Sumitomo/Siemens Contract for 137 Cars (former bi-levels)

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

jis

Engineer
AU Lifetime Supporter
Gathering Team Member
Does anyone out west know if there are still cars being shipped from Sacramento to Chicago?
The only shipments out of Sacramento that we have heard about recently are those to VIA and the ones going to Brightline soon, as soon as they have tracks ready to move them to the brand spanking new maintenance center at Orlando International Airport.

In my experience at least, I never managed to get any heads up about any deliveries to California or Illinois until the cars were actually moving and someone caught them on camera en route. It is very hush hush thing somehow. For VIA and Brightline I usually hear when they are leaving Sacramento, the rough routing and which railroad is handling them.

NSC1109

Lead Service Attendant
The only shipments out of Sacramento that we have heard about recently are those to VIA and the ones going to Brightline soon, as soon as they have tracks ready to move them to the brand spanking new maintenance center at Orlando International Airport.

In my experience at least, I never managed to get any heads up about any deliveries to California or Illinois until the cars were actually moving and someone caught them on camera en route. It is very hush hush thing somehow. For VIA and Brightline I usually hear when they are leaving Sacramento, the rough routing and which railroad is handling them.
Didn't even realize that VIA was already receiving cars, impressive.

Thanks for the info

IndyLions

OBS Chief
Every single seat on my Wolverine train to CHI was full today. They really need more capacity big time on this line. And I know the lounge cars won’t be ready when they finally deploy the new Siemens cars, but I will say the Amfleet BC/lounge I rode today was pretty decently refreshed.

Eric S

Engineer
Every single seat on my Wolverine train to CHI was full today. They really need more capacity big time on this line. And I know the lounge cars won’t be ready when they finally deploy the new Siemens cars, but I will say the Amfleet BC/lounge I rode today was pretty decently refreshed.
Out of curiosity, do you know how many cars your train had? Wondering how the consist compares to pre-pandemic norms.