Sunday(14)/Monday(15) Texas Eagles Cancelled

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Dylan

50+ Year Amtrak Rider
AU Supporting Member
Due to the Extremly Cold Weather covering Most of the Central Part of the US, Amtrak is Cancelling the Texas Eagles between San Antonio and St Louis. #22 for Sunday(14) and #21 for Monday (15).

Also the Heartland Flyers #821/#822 are Cancelled between Ft Worth and Oklahoma City.

Texas is expected to have its Coldest Temperatures EVER by Monday, with Record Snowfall and a Major Ice Storm from Sunday to the Middle of next week!😣

We are not expected to get above Freezing here for the next 6 days, another Record!!

Last edited:
Due to the Extremly Cold Weather covering Most of the Central Part of the US, Amtrak is Cancelling the Texas Eagles between San Antonio and St Louis. #22 for Sunday(14) and #21 for Monday (15).

Texas is expected to have its Coldest Temperatures EVER by Monday, with Record Snowfall and a Major Ice Storm from Sunday to the Middle of next week!😣

We are not expected to get above Freezing here for the next 6 days, another Record!!
Rookies! 🤣

So much for the "all-weather" mode of transportation....:rolleyes:

I think it's mostly due to the Ice and the remoteness of the Route between St Louis and Litttle Rock.

Of course, down here in Texas people freak out when a Cloud covers the Sun, let alone some Snow and Ice on the Roads. ( we do have LOTS of Flyovers and Elevated Roads)

But it doesn't seem to slow up the Freights, UP or BNSF.

In all fairness, as Americans who live further north can attest, the southern US has no idea how to handle unexpected snow. We once spent 4 (yes 4) days trapped in Alabama after a foot of snow closed I-65. While the hotel tried to clear the parking lot with rakes and garden hoses, the only 3 shovels in the complex were in the trunks of two vehicles from Ontario and one from Michigan, who anticipated potential problems.

In all fairness, as Americans who live further north can attest, the southern US has no idea how to handle unexpected snow. We once spent 4 (yes 4) days trapped in Alabama after a foot of snow closed I-65. While the hotel tried to clear the parking lot with rakes and garden hoses, the only 3 shovels in the complex were in the trunks of two vehicles from Ontario and one from Michigan, who anticipated potential problems.
The Great White North Knows Snow! 🤣

Gotta give 'em points for creativity. :)

When I was a kid, my mom took us to Washington DC during February vacation from school. It snowed and almost brought the city to a standstill. I remember the sidewalks were cleared faster than the roads. I remember hearing my mother complain that they didn't have enough plows and had to ask for help from neighboring states. This was years ago, and I have been there in the winter since then, and they do a much better job.

On this subject, but also factoring into the thread about whether Chargers had problems with cold weather, here's an enjoyable diversion:

That's awesome. P42s look and sound nicer when doing it though..

On this subject, but also factoring into the thread about whether Chargers had problems with cold weather, here's an enjoyable diversion:

When I lived and worked in the DC Area we would get " Snow Days" off from Work since there were no Snow Plows as was said.( this was rare, DC doesnt get lots of snow)

Also the Bridges would freeze up so people were allowed to leave work early so as to get home safely.( this was more common)

Note: this was mostly Pre- Metro, once the Trains started running this practice stopped.

Parking was scarce and Expensive, and even then the traffic was bad during "rush hours."

Last edited:
When I was a kid, my mom took us to Washington DC during February vacation from school. It snowed and almost brought the city to a standstill. I remember the sidewalks were cleared faster than the roads. I remember hearing my mother complain that they didn't have enough plows and had to ask for help from neighboring states. This was years ago, and I have been there in the winter since then, and they do a much better job.
To be fair to Texas, Washington DC (and Baltimore, too) does get snow with some regularity. Thus, there's less of an excuse for the roads not being cleared up our way than there is for the poor folks down south. Today, we in Baltimore got a nice glazing of ice, which I regard are something far worse than snow. Didn't go outside at all today, except to sprinkle a little salt on out sidewalk.

