indeed. And to be specific - the Hotel Menger in San Antonio is great and be sure to try the Mango ice cream there.

And the Holland House in Alpine is a great suggestion and as I recall there is a great hotel in either Valentine or Marathon but I forget the name.
It's "The Gage" in Marathon.

Not much left in Valentine, it's almost a Ghost Town now!

It's "The Gage" in Marathon.
Thanks for remembering the name and here it is:

https://gagehotel.com/
Of course to take Amtrak and stay in Marfa or Marathon, one would have to find transportation there from Alpine since Amtrak does not stop at Marfa or Marathon. (I think they were flag stops for the secondary Southern Pacific passenger trains years ago.)

Not so with the Holland Hotel in Alpine since it is right on the main street almost across from the Amtrak station in Alpine.

Thanks for remembering the name and here it is:

https://gagehotel.com/
Of course to take Amtrak and stay in Marfa or Marathon, one would have to find transportation there from Alpine since Amtrak does not stop at Marfa or Marathon. (I think they were flag stops for the secondary Southern Pacific passenger trains years ago.)

Not so with the Holland Hotel in Alpine since it is right on the main street almost across from the Amtrak station in Alpine.
Alpine Rentals in Alpine is THE Go to Place for Car Rentals.

And you are correct, the SP Passengers Trains (other than the Streamliner Sunset Ltd) stopped in most of the Stations between El Paso and San Antonio, which was a holdover from the Steamer days when Trains had to stop for Water often.

I always wondered as a kid why the Sunset stopped in both Marfa and Alpine, but evidently there was enough business @ one time for this to be possible.

Surprisingly the Amtrak Stop in Sanderson ( a once Vital Railroad Town on the Sunset Route) has gone from a Flag Stop to a Scheduled Stop in the past few years as Sanderson turned into mostly a Ghost Town???

My wife and I are planning to vacation on Amtrak this winter to a destination we do not yet know -- but I'm open to suggestions! We're not skiers, so that's not a concern. We're looking for a historic hotel of some type in the west or mid-west that would be a great winter destination, such as in a wooded area, in a downtown area, and with a fireplace in the lobby or even in the room. In previous years we visited the Timberline Lodge outside Portland, the Castaneda in Las Vegas, New Mexico, the La Posada in Winslow, Arizona, the Crawford Hotel in Denver, the Izaak Walton Inn, Montana, the Olympic Club in Centralia, Wash., and the Denver Hotel in Glenwood Springs, Colo.

I understand the Glacier Park Lodge is closed during the winter, so that's out. I thought about Leavenworth, Wash., but am afraid it will be too touristy. Anyone been there?

Had been to Leavenworth before Amtrak stopped there. Yes tourists but perhaps visit in a weekday Morning, to begin.

I have a question: Taking Amtrak WV to Seattle midwinter, would there be possible safety concerns from winter weather?

I have a question: Taking Amtrak WV to Seattle midwinter, would there be possible safety concerns from winter weather?
I take the EB nearly every other winter, and have never had a safety concern. The worst I heard about was the train that had to back down to Wenatchee from Stevens Pass last winter, and then never made it through because all the passes were closed at once. There are threads about this., it was in early January. I believe all the passengers ended up getting bused or flown from Spokane to their destinations. Some were stuck on trains for a long time but there were no injuries.

That said, I would not do the EB in winter if you have health concerns where you could need rapid access to medical care, or if you aren't able to adjust your plans for weather delays. I believe the CZ is much more reliable in winter. And I just love Bob Dylan's suggestions for West Texas! There's also the Hotel Congress in Tucson. Hubby and I stayed there once, and loved the atmosphere. and the local food scene! Drawbacks were: the noise from the music downstairs and the street (somewhat - the noise died down completely from midnight to 6am), and the double bed (it was comfy, but we need a queen).

There's also the Hotel Congress in Tucson. Hubby and I stayed there once, and loved the atmosphere. and the local food scene! Drawbacks were: the noise from the music downstairs and the street (somewhat - the noise died down completely from midnight to 6am), and the double bed (it was comfy, but we need a queen).
I noticed recently on their website that the Hotel Congress in Tucson says that they do not give refunds due to the noise there but they offer earplugs. Based on my visit there I doubt that the earplugs would do much good so you may as well stay up and join the party and then goes to bed when the party ends.

There is the Salish Lodge east of Seattle (of Twin Peaks fame as the Great Northern Hotel.) The NW Railway Museum is just up the road in North Bend.

Then again, if you are a Stephen King fan (or not) there is the Stanley Hotel northwest of Denver that was the basis of the Overlook Hotel in his book "The Shining."

Last edited:
I take the EB nearly every other winter, and have never had a safety concern. The worst I heard about was the train that had to back down to Wenatchee from Stevens Pass last winter, and then never made it through because all the passes were closed at once. There are threads about this., it was in early January. I believe all the passengers ended up getting bused or flown from Spokane to their destinations. Some were stuck on trains for a long time but there were no injuries.

That said, I would not do the EB in winter if you have health concerns where you could need rapid access to medical care, or if you aren't able to adjust your plans for weather delays. I believe the CZ is much more reliable in winter. And I just love Bob Dylan's suggestions for West Texas! There's also the Hotel Congress in Tucson. Hubby and I stayed there once, and loved the atmosphere. and the local food scene! Drawbacks were: the noise from the music downstairs and the street (somewhat - the noise died down completely from midnight to 6am), and the double bed (it was comfy, but we need a queen).
Thank you. Probably I would be doing WB. In any case this is helpful.

There is the Salish Lodge east of Seattle (of Twin Peaks fame as the Great Northern Hotel.) The NW Railway Museum is just up the road in North Bend.

Then again, if you are a Stephen King fan (or not) there is the Stanley Hotel northwest of Denver that was the basis of the Overlook Hotel in his book "The Shining."
North Bend area is beautiful.

Might Consider taking the CZ to Glenwood Springs, CO...I stayed there last January. Sweet town. the historic Hotel Colorado is terrific. Hot Springs right there. Lots of good restaurants and shops. All walking distance from the Amtrak Station.

Might Consider taking the CZ to Glenwood Springs, CO...I stayed there last January. Sweet town. the historic Hotel Colorado is terrific. Hot Springs right there. Lots of good restaurants and shops. All walking distance from the Amtrak Station.
I've stayed at the Izaak Walton at Essex MT (take the EB) in winter a few times. It's sweet, but not much to do unless you're into cross country skiing. They are not currently supplying rental cars, so you can't venture out from the Inn. By the way, I LOVE the Izaak!!!

Back