Sunset Limited - New Orleans to El Paso 6/3-6/4

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recall taking the Southwest Limited in July 1978 from LA to Chicago when early into the trip the A/C in the lounge car failed. When we got to Flagstaff in the morning I think the temperature was in the 30s and there was a little ice on the platform. However, by the time we reach Albuquerque in the afternoon, the temperature there was 90-100. The lounge car attendant kept the upper half of the vestibule doors open to get some air but it didn't provide much. Still he stuck to his duty in the car although few wanted to hang around there in that heat. I think that it was at Kansas City that a mechanic came on board but efforts to get the A/C working failed. Fortunately the problem didn't affect the remainder of the train although the heat was certainly noticeable when passing through the lounge car on your way to the dining car.

They fixed it in San Antonio at around 0100. It was a hot room for probably 12 hours. Keeping the door open helped a bit. But I was in the lounge car a lot (nice and cool in there).

Wonder if you could complain to Amtrak about this once your trip is done to 800-USA-RAIL, and possibly get a future trip voucher out of having to deal with that inconvenience? That sucks to hear the A/C was out, for that long. Too bad they weren't able to fix the A/C problem at say like Beaumont or Houston, during one of those smoke stops.

The inside of the El Paso station house in pics I've seen online of it looks nice, and for sure would be something I'd like to get a quick look at if I ever do a Sunset Limited trip through there someday. Well, I hope your trip to El Paso goes well.

Wonder if you could complain to Amtrak about this once your trip is done to 800-USA-RAIL, and possibly get a future trip voucher out of having to deal with that inconvenience? That sucks to hear the A/C was out, for that long. Too bad they weren't able to fix the A/C problem at say like Beaumont or Houston, during one of those smoke stops.

The inside of the El Paso station house in pics I've seen online of it looks nice, and for sure would be something I'd like to get a quick look at if I ever do a Sunset Limited trip through there someday. Well, I hope your trip to El Paso goes well.

I actually just sent one. Even if they say it's too late for me to get a voucher, they need to know that it's not acceptable. The thing is, right now, the Sunset only has that one sleeper, so no one could be moved.

I actually just sent one. Even if they say it's too late for me to get a voucher, they need to know that it's not acceptable. The thing is, right now, the Sunset only has that one sleeper, so no one could be moved.

I'm glad you did complain. Fingers crossed you do get something, out of complaining. And it shouldn't matter if you waited a little while after your trip to complain, since IMO it's still important for Amtrak to hear about service issues with their trains.

Back