Sunset Suspensions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

battalion51

Engineer
I just read a press release from Amtrak regarding track work suspending the Sunset later this month. The Sunset did not operate to Orlando on Wednesday, and did not leave Tuesday. The equipment from Monday was turned over to Thursdays equipment. Here's the release from Amtrak regarding future suspensions.

March 03, 2003
CSX TRACK WORK TEMPORARILY SUSPENDS SUNSET LIMITED BETWEEN NEW ORLEANS AND ORLANDO

Train service to be affected March 12 through 20

WASHINGTON - Due to scheduled track maintenance work by CSX Transportation, the Sunset Limited (Trains #1 and #2) will be temporarily suspended between New Orleans, La. and Orlando, Fla. in mid-March.  The train will operate on its normal schedule between Los Angeles and New Orleans.  

CSX Transportation will be completing an intensive track improvement project, forcing the change in the three-day-a-week Sunset Limited.  

"We understand that this temporary suspension in service may cause some inconvenience to our passengers," said Joe Wall, General Superintendent of Amtrak's Southern Division.  "However, by closing the tracks entirely, the project will be completed as quickly as possible, minimizing service disruptions."  

During the track maintenance project, Train #1, which would normally originate in Orlando on March 16, 18 and 20, will instead originate in New Orleans on March 17, 19 and 21 with service through to Los Angeles.  Eastbound departures originating in Los Angeles on March 12, 14 and 16 will terminate in New Orleans.  The last westbound train prior to the suspension will depart Orlando on March 13.  The last eastbound train prior to the suspension will depart Los Angeles on March 9.  The Sunset Limited will resume its normal route westbound with a departure from Orlando on March 23 and an eastbound departure from Los Angeles on March 19.  

For more information on train schedules, please call 1-800-USA-RAIL or visit www.amtrak.com.

This is already old news. We had this topic last week and it's already dropped over to page #2. You can view the original post here.

I'll try to talk to a friend of mine in management and see if he knows what the story is on passengers who have tickets to Orlando (reference from the page that Alan linked to). I'm guessing those who are going from LA to Orlando may be re accomodated on the SW Chief, then the Capitol Ltd, and finally Silver Service. Since the Sunset equipment will be idle for that week or so it may be sent out on the SW Chief/Cap Ltd trainsets to help with the overflow. Then again this is just speculation on my part.

battalion51 said:
Since the Sunset equipment will be idle for that week or so it may be sent out on the SW Chief/Cap Ltd trainsets to help with the overflow. Then again this is just speculation on my part.
Well only one set of equipment will be idle and that would be the set that gets trapped in Orlando/Sanford. Otherwise the Sunset will still be running between NOL and LAX.

Actually Alan there will be no equipment in SFA. If you look closely the first WB departure is four days after the first EB, so that lines up correctly for the turnover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back