Sumitomo/Siemens Contract for 137 Cars (former bi-levels)

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

rickycourtney

Conductor
These same folks did a bunch of research and came up with a Sacramento focused service plan, including cutting one train from Bakersfield. It was an enormous failure.

Pure coincidence, Im sure, but all of them are based in the north valley and probably have never been to Bakersfield.

The busiest traffic driver to the San Joaquin is actually LA. All the data told them this, but they ignored it.
The huge elephant in the room is CAHSR -- the state seems unwilling at the moment to invest in major improvements to traditional rail service between SoCal, Central CA, and the Bay Area.

SJJPA was looking for something that they could do that would complement the future HSR business plan.

Personally, I think it's a bad idea to focus on the "Merced and north" market until HSR is closer to completion -- but that's where the political winds are blowing.

jamess

Train Attendant
The huge elephant in the room is CAHSR -- the state seems unwilling at the moment to invest in major improvements to traditional rail service between SoCal, Central CA, and the Bay Area.

SJJPA was looking for something that they could do that would complement the future HSR business plan.

Personally, I think it's a bad idea to focus on the "Merced and north" market until HSR is closer to completion -- but that's where the political winds are blowing.
I get what theyre doing, but it doesnt even make sense post HSR.

My memory is that the biggest station pair on the San Joaquin is Hanford-Fresno. Thats a market that wont get served by HSR! Maintaining the existing SJ service for stations like Hanford, Madera, Wasco etc is a perfectly good way to complement HSR.

When they build CA-99, they didnt close Golden State. They left it there to continue to serve local trips. Rail should be no different.

rickycourtney

Conductor
I get what theyre doing, but it doesnt even make sense post HSR.

My memory is that the biggest station pair on the San Joaquin is Hanford-Fresno. Thats a market that wont get served by HSR! Maintaining the existing SJ service for stations like Hanford, Madera, Wasco etc is a perfectly good way to complement HSR.

When they build CA-99, they didnt close Golden State. They left it there to continue to serve local trips. Rail should be no different.
Actually, the first segment of HSR is going to include Fresno-Hanford (although not downtown Hanford). Your point is taken, but that’s not the business plan. The current plan is to abandon the alignment south of Madera once HSR opens.

jamess

Train Attendant
Actually, the first segment of HSR is going to include Fresno-Hanford (although not downtown Hanford). Your point is taken, but that’s not the business plan. The current plan is to abandon the alignment south of Madera once HSR opens.
My understanding was that the Visalia/Hanford station is still a maybe

PVD

Conductor
AU Supporter
When did Hanford get something called a downtown? It didn't look like much when my sister taught there.

PVD

Conductor
AU Supporter
Actually she graduated Fresno State, lived there for some time, all I remember about Fresno was Blackstone and Peach, and she had a little condo near rail tracks and a place they loaded vegetables on trains. When she taught in Hanford, she lived on Neville, but I never stayed there on a visit.