Superliner bedroom questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AudenHoggart

Service Attendant
Although we've used roomettes (both Superliner and single level) many times, we're splurging for a bedroom on an upcoming AutoTrain trip. I have a couple of questions:

- In the roomettes the made-up beds take up most of the compartment, so we've never had them made up prior to when we actually were getting ready to go to bed. Will this be different in the roomier bedroom? That is, should we have the upper berth made up early so we can put things up there (like my CPAP machine) well before bedtime?

- I've always found the hall showers in sleeping cars to be just fine. I realize that the bedrooms have their own showers, but they seem to be in a configuration where they share space with the in-room toilet. I'm not sure how this works. How does using the in-room shower compare with using the hallway shower?

Thanks for any insights!

We leave the upper bunk "down" all the time (not necessarily made up)...convenient to stash stuff, etc. Even when down, not cramped as the roomettes are.

Your SCA will accommodate you desires. Just ask him/her when you board.

Without using the upper berth for storage, I found there was plenty of storage space in the Bedroom for carry-on luggage for two people. With the lower berth made, there is still enough space to move within the accommodation. Not a lot of space, but enough space.

Using the shower that is located in the enclosed toilet area makes the entire space wet. Thoroughly drying the walls and the commode after use would be needed. Booking a Bedroom again, I would use the shower in the lower level, personally.

Like Frensic, Mrs. EmCee and I had the upper berth down for storage during a recent trip in a Bedroom on the SWC. It was fine! There is adequate, not generous, space in a Superliner Bedroom for the carry-ons of two people. The upper berth helps to create more space and does not significantly restrict daytime movement in the bedroom, even when sitting on the couch.

Unlike Dakota, we both showered in the Bedroom and never felt the need to dry the walls, or any other unusual tasks, before using the commode. Think of it as a "wet bath" in an RV and you've got it. Personally, I think showering in your Superliner Bedroom is a wonderful luxury, even considering the wet bath.

One other note, once the Lower Berth is down, you will have about ten inches of room between the edge of the sink and the edge of the berth. We find it easier to sit on the berth rather than stand to do bedtime "tooth cleaning" and other nightly chores.

My guess is that after your Bedroom "splurge", you may find it more desirable for two people than a single Roomette, and will plan future trips accordingly!

The best feature of a Superliner Bedroom for us (besides the commode & sink in the room) is the ladder, which makes it much easier to get up into the top bunk than in a Roomette.

Like Frensic, Mrs. EmCee and I had the upper berth down for storage during a recent trip in a Bedroom on the SWC. It was fine! There is adequate, not generous, space in a Superliner Bedroom for the carry-ons of two people. The upper berth helps to create more space and does not significantly restrict daytime movement in the bedroom, even when sitting on the couch.

Unlike Dakota, we both showered in the Bedroom and never felt the need to dry the walls, or any other unusual tasks, before using the commode. Think of it as a "wet bath" in an RV and you've got it. Personally, I think showering in your Superliner Bedroom is a wonderful luxury, even considering the wet bath.

One other note, once the Lower Berth is down, you will have about ten inches of room between the edge of the sink and the edge of the berth. We find it easier to sit on the berth rather than stand to do bedtime "tooth cleaning" and other nightly chores.

My guess is that after your Bedroom "splurge", you may find it more desirable for two people than a single Roomette, and will plan future trips accordingly!
Re: My comment and your reaction to my "wet bathroom" post:

If it had just been me in the Bedroom, I would not have had any objection. My traveling companion, however, was not a "happy camper" having to use a rather damp toilet facility until the Sleeping Car Attendant could positively resolve the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back