Siemens Caltrans/IDOT Venture design, engineering, testing and delivery (2012-2024)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No. I was referring to the new Seimen's car that was supposed to arrive in PHL for testing on the NEC. It was supposed to start testing but they just pulled the plug on it until further notice. I think that was a wise move.
Seems my info about the Acela2 was a April’s Fool prank by one of the engineers. All in fun.

Unless there is a last-minute reprieve, it'll be testing the NEC until Mid-May. If you're a night owl and dry conditions permit, it commences in NJ this week.

9024(CA Siemens coach) has been out testing. Video of it passing through NJ is out there. Consist was 642, three Amfleets, 9024, 626

Last edited:
Coupled up to an Amfleet this new Siemens car really helps show how much interior space was wasted and sacrificed to make the rounded airplane style body of an Amfleet. Two cars that are operating in the same clearances and the size difference is impressive. We‘ll take about 500 of these new cars, thanks.

Coupled up to an Amfleet this new Siemens car really helps show how much interior space was wasted and sacrificed to make the rounded airplane style body of an Amfleet..

I'm not sure wasted is the right word. After all, the look was brought in to help them compete with the airlines....which they did. A clunky looking car might not have brought in the ridership like the sleek, tubular design.

Additionally, they were built when people didn't carry everything including the kitchen sink when they traveled on quick trips.

It's not like people could sit up there.

We‘ll take about 500 of these new cars, thanks.

I definitely prefer coaches over semi-permanently attached trains so, yes...at least 500 if they turn out ok.

I happen to like the Amfleet (and the predecessor Metroliner's) design. Even though the roof curves in, I think the overhead racks are very roomy...even roomier than the straight-sided lightweight streamliner's they replaced. About the only thing bad about that curvature, is they are not good for having a sleeping car module, with an upper bunk...although they did in fact try that (recall the Shenandoah with the prototype "Economy Bedrooms"...

The main issue gave with Amfleet 1 cars are the smaller windows. This was corrected with the Amfleet 2 cars.

It will be interesting to see how well these new cars last without being properly maintained, cleaned, etc.

I'm not sure wasted is the right word. After all, the look was brought in to help them compete with the airlines....which they did. A clunky looking car might not have brought in the ridership like the sleek, tubular design.

Oh yeah. I still remember the first time I saw a Metroliner in the bowels of Penn Station and it looked like the sleekest fastest train that I had ever seen. It was very futuristic for that time.

However, I really did like the Turbo Train even more. Super futuristic, unique design and domes on the NEC where you can actually sit behind the engineer and look out the front window!

Last edited:
The Keystones were an interesting design, that gets lost in comparison to others of the era. Handicapped seating would have been limited to door-adjacent, so they wouldn't have much value today. Are any of these preserved at a museum?

I remember a few years ago a set of them came available on Ozark Mountain Railcar. They we're converted into table cars and used on a dinner train somewhere in Michigan I believe. No clue where they went since

The Keystones were an interesting design, that gets lost in comparison to others of the era. Handicapped seating would have been limited to door-adjacent, so they wouldn't have much value today.
Isn't that true about almost every railcar out there? Except for Brightline, there is no ADA access THROUGH any coaches, sleepers or diners, right? I think they basically all have ADA at the car ends for easy restroom and door access.

Don't all of the multi-level coaches have an ADA area on the mezzanine level? It would be pretty similar to that.

Video by South Coast Rail Videos of the test train with Siemens coach running by Attleboro, Massachusetts yesterday with AMTK 642 leading.

Back