Siemens Caltrans/IDOT Venture design, engineering, testing and delivery (2012-2024)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It may well be a test train as the test train may start out slow then each additional test train make incremental speed increases much like the Acela-2s. If you were on a regular trip this next few days you might run around the test train.

If Amtrak is serious about new Corridor services, they need to figure out how to very quickly promote these new train sets.

For the US at least, CHI-DET & CHI-STL are the two best corridors from which to promote shiny new, and practical corridor service. It’s not true HSR, but these corridors will offer increasing sections of 115mph running and sharp new train sets. And while expensive, they don’t carry with them the seemingly impossible leap of funding of true HSR.

Can Amtrak gets these train sets fully deployed and these corridor running speeds optimized in time? Biden and Mayor Pete will only be around for so long. Will Amtrak take advantage? That’s what I want to know.

If Amtrak is serious about new Corridor services, they need to figure out how to very quickly promote these new train sets.

For the US at least, CHI-DET & CHI-STL are the two best corridors from which to promote shiny new, and practical corridor service. It’s not true HSR, but these corridors will offer increasing sections of 115mph running and sharp new train sets. And while expensive, they don’t carry with them the seemingly impossible leap of funding of true HSR.

Can Amtrak gets these train sets fully deployed and these corridor running speeds optimized in time? Biden and Mayor Pete will only be around for so long. Will Amtrak take advantage? That’s what I want to know.

The western half of the AML is already 110mph barring slow orders due to maintenance or ITCS failure. The real trick has been getting everything east of Kalamazoo up to par. NS left it in pretty bad shape when MDOT bought up the line. Work has been proceeding slowly over the last few years and they’re pretty much done, but the tight curves on the eastern half limit how fast the services can get. I think they cap out at 70 in some areas.

IDOT has informed me that the test train left Chicago at 7:20 Central this morning. Should be on the AML now barring any delays.

That is an old sleeping car. It is a place for Amtrak officials to work. It is strange that it is in the middle. Maybe they are checking how the Siemens cars connect to non-Siemens cars. Should be interesting process in the snow. The plan in the future is to run Siemens cars with horizon and amfleet snack cars until the snack cars from Siemens arrive.

They look like access panels in the ceiling that open for maintenance access, and they are in the open position
On a longer look, I believe you are correct...at first glance I thought they might be for holding emergency equipment, but now see what you mean...thanks...:)

Back