Siemens Caltrans/IDOT Venture design, engineering, testing and delivery (2012-2024)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Carolinian does use Amtrak Regional equipment from the NEC pool.

But at least veryr ecently you used to get a few extras beyond the normal Amtrak fare - which is mostly nothing other than soft drink and coffee in BC. And there used to be a car attendant in the BC. I am sure at least for the duration of COVID that is all on hold.
Whoops, got mixed up with the Piedmont

Amtrak operates MARC (Penn Line only), Metrolink, and Shore Line East, right? Any other commuter services (not Amtrak-branded/operated intercity services, like Downeaster, Piedmont, etc.)?

Amtrak operates MARC (Penn Line only), Metrolink, and Shore Line East, right? Any other commuter services (not Amtrak-branded/operated intercity services, like Downeaster, Piedmont, etc.)?

That looks to be it at this time. They used to operate a lot more, but it would seem the Herzog has taken over as the primary operator in the US (followed by Bombardier, then BNSF & Amtrak being close to tied [didn't count the number BNSF had]).

peter

SunRail has Amtrak Sanford do heavy maintenance and FRA mandated checks on their equipment. The trains are actually dispatched and operated by Bombardier. Three Amtrak trains are also dispatched over the CFRC territory (Deland - Poinciana) by Bombardier.

I don't know exactly when amtraks service line plan was published (Its old enough not to include metrolink that was awarded in December?)

Amtrak has operated Metrolink since 2009 (and before that, until 2005), when Connex was dumped following the Chatsworth collision.

Amtrak has operated Metrolink since 2009 (and before that, until 2005), when Connex was dumped following the Chatsworth collision.

Ah yep, I missed the fine print a few pages before, they didn't include it because it was still up for renewal and not guaranteed at the time of the service plan

Plan do not assume bidding on or winning any new opportunities, and assume Amtrak does not continue the Metrolink Train & Engine crew contract after its expiration on December 31, 2020.

Have they gotten any cafe cars yet? All the delivery train videos & the test run I witnessed were lacking a cafe.
As I recall, the plan is to deliver the new train cars without cafes, which will be forthcoming in 2022. The plan was (again, as I recall) silent on what would be done for cafe service in the meantime as some trainsets are to enter service in 2021, but as the Midwest trains except the Hiawatha have cafes I presume they'd run an Amfleet or Horizon Cafe in the trainsets in the interim.

Saw that. Any idea which one? As a frequent viewer I can say it's not one of the "regulars" that show up every few weeks.
High likelihood that it was Babbling Brook, but it could also be the other NYC obs lounge that makes the rounds, the name of which I forget.

As I recall, the plan is to deliver the new train cars without cafes, which will be forthcoming in 2022. The plan was (again, as I recall) silent on what would be done for cafe service in the meantime as some trainsets are to enter service in 2021, but as the Midwest trains except the Hiawatha have cafes I presume they'd run an Amfleet or Horizon Cafe in the trainsets in the interim.
You are correct. The midwestern states will use the new Siemens coaches paired with Horizon/Amfleet cafe cars in the interim. They may also need to use Horizon/Amfleet business class or cafe/business class cars depending on the delivery schedules.

It appears Siemens is pumping out the coach cars as fast as possible right now (presumably they are easiest to produce).

That means that the San Joaquins won't be getting cab cars anytime soon either -- so expect to see new Venture cars paired with NPCUs ("cabbages") in the interim.

According to the NGEC meeting minutes -- behind the scenes -- work is underway to get final signoffs on the cafe car and cab car prototypes. Once that happens, production can begin.

Last edited:
One item that I found interesting in the NGEC annual meeting minutes from February is that the VIA test trains being constructed include cab cars.
I'm not sure that's still the plan until they get their own (proposed) ROW. There had been concerns about cab cars on a route with so many level crossings traversed at high speed. My guess would be a locomotive on either end - at least initially. Ontario's GO Transit has gone to considerable expense to migrate to second-floor cabs over track-level ones and they share a lot of the same tracks (and crossing concerns). VIA doesn't have that option with a single-level fleet.

I'm not sure that's still the plan until they get their own (proposed) ROW. There had been concerns about cab cars on a route with so many level crossings traversed at high speed. My guess would be a locomotive on either end - at least initially. Ontario's GO Transit has gone to considerable expense to migrate to second-floor cabs over track-level ones and they share a lot of the same tracks (and crossing concerns). VIA doesn't have that option with a single-level fleet.
It’s been a while since I read this information, but I thought the Siemens Venture cab cars were supposed to be strengthened specifically to address this general concern.

Back