Sunset Limited/Texas Eagle Sleeper Transfer?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A strange and happy thing happened yesterday with regard to our Deming NM to New Orleans trip and back. After getting all the wonderful answers from all you wonderful people, my sister called AGR to make a reservation so that we would be in a roomette from Deming to NOL and then on the return trip in coach from NOL to SAS, then switching to a roomette at SAS. There is a difference of about 2000 points between a roomette on the SSL and a roomette on the TE with the TE using less points. I had previously determined that she had enough points to switch to the SSL roomette, the "higher" cost roomette. However, the AGR rep told her she didn't have enough points for the SSL roomette, so put us on the TE roomette. She didn't push back and we got the ticket. When I looked at it, I noticed that it said that we were both adults, but she is a senior citizen and I had made my calculations based on that. I told her she should call back and get that straightened out. So after a few hours, like maybe 2, she did call back. That AGR agent told her 1) she had enough points to go roundtrip in roomettes without doing coach at all and 2) there aren't senior citizen discounts when it comes to paying with points. We were both very surprised to hear the agent tell her she had enough points, but she didn't argue, of course, and "purchased" the ticket. When she told me what happened, I told her to go into her AGR account and see if maybe points were dispensed to her during those 2 hours of waiting. And that is exactly what had happened! What an amazing coincidence! All this happened yesterday May 20th. Does this mean that the 20th of every month is going to be the magic day when points from her credit card payments accrue to her AGR account? Or when does it happen?
AGR points posting from the credit card are tied to the closing date on the credit card. So, if your closing date is the 20th, that is when they will appear on your AGR account (it could vary a day if it occurs over a weekend or holiday).

A strange and happy thing happened yesterday with regard to our Deming NM to New Orleans trip and back. After getting all the wonderful answers from all you wonderful people, my sister called AGR to make a reservation so that we would be in a roomette from Deming to NOL and then on the return trip in coach from NOL to SAS, then switching to a roomette at SAS. There is a difference of about 2000 points between a roomette on the SSL and a roomette on the TE with the TE using less points. I had previously determined that she had enough points to switch to the SSL roomette, the "higher" cost roomette. However, the AGR rep told her she didn't have enough points for the SSL roomette, so put us on the TE roomette. She didn't push back and we got the ticket. When I looked at it, I noticed that it said that we were both adults, but she is a senior citizen and I had made my calculations based on that. I told her she should call back and get that straightened out. So after a few hours, like maybe 2, she did call back. That AGR agent told her 1) she had enough points to go roundtrip in roomettes without doing coach at all and 2) there aren't senior citizen discounts when it comes to paying with points. We were both very surprised to hear the agent tell her she had enough points, but she didn't argue, of course, and "purchased" the ticket. When she told me what happened, I told her to go into her AGR account and see if maybe points were dispensed to her during those 2 hours of waiting. And that is exactly what had happened! What an amazing coincidence! All this happened yesterday May 20th. Does this mean that the 20th of every month is going to be the magic day when points from her credit card payments accrue to her AGR account? Or when does it happen?
It's up to BOA as to when Points are sent in to Amtrak who then add them to your Account.

Congrats on getting a good Agent and not having to switch Cars in San Antonio @ O Dark Thirty!

Nice trip, look forward to your trip report!😎

#1 arriving into San Antonio will be 2 P-42s, Bag Car, Transdorm,Revenue Sleeper, Diner,Sightseer Lounge, and 2 Coaches.

The #421 Thru Cars that are added added to the Rear of the #1 Consist during Switching are a Coach and a Revenue Sleeper.
That’s very close Bob, but they have dropped the baggage car and transdorm from the Sunset. So now the #1 revenue sleeper is directly behind the engines and one of it’s two coaches will be a coach-baggage.

That’s very close Bob, but they have dropped the baggage car and transdorm from the Sunset. So now the #1 revenue sleeper is directly behind the engines and one of it’s two coaches will be a coach-baggage.
Thanks for the update, I hadn't read that and it's been a year since I rode on the Eagle/Sunset( Austin-Alpine Round Trip).

It has its very own slab now? Wow, they've gone all out! I thought Deming was one of the "stop at a grade crossing" places.
I don't actually know; I haven't been there yet, so you're probably correct. I have seen a picture of what looks like a plastic hut though.

Edit: I guess the plastic hut is not a plastic hut, but is a metal shelter with 2 walls and a roof for shade. Metal, in the desert? Really? Whatever.

Last edited:
Last I was on the TE (a little over a year ago) it was still the same old grade crossing.

Gosh, Fat Panda Guy, no one ever responded to your last inquiry. How did it turn out?

And I have a similar question, but with distinctly different parameters. My sister and I are going to New Orleans from Deming NM and back again in January 2023. We are planning on using points, but don't have quite enough for a roomette both ways. So we were thinking of taking a roomette from DEM to NOL and then on the return trip taking coach from NOL to San Antonio, then switching to a roomette at San Antonio. We would have enough points to do that. Obviously we would have to de-train in San Antonio, but my question is when do they allow (re-)boarding? Arrival at 12:05 am isn't terrible, but 2:45 am would be problematic. May I assume they're not going to allow boarding or getting off while they are attaching the 2 trains to each other?

Yes, you will have to change cars. 2130 will not be on the train at all until San Antonio.

An agent will not be able to do anything about the nature of the physical consist.

If you don't want to get up and mess around in San Antonio at 2:45 am (and I wouldn't), pay the extra $100.

Edit: upon reading your second post, since you received an email from Amtrak, there was likely an eticket pdf attached. You were not clear on whether you were quoting the email body or the eticket boarding pass. You are booked on whatever that PDF is.

Same thing happened to me, as I previously posted elsewhere. I took my original pdf printout showing roomette and my newer pdf showing bedroom when I boarded at NIB. Conductor told me he already knew I was in bedroom D, so I kept mum and enjoyed the extra space. No upcharge.

Thanks for asking, and my apologies for never following up here.

As it turns out, the conductor and the OBS crews were absolutely fantastic. I could not have asked for a better journey.

I was in the D car for train 1, and asked my car attendant how the layover would happen in SAT. I would definitely have to detrain but she'd talk to the car attendant for the 421 and would try and get me on board early so I could get to bed sooner than later.
She ended up talking to the conductor and lead OBS guy. As it turns out, the solo traveler who was on the 421 room D, was getting off at SAT and on to the #1. In Room D!!!!! SMH. Amtrak's reservation system is so messed up, lol. And once the conductor found out my dad had only paid for coach even though I had been upgraded to a bedroom, he practically forced my dad to become an honorary sleeping car passenger. Which really helped my dad out a lot.

Our entire trip from NOL to TUS was absolutely amazing. The staff was great, the food was great, and the train was only marginally late.

Back