Sunset Limited temp schedule

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rms492

Service Attendant
Hello, it looks like the Sunset Limited (at least #2 eastbound) is departing Los Angeles about 3 hours earlier, at an unusual precise time of 7:26pm.  (why not 7:25 or 7:30 lol).

Looks like for a week?  two weeks?

I cant find a temporary schedule anywhere on Amtrak's site, (other than manually inputting each origin and destination).  Is there a pdf somewhere of this temp schedule and how long the temp times are?

If you like the eastbound schedule, check out the westbound schedule in March. If you're on the Texas Eagle you'll get a good night's sleep - in San Antonio. It arrives about 10pm, as it does now,  and ldoesn't leave for LA until 7 am. Sunset slightly shorter time in San Antonio. You'll also get a better arrival time in LA - 8:40. But it's not so good if you're in a hurry (but then you wouldn't take the train) as total trip time is about 68 hours. Great if you're a railfan!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've read on FB that February dates are also affected - people getting emails letting them know their trains are leaving earlier.

If you like the eastbound schedule, check out the westbound schedule in March. If you're on the Texas Eagle you'll get a good night's sleep - in San Antonio. It arrives about 10pm, as it does now,  and ldoesn't leave for LA until 7 am. Sunset slightly shorter time in San Antonio. You'll also get a better arrival time in LA - 8:40. But it's not so good if you're in a hurry (but then you wouldn't take the train) as total trip time is about 68 hours. Great if you're a railfan!
Much better schedule for SAS-LAX. I have a feeling Tucson and Maricopa westbound are going to be stuck in  the graveyard shift though. 

I'm booked on that train to leave Los Angeles Union Station March 13. I have not received any notice of changes to my ticket, however. And when I check March 13, the train still shows as leaving at 10 PM. I do see that on March 1, it departs at 7:26, so I assume this is a brief change for some sort of track work or maintenance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this temporary? Or is it a soft launch of a new schedule?
I'm guessing it's UP track work.   When there's major work happening they sometimes give Amtrak a window in which to pass through, so Amtrak has to adjust it's times to make that window.

I'm guessing it's UP track work.   When there's major work happening they sometimes give Amtrak a window in which to pass through, so Amtrak has to adjust it's times to make that window.

It is as AmtrakBlue stated. We were sort of covering it in the Sunset Limited canceled (2/25/19) thread.  Track work commences in January and should wrap up in March.  Some of the trains will operate on different schedules while some of them are not going to operate at all.

They finally put out a public advisory:

https://www.amtrak.com/alert/track-work-affects-sunset-limited-texas-eagle.html

Track Work Affects Sunset Limited and Texas Eagle Trains

Effective January 17 - March 9, 2019

Due to track work being performed by Union Pacific Railroad between San Antonio and El Paso, service for Sunset Limited and Texas Eagle Trains 1, 2, 421 and 422 will be adjusted as outlined below. 

Temporary Schedule

Train 1/421

• Normal schedule from New Orleans to San Antonio and Chicago to San Antonio
  • Depart San Antonio at 2:15 am, 30 minutes earlier than scheduled
  • Depart Del Rio at 7:19 am, 90 minutes later than scheduled
  • Depart El Paso at 4:47 pm, 3 hours later than scheduled
  • Arrive in Los Angeles at 8:40 am, 3 hours and 5 minutes later than scheduled

Train 2/422

• Depart Los Angeles at 7:26 pm, 2 hours and 34 minutes earlier than scheduled
  • Departs El Paso at 12:51 pm, 2 hours and 44 minutes earlier than scheduled
  • Departs San Antonio at 6:25 am, then runs normal schedule from San Antonio to New Orleans and San Antonio to Chicago

Trains Cancelled January 17 through February 17 

• Train 1 departing New Orleans January 21 and 28, February 4 and 11. 
  • Train 421 departing Chicago January 20 and 27, February 3, 10 and 17.
  • Train 2/422 departing Los Angeles January 20 and 27, February 3, 10 and 17.
  • No alternate transportation will be provided on these dates.

Trains Canceled February 17 through March 9 

• Train 1 departing New Orleans February 18, 25 and March 4.
  • Train 421 departing Chicago February 24 and March 3.
  • Train 2/422 departing Los Angeles February 24 and March 3.
  • No alternate transportation will be provided on these dates.

PSN 0119-03

Back