Siemens Caltrans/IDOT Venture design, engineering, testing and delivery (2012-2024)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone seen any interior photos of Business Class? Are there bike racks anywhere in the train?

I believe the metal apparatus on the left in this picture (from above) might be a bike rack. It's got some odd bits (the U-shaped piece and the pipe with a ball on it) that don't make sense for a baggage rack, but I could see using on a bike rack.
2e21d856-e355-429f-a6a6-030d6731684a-jpeg.20444

Edit: Looking at it more, it's clear that there is a baggage rack that swings down in. It may be one of those, bike rack when up, baggage rack when down systems.

I believe the metal apparatus on the left in this picture (from above) might be a bike rack. It's got some odd bits (the U-shaped piece and the pipe with a ball on it) that don't make sense for a baggage rack, but I could see using on a bike rack.

Edit: Looking at it more, it's clear that there is a baggage rack that swings down in. It may be one of those, bike rack when up, baggage rack when down systems.

The bit that the trash bag is hanging from? The end seems too bulbous to fit between the spokes of a bike wheel, which is how I've seen hanging racks usually work. It might just be the perspective of this photo though.

The bit that the trash bag is hanging from? The end seems too bulbous to fit between the spokes of a bike wheel, which is how I've seen hanging racks usually work. It might just be the perspective of this photo though.

My primary thought for bike rack was the round "U-shaped" looking bit near the mouth of the trash bag. I could easily be open on one end and clamp down on the tire... but in reality I don't know, just taking a guess.

peter

The bike thing only works if people can carry their own bikes on and off the train and then secure them in the bike rack. An individual unable to do this is going to interfere with other passengers boarding the train and subsequently cause delays.

Bikes not in the bike rack are not an acceptable alternative. These would block areas used by employees or passengers.

The bike thing only works if people can carry their own bikes on and off the train and then secure them in the bike rack. An individual unable to do this is going to interfere with other passengers boarding the train and subsequently cause delays.
I imagine most railways that allow bicycles require passengers with bikes to carry and secure their bikes themselves. Metra, with three (within the train, four practically) steps up to board all non-electric trains, is very clear that the crew will not deploy the lift for bicycles. But most bicyclists end up having to lift their bike at some point in regular usage anyhow.

Bikes not in the bike rack are not an acceptable alternative. These would block areas used by employees or passengers.
A fare-paying bicyclist is also a passenger. :rolleyes: When I see piles of luggage in the open wheelchair area on some Amtrak trains, I don't see a bicycle in the same space as unacceptable.

Of course, every railway is free to require its passengers use a bike rack. But some don't. Metra has no bike racks on its present equipment (it's buying cars with racks) and expects cyclists to bungee their bikes in the area of perpendicular folding seats between the vestibule and the regular seats. Cyclists must defer to disabled (the folding-seat area is also the wheelchair area) and senior passengers in that area but have priority over other passengers to secure their bike in that designated area.

I imagine most railways that allow bicycles require passengers with bikes to carry and secure their bikes themselves. Metra, with three (within the train, four practically) steps up to board all non-electric trains, is very clear that the crew will not deploy the lift for bicycles. But most bicyclists end up having to lift their bike at some point in regular usage anyhow.

A fare-paying bicyclist is also a passenger. :rolleyes: When I see piles of luggage in the open wheelchair area on some Amtrak trains, I don't see a bicycle in the same space as unacceptable.

Of course, every railway is free to require its passengers use a bike rack. But some don't. Metra has no bike racks on its present equipment (it's buying cars with racks) and expects cyclists to bungee their bikes in the area of perpendicular folding seats between the vestibule and the regular seats. Cyclists must defer to disabled (the folding-seat area is also the wheelchair area) and senior passengers in that area but have priority over other passengers to secure their bike in that designated area.
SEPTA also allows bikes despite not having racks. On a Silverliner 4 the bicycle storage area is right behind the "cab", so bicyclists have to wheel their bikes the entire length of the car to the storage area.

For the US at least, CHI-DET & CHI-STL are the two best corridors from which to promote shiny new, and practical corridor service. It’s not true HSR, but these corridors will offer increasing sections of 115mph running and sharp new train sets. And while expensive, they don’t carry with them the seemingly impossible leap of funding of true HSR.

There are currently no plans to run trains over 90 mph on the CHI-STL section. But agree that it would be good for Amtrak to promote the new cars.