To be fair to Texas, Washington DC (and Baltimore, too) does get snow with some regularity. Thus, there's less of an excuse for the roads not being cleared up our way than there is for the poor folks down south. Today, we in Baltimore got a nice glazing of ice, which I regard are something far worse than snow. Didn't go outside at all today, except to sprinkle a little salt on out sidewalk.
Were fixing to get both down here Joe!
Freezing Rain leaving an inch of Ice on everything and then 3-6 inches of Wet Snow with Temps from 20 to 0 over the next 3 days!

Were all hoping the Power will stay on, right now theres rolling outages as 25,000 People are without Power, some for 2 days!😣

Were fixing to get both down here Joe!
Freezing Rain leaving an inch of Ice on everything and then 3-6 inches of Wet Snow with Temps from 20 to 0 over the next 3 days!

Were all hoping the Power will stay on, right now theres rolling outages as 25,000 People are without Power, some for 2 days!😣
Hang in there. Be safe.

Hope you can stay indoors and the power stays on. Having spent some time in the Dallas area in the mid 1990s, I remember how a freak ice storm could bring everything to a standstill. That isn't supposed to be part of Texas winter!

I understand one of the reasons for rail cancellations is power failure. You can maintain the tracks perfectly, but if you don't have power to operate signals and switches and grade crossing, trains are probably not going to move very fast.

Also getting crews to replace dead crew on delayed train can be quite a challenge using roads covered with 1" ice.

The so called "all weather transport" thing about railroads has been a myth somehow etched in the heads of railfans since the first one came into existence as far as I can tell.

Last edited:
I drove to and from STL this weekend. Nothing was moving on the UP. Apparently there was a freight derailment early Saturday morning in normal. The crossings were blocked and. Had to take a longer route t croissant tracks.
As we drove south Saturday saw two or three freights stopped south of normal. Comeback today saw nothing but stopped freights.

400,000 People without Power in Austin,! Texas having Rolling Power Blsckouts due to Wind Generators Freezing up, Shortage of Natural Gas!😣Millions without Power!! 😥

Sun came out today, melted some of the 6-8 inches of Snow that was on top of Ice, most Roads impassable. High today was 21 with Strong North Winds, Now clouding up, going down to Single Digets tonite with Minus Windchill!!!😣

I'm staying with a Friend that has Power and Gas heat,but my Phone ( Sprint)and Internet was out for about 12 Hours and the Cable TV Systems are all down!

Were supposed to get another Winter Storm Tuesday Night with 3-5 more inches of Snow but Temps will "Warm Up" into the 20s and 30s for Thursday.:cool:

Worst Cold Spell I've ever seen in Texas in my 76 years of Life!! 😱 😷

The so called "all weather transport" thing about railroads has been a myth somehow etched in the heads of railfans since the first one came into existence as far as I can tell.
I borrowed that quotation, from its repeated used by prolific rail history author and advocate, Patrick C. Dorin, in many of his books...:)

400,000 People without Power in Austin,! Texas having Rolling Power Blsckouts due to Wind Generators Freezing up, Shortage of Natural Gas!😣Millions without Power!! 😥

Sun came out today, melted some of the 6-8 inches of Snow that was on top of Ice, most Roads impassable. High today was 21 with Strong North Winds, Now clouding up, going down to Single Digets tonite with Minus Windchill!!!😣

I'm staying with a Friend that has Power and Gas heat,but my Phone ( Sprint)and Internet was out for about 12 Hours and the Cable TV Systems are all down!

Were supposed to get another Winter Storm Tuesday Night with 3-5 more inches of Snow but Temps will "Warm Up" into the 20s and 30s for Thursday.:cool:

Worst Cold Spell I've ever seen in Texas in my 76 years of Life!! 😱 😷
Just checked on my niece near you. Since she has electric heat, she has no heat, and gathered wood since her apt has a fireplace (never before used) flue and damper work, so she has some heat. Can't cook, has limited food that can be eaten (pretty funny since she is the manager of a supermarket) In may apt I have a manual can opener a couple of cans of sterno I grabbed at a Christmas party, and a bunch of small back up battery packs, each one is good for a day of cell phone. Those used to be pricey, now they are commonly given away as promo items with a logo embossed on them...Last big blackout by me was in 2003, but I missed it since I was in Lake Placid running a coaching education event for USA Hockey. My neighbors made sure my mother was ok and the phone worked so it wasn't too scary. No cooking, we are electric. We have all underground utilities by me so a power loss is pretty rare in this neighborhood.

Back