Sunset discount

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

had8ley

Engineer
Sunset tix are being discounted 25% for travel between Houston and New Orleans~ they give a short buy period but travel is good through mid-November. I don't understand this as one of the two coaches is usually a coach bag and the train is rather full into and out of NOL.Glad I'm not a bean counter...

Interesting as I have been wanting to do the Friday roundtrip Houston to Lafayette and back. Does it apply to sleepers too? That would get me meals as well.

Interesting as I have been wanting to do the Friday roundtrip Houston to Lafayette and back.
Interesting that you'd want to take the train to Lafayette. I could meet you at the station (I live 6 miles from there). Let me know when you'd be arriving. I can transport you to wherever. You do know you'd have to spend two nights in Lafayette. Train doesn't run on Saturdays, and the next train to Houston would be on Monday.

Sunset tix are being discounted 25% for travel between Houston and New Orleans~ they give a short buy period but travel is good through mid-November. I don't understand this as one of the two coaches is usually a coach bag and the train is rather full into and out of NOL.Glad I'm not a bean counter...
What's the issue with Bean Counters???

What's the issue with Bean Counters???
The issue is...on Monday of Thanksgiving week, when they could have easily used an extra coach or two, they ran # 1 with a coach and a coach bag...unfortunately, they sold the coach bag seats to mostly elderly and handicapped pax in the baggage section (no seats). There were kids sleeping in the luggage racks above the seats and assorted other disasters when 24 seats are sold and there's no where to put the pax~ especially those that can't climb stairs....thus my reference to the bean counters... :cool:

I took Bean Counters to be Accountants. From your description, it appears that the schedulers/dispatchers were

asleep when the train was setup. I don't think I would enjoy ridint in a baggage car!!

Interesting as I have been wanting to do the Friday roundtrip Houston to Lafayette and back.
Interesting that you'd want to take the train to Lafayette. I could meet you at the station (I live 6 miles from there). Let me know when you'd be arriving. I can transport you to wherever. You do know you'd have to spend two nights in Lafayette.
Actually Pat, the train runs in both directions on Friday so you can make a round trip on the same day. It arrives in Lafayette from Houston at 10:15am and leaves going west at 3:19pm. So I have to find something to do for 5 hours. I could actually go as far as New Iberia or Shriever.........but what do you do in those towns? Shriever, the schedule might be just a little tight as it arrives at 12:03pm and leaves at 1:25pm. Another option is to ride it west to Alpine where on Saturday you have one minute to change trains. lol.

The train runs in both directions on Friday so you can make a round trip on the same day. It arrives in Lafayette from Houston at 10:15am and leaves going west at 3:19pm. So I have to find something to do for 5 hours. I could actually go as far as New Iberia or Shriever.........but what do you do in those towns? Shriever, the schedule might be just a little tight as it arrives at 12:03pm and leaves at 1:25pm. Another option is to ride it west to Alpine where on Saturday you have one minute to change trains. lol.
I never really thought much about doing a one day turn on the Eastbound SL. Might be interesting if I can find something to do during those layover hours. The Westbound SL turn at Alpine is probably doable on good days and you'd have a new story to tell either way. The key to the whole turn is that Alpine only has one track used for spotting so when the trains are on time the Eastbound SL will simply wait on the tracks a little West of the station while the Westbound train disembarks. Alpine is also a crew change so you'll have plenty of time to get your stuff, stand around for awhile, and then hop on the Eastbound train back home. The only problem of course is if your Westbound train is late and you miss the connection you'll be stuck in Alpine for multiple days waiting around for the next train. Best to have two return tickets purchased and a hotel reservation that allows for late cancellations.

Interesting that you'd want to take the train to Lafayette. I could meet you at the station (I live 6 miles from there). Let me know when you'd be arriving. I can transport you to wherever. You do know you'd have to spend two nights in Lafayette.
Actually Pat, the train runs in both directions on Friday so you can make a round trip on the same day. It arrives in Lafayette from Houston at 10:15am and leaves going west at 3:19pm. So I have to find something to do for 5 hours. I could actually go as far as New Iberia or Shriever.........but what do you do in those towns? Shriever, the schedule might be just a little tight as it arrives at 12:03pm and leaves at 1:25pm. Another option is to ride it west to Alpine where on Saturday you have one minute to change trains. lol.
If you decide to go West on #1, as has been said the OTP for your connection to #2 is very iffy, you might have to bail @ the Beautiful Sanderson Station :eek: or even Del Rio IF the WB is Running Really Late! Between the two I'd say that Del Rio might be preferable to Sanderson even if you Can't Cross the Border to Mexico anymore due to the War going on between the Cartels!! :help: Go East Young Man, Go East! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
So I have to find something to do for 5 hours. I could actually go as far as New Iberia or Shriever.........but what do you do in those towns?
There are several eateries in downtown Lafayette, but depending on when you travel, it might be a bit uncomfortable on foot as it does get rather hot during the summer.

There is a cafe not far from the station (2 or 3 blocks) that a lot of the locals go to for lunch. That would be Dwyer's. However, if you have a chauffeur, you can take a ride out to the mall and go shopping!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back