There are currently no plans to run trains over 90 mph on the CHI-STL section. But agree that it would be good for Amtrak to promote the new cars.

They had 110 on a brief stretch for a short time circa 2012, but it got downgraded back to 79 in the intervening years. I hadn't heard that the project has been abandoned, and/or they've lowered their goals to 90. Is this documented somewhere?

Actually, the luggage piled up in the wheelchair area and a bicycle in that space are both unacceptable. The fact that crews don't enforce the rules about luggage doesn't make it right for someone else to violate them with a bicycle. I always enjoy watching the crew forced to make the dreaded "get your crap out of the wheelchair space" announcement when the space is needed for its intended (and lawful) purpose.

The LIRR's bicycle policy is here...
https://new.mta.info/guides/bikes/bike-permit-regulations-lirr
Added Metro North's...
https://new.mta.info/guides/bikes/bike-permit-regulations-mnr

Actually, the luggage piled up in the wheelchair area and a bicycle in that space are both unacceptable. The fact that crews don't enforce the rules about luggage doesn't make it right for someone else to violate them with a bicycle. I always enjoy watching the crew forced to make the dreaded "get your crap out of the wheelchair space" announcement when the space is needed for its intended (and lawful) purpose.
You're right, I meant that a bike isn't more unacceptable than luggage in that area. Some people overlook or tolerate luggage-piling because luggage is common but look at bikes as interlopers.

Accommodating bicyclists in a reasonable, safe way is good business for Amtrak. Bicyclists and train travelers are two demographics that overlap fairly significantly.

I know I have spent several thousand dollars on train travel for trips where a primary purpose was to explore a new city by bike.

Generally, Amtrak has done a pretty good job with bicycles despite the challenges that they have to effectively retrofit bicycle support on all of their existing equipment - because it is so old. Frankly, where they have struggled supporting bicycles is in crew/employee education. No surprise there - that seems to be a weakness at Amtrak regardless of the topic.

With this new equipment, they had the opportunity to plan ahead with a more elegant solution that’s better for all passengers. After looking at that interior photo again more closely, I feel reasonably confident that there is a bike apparatus there.

I agree that luggage is problematic when someone brings more than their allocation. Putting the luggage in the handicap area is not appropriate. This would also cause a delay to the train as people are forced to move luggage at the last minute to accommodate a wheel chair. The other annoying practice is placing extra luggage in the shower room.

I agree that luggage is problematic when someone brings more than their allocation. Putting the luggage in the handicap area is not appropriate. This would also cause a delay to the train as people are forced to move luggage at the last minute to accommodate a wheel chair. The other annoying practice is placing extra luggage in the shower room.

Since most of Amtrak's LD stations no longer offer checked baggage, the problem isn't so much passengers bringing "more than their allocation." It's that Amtrak is unwilling to employ its baggage cars to actually hold most baggage.

The problem is generally not a LD station not offering checked bags problem, it's trains that wouldn't have a baggage car any way. The shower situation is unique to the Viewliner sleeper, it doesn't have much luggage space in the rooms, nor a downstairs rack, and many stations don't have checked bags. Also, there are people who don't like to check bags, and SCA are pretty lenient on what gets dragged on. The Superliners have racks downstairs, it is an issue most likely to be seen on single level trains, the greatest majority are no baggage trains and have been for many years.

They are planning to put bike racks on the roof - like the cars that drive around with bikes sitting upright on top. They just haven't figured a few issues out like how to make passengers load/unload bikes, low tunnels, and other minor problems. :)

You're right, I meant that a bike isn't more unacceptable than luggage in that area. Some people overlook or tolerate luggage-piling because luggage is common but look at bikes as interlopers.
Hey! I object!
If they are going to make provision's to carry bicycles on Amtrak trains, then they should also make provisions on the same trains to carry auto's, like the Auto Train does....
Just kidding.😁

Look between the cars. It appears that there are even more connections between cars. I could believe that there would be one ore for a fiber cable connection but what are the other additional.? .Just for the test train ? Or maybe it is for a more robust control of the trailing loco. ?

It bugs me that the stripe on the locomotive and cars don’t match up lol
My guess is that Amtrak decided on a new overall look with the wide red stripe on the bottom, etc. It ended up on the Acela 21 and these Venture cars. And, the Midwest locomotives were before that decision. Does anyone know?

The mostly blue LD scheme on the Chargers is supposed to be replaced by a new scheme on later locomotives. Maybe those will have the same striping. Not that it helps the Midwest.

Back