Siemens Caltrans/IDOT Venture design, engineering, testing and delivery (2012-2024)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,
Follow this link to the AASHTO website which now has the January and February 2020 monthly meeting minutes AND the 2020 Annual Meeting materials and PowerPoint presentations uploaded for public viewing. It is interesting reading materials. Items have been uploaded over thevpast two days. More information may be uploaded tomorrow, since I see no presentation on the passenger cars yet.

http://www.highspeed-rail.org/pages/section305committee.aspx
Other than the VIA presentation (specifically mentioned in the minutes), the minutes may well cover all the information from the meeting. There may not be any need for a separate passenger car presentation. This differs from previous meetings, but could be the method for handling 2020 meeting.

It’s always been a bit unclear what was meant by “bolt on nose.”

On the Genesis locomotives it’s a “sacrificial” part designed to be easily replaced after a collision.

It’s also clear that it wouldn’t be the same as the nose used on Brightline (which is also an aesthetic piece) because Amtrak can’t have hidden couplers.

It seems that it would be a good bet that the Amtrak units will look similar to the VIA units. It’s got a bigger nose... but still has exposed couplers.

Other than the VIA presentation (specifically mentioned in the minutes), the minutes may well cover all the information from the meeting. There may not be any need for a separate passenger car presentation. This differs from previous meetings, but could be the method for handling 2020 meeting.
There was quite a bit of information packed into the minutes.

It’s always been a bit unclear what was meant by “bolt on nose.”

On the Genesis locomotives it’s a “sacrificial” part designed to be easily replaced after a collision.

It’s also clear that it wouldn’t be the same as the nose used on Brightline (which is also an aesthetic piece) because Amtrak can’t have hidden couplers.

unless it's the Acela

There was quite a bit of information packed into the minutes.
Some additional presentations, including one from VIA, are now at the site.

Someone pointed out to me that page three of the Amtrak procurement presentation includes a simple cutaway of the new nose. If you enlarge the graphic, you can see the general idea.

Last edited:
Some additional presentations, including one from VIA, are now at the site.

Someone pointed out to me that page three of the Amtrak procurement presentation includes a simple cutaway of the new nose. If you enlarge the graphic, you can see the general idea.

What page is it on?

The bilevels were to be the CALIDOT cars but Nippon Sharyo done goofed so we get the Viaggio cars from Siemens, and let's be honest we need a completely new bilevel car design
Forgive my ignorance, but what is wrong with the Viaggio cars (other than being the backup plan) and why do the original orders always seem to stall out and die off at some point? That's not a normal situation in other markets, right?

Forgive my ignorance, but what is wrong with the Viaggio cars (other than being the backup plan) and why do the original orders always seem to stall out and die off at some point? That's not a normal situation in other markets, right?

There's nothing wrong with them (other than seemingly lacking steps for low platforms, which is the standard outside of the NEC due to the freight railroads). What happened with Nippon Sharyo's order was that redesigning it would delay the project by at least two years and thus place the delivery beyond the expiration of the ARRA funds. So they went with a completely new design

Are you referring to the new Acela? I’m hearing the one at PHL will do a short test run tonight.

No. I was referring to the new Seimen's car that was supposed to arrive in PHL for testing on the NEC. It was supposed to start testing but they just pulled the plug on it until further notice. I think that was a wise move.

Back