sunset limited to be restored

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amtrakwolverine

Engineer
just saw this on CNN the sunset limited is to be restored to the full route before Katrina and it will be daily service should begin next week.

just saw this on CNN the sunset limited is to be restored to the full route before Katrina and it will be daily service should begin next week.

Great!! Looks like more good news for rail travel in the U.S. The weird thing is, somehow I forgot they cut service.

NOW CUT THAT OUT! :lol: :lol: :lol:

You are making me wish for things that only 'fools' think will come true in their lifetime.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice try but we all know Amtrak isn't big enough to make CNN headlines until two or more people die on one of their trains.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Next someone will post that the Pioneer & Desert Wind are coming back!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
... and pigs have started to fly. :lol:
I bet I can make a pig fly.
catapults would help.

And it may just be me... but i just dont GET the whole Sunset Limited to Florida thing. When it was operating, I dont think I ever heard one positive thing about the train. Granted we probably do need some kind of service on that route.. but why not a seperate train of some sort.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Next someone will post that the Pioneer & Desert Wind are coming back!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
catapults would help.

And it may just be me... but i just dont GET the whole Sunset Limited to Florida thing. When it was operating, I dont think I ever heard one positive thing about the train. Granted we probably do need some kind of service on that route.. but why not a seperate train of some sort.
While a separate train from NOL to JAX would fill in the gap, I'd guess that it would be more expensive for Amtrak to run a separate trainset back and forth between NOL & JAX. If the Sunset Ltd just went on east from NOL, it would be with the same crew and trainset. And for me personally, I wouldn't have to change trains in NOL if the Sunset simply went on to JAX. Much of this is pie-in-the-sky 'cuz I'd certainly stop in NOL and spend a week there anyway. Changing trains wouldn't be a big deal.

And it may just be me... but i just don't GET the whole Sunset Limited to Florida thing. When it was operating, I don't think I ever heard one positive thing about the train. Granted we probably do need some kind of service on that route.. but why not a separate train of some sort.
Aloha

I forget the year (mind is the second thing to go, I forget the 4th) from Orlando to LA. It was the only time I had a bedroom, most other LD trips in roomettes. I enjoyed the trip. This was a couple of months after the bayou accident. And Surprise we were on time most of the way. We lost 2 hours in Glendale CA due to a bent switch. Actually was more convenient to arrive around 10 am, my daughter got to miss LA rush hours traffic to pick me up.

catapults would help.

Lots of complaints but most of those centered around lateness. Would have been fine if it had run more on time

Plus, that was a specifially Amtrak contribution to the passenger trains. The railroads before it had never ran a through train from Miami, or Orlando, or Sanford or even Jacksonville to LA.

There had been various through sleeping cars routes around the country in various places but this was the first solid through entire train to go coast to coast, an Amtrak creation.

The Coast Starlight, running north and south, accompishd something similar by connecting together what had been separate routes. For a time it even went to San Diego but the chronic lateness got the best of that.

While a separate train from NOL to JAX would fill in the gap, I'd guess that it would be more expensive for Amtrak to run a separate trainset back and forth between NOL & JAX. If the Sunset Ltd just went on east from NOL, it would be with the same crew and trainset. And for me personally, I wouldn't have to change trains in NOL if the Sunset simply went on to JAX. Much of this is pie-in-the-sky 'cuz I'd certainly stop in NOL and spend a week there anyway. Changing trains wouldn't be a big deal.
I just realized how Amtrak can get the funding for the Sunset East!

1) Announce it will start continuous service LAX-JAX.

2) Omit New Orleans from the schedule -- have the train just pass through at speed. Too inconvenient and expensive to stop there. Too many people getting on and off with a week's worth of luggage at NOL in the midst of their LAX-JAX trips.

3) Tell New Orleans the train will stop there if the city pays some "modest" fee for "extra baggage handlers"! Amazingly, this modest fee exactly equals the operating costs of running the Sunset East....

Nice try but we all know Amtrak isn't big enough to make CNN headlines until two or more people die on one of their trains.
it was on CNN cause of the billions and billions of dollars it was going to cost to operate it and you could replace that train with 1 daily round trip bus

it was on CNN cause of the billions and billions of dollars it was going to cost to operate it and you could replace that train with 1 daily round trip bus
You folks can base your decisions on whatever you would like. As for myself...

If I want to get from NOL to JAX, I'll take the train up north, then ride the train back south. I'm not stepping on a bus unless it's an emergency.

You calling me a pig? :angry:

I have to fly on 4/7! :eek:
While a pig (Sus scrofa) flying strikes me as quite unusual, "The Traveler" flying doesn't. Does any airline have a penthouse on their plane? :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back