Superliner bedroom & luggage questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

William

Train Attendant
Greetings all,

My friend and myself are getting close to booking our next Amtrak trip, either to New Orleans or Fort Lauderdale.

My questions concern travelling in a Superliner bedroom, not a roomette.

First, could we store any luggage under the seats? We will have 2 medium sized suitcases and 2 small carry-ons.

I guess we could also store our suitcases in the top bunk during the day, but would there be room on the floor for the luggage at night?

I can't get a real sense of the space of the bedroom by looking at the virtual tour on the Amtrak site. I can see the dimensions, but I am curious about open floor

space.

Also, when the beds are in place at night, is the single little seat opposite the beds still able to be occupied?

I have traveled many times in a roomette, but this will be my first trip in a bedroom.

Is there luggage storage elsewhere on the train for non-checked luggage?

If there is, would we have access to our luggage during the trip?

Lastly, should we decided to check our 2 suitcases, how long does it usually take to retrieve our luggage at our final destination?

Thanks in advance!

Bill

:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
The best place to store luggage in a Superliner sleeper is in the baggage storage area downstairs. This is especially convenient for me since I use the shower downstairs instead of in the room (that way the toilet and toilet paper in my room stays dry), and so my clothes are near the shower.

As I recall, not much will fit under the seat. I find it very uncomfortable to have the upper berth down in the daytime so that is not a good storage place either. I keep a backpack with me and hang my toiletry bag in the room, but the rest stays downstairs.

There is a narrow closet area in the room for hanging coats and / or a change of clothes.

Checked luggage may be available a few minutes after arrival. But let's face it--this is Amtrak. It might take longer...

Last edited by a moderator:
Two medium suitcases and two carry-ons in a Superliner bedroom can be done I think. Could put one suitcase on the chair and one under it if not too big. One carry-on can go on a space above the chair and other in front of chair. When beds are down very little floor space.

To Ft Lauderdale you would be in a Viewliner which has lots more room above for storage.

I keep our rolling bags in the baggage area in the lower level hallway across from the stairs. We each have a back pack with misc items we need during the trip, which can include a change of clothing if on a two night trip. There is no storage under the bed, there is a shelf over the chair, but it only holds a backpack. The space is really limited when the bed is made. Remember the ladder takes up some floor space as well. How long to get your bags depends on location and how busy the staff is.

Aren't the two cities he mentioned served by viewliners? The only train on the east coast that uses superliners is the auto train as far as I know. While I have a lot of experience with superliner bedroom, I don't know how they compare to viewliners.

Aren't the two cities he mentioned served by viewliners? The only train on the east coast that uses superliners is the auto train as far as I know. While I have a lot of experience with superliner bedroom, I don't know how they compare to viewliners.
Fort Lauderdale is solely served by single level trains, but two of the three services serving New Orleans are superliner trains.

Fort Lauderdale is solely served by single level trains, but two of the three services serving New Orleans are superliner trains.
I was only thinking Crescent, I forgot about the rest. It was late when I read it.

I was only thinking Crescent, I forgot about the rest. It was late when I read it.
Just for info, the Capital Limited serves the east and is equipped with superliners.

Two different locations are referenced by the op that are served by two different types of sleepers..

Viewliner bedroom is no problem for a good amount of luggage as you have a very large area over the bathroom for luggage that has a railing around it. You will have to stand on the couch and lift the bags up to use it though. You also have the space over the door for smaller things.

The Superliner bedroom is a totally different story. It can get real tight in there when the beds are down because the ladder to the top bunk needs floor space when it is in place. The lower ceiling doesn't allow for baggage space over the bathroom. The above mentioned luggage rack on the lower level is the answer. Put the large baggage there and use small overnight bags for use in the bedroom. If possible check your luggage as that is the easier way.Amtrak.com will tell you if baggage service is available at your boarding station. Also note the allowable maximum baggage size.

There is luggage storage space in the boarding vestibule area on the lower level opposite the stairs.

Yes. The single seat in the bedroom is available for sitting with the 'couch' configured for sleeping.

You would not have access to check baggage while you are on the train.

Click on Superliner Virtual 3D Tour and then click on Lower Level to see where the luggage storage is:

https://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=AM_Accommodation_C&pagename=am%2FLayout&cid=1241210576107
If your traveling with carry on sized rollers, then yes you can fit one above the armchair and one under the armchair. Also, yes you can occupy the armchair.

I have pictures of the room in night mode here. http://seat38a.com/amtrak-sunset-limited-los-angeles-to-new-orleans-day-1/

http://seat38a.com/amtrak-southwest-chief-albuquerque-to-los-angeles-in-deluxe-bedroom/

The two links above have pictures of the bedrooms aboard the Sunset Limited and the Southwest Chief for you to get a sense of the space available. The first link has a picture of the room in night mode and it shows the amount of space available to the armchair.

Thanks everyone for your replies. Very helpful info, as usual.

I meant to say 'Viewliner" not "Superliner" for our trip.

We will originate in New York City.

Thanks again!

Back