Coast Daylight would be HUGE, particularly between LA-SF. More than likely it'll terminate in Oakland, not SF proper, but it would be nice for Amtrak to be able to send their trains to CalTran Station instead of Oakland....
The introduction of seven Siemens single level trainsets for San Joaquin service enables the re-deployment of some single level and bi-level equipment currently used on the route. Additional single-level corridor coaches will also likely remain available for re-deployment even after equipping the nationwide service expansions outlined above. We anticipate collaboration with our state partners in California over the next year to determine how available equipment can best be re-deployed to accommodate planned growth over the next decade, including the following proposed initiatives from the state’s 2018 Rail Plan:
- Proposed Coast Daylight service (San Francisco–Los Angeles–San Diego)
- Proposed Los Angeles–Coachella Valley service
- Capitol Corridor service improvements (Roseville, Salinas, and core frequency increases)
- San Joaquins improvements (Natomas, added frequencies, integration with HighSpeed project)
- Pacific Surfliner service improvements (more frequent service corridor-wide)