Sunset Limited (#1) 12/9/13

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pat Harper

Lead Service Attendant
Train was on time coming into Lafayette, but before we could even get out of the city limits, some impaired person who was on foot decided he wanted to try to beat the train and cross the tracks. Needless to say, he didn't make it and the train knocked him backwards several feet. Ambulance was called, also police and fire truck. Pedestrian was taken to the hospital in critical condition and died that evening (we didn't know this until the next day when my daughter told me on the phone).

We were delayed 2 hours before given the all clear and quickly made up time before arriving in San Antonio. The Texas Eagle was also late, so we weren't able to leave S.A. until an hour after scheduled departure.

More time was made up enroute, and arrived in El Paso on time. No other incidents happened along the way, and we arrived at our stop (Maricopa) on schedule.

What else can I say about the trip? Our SCA was Linda, didn't get anyone else's name. There was a large group of kids that got on board in Del Rio on a school trip. We just were lucky to make it into breafast that morning before the entire group (who were traveling via coach) entered the dining car. They were really cute, all still dressed in their pajamas, but the dining car staff were really busy. Thank goodness we were already eating our meal when they came in or no telling when we would have been served!

Our return trip starts on the 30th. Hope it's not as exciting as the first one!

:( Never fun when things like this happen while aboard but UP seems to be doing a pretty good job of dispatching the Sunset Lately! Most Days it Arrives into Western Station Stops on Time or in the Case of LAX ,Too Early! :angry:

Glad ya'll had a Smooth Trip after the unfortunate incident! Happy Holidays and Happy Rails on your Return Trip! :hi:

:( Never fun when things like this happen while aboard but UP seems to be doing a pretty good job of dispatching the Sunset Lately! Most Days it Arrives into Western Station Stops on Time or in the Case of LAX ,Too Early! :angry:
Last August on #2 (422 sleeper in my case), we were 45 minutes early into Alpine (this is a crew change point, I believe). The extra time was nice to get out and walk around a bit until the scheduled arrival/departure time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back