Superliner on 5/9 Cardinal

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slasharoo

Service Attendant
It sounds like Chicago bound 51 hit a tree, so we are loaded onto a superliner for the trip east. Haven't left CHI yet, but only 15 minutes late so far.

You didn't indicate if you're in Coach or a Sleeper, but the Superliner will have to come off in WAS for those traveling North on the NEC!

Does Chicago keep extra Superliners in the yards now, or was it scavenged from another Train?

We are in a roomette. I chose an even number to be on the left going through the gorge, but now we're on the right side. How are the views on the right going east?

Lucky! Did they throw in an SSL for the trip?

(I got to do this trip in a Superliner set last year...it was amazing)

No, we don't have equipment to run a revived Desert Wind, Pioneer, or any other train on which Superliners belong....

No, we don't have equipment to run a revived Desert Wind, Pioneer, or any other train on which Superliners belong....
Being able to cobble one set together for a one-off irrops consist is a whole lot easier than finding cars for the multiple sets needed to operate a train like the Desert Wind or Pioneer on a daily or even tri-weekly basis.

So this is what happened!! They made up a #50 with Superliners!! We were down at Amtrak Train Days all day yesterday and noticed how horrible the Cardinal (#51) was doing. We stayed in the station until around 5PM or so, and notice that #51 was going to come in 8 hours late -- but the boards were showing that #50 was still going to leave on-time. I told my wife and a fellow AUF member who was hanging with us that there would be NO way that #50 was going to leave on-time with #51 being so late and no spare Viewliner sleepers being kept in Chicago. We went to get a bite to eat, and before we walked back to our car, we cut through the station to see the status of #50 and noticed that it had left already. Then, checking the status, we saw #51 arrived at 6:00pm and #50 left 22 minutes later. I was like... ***... since there was no way they could turn around the equipment that closely. Too bad they didn't add a SSL on there for everyone, but that had 2 or 3 taken up for the Excursion Train yesterday.

rtabern, that's what happened. I didn't even think about the SSLs being used for train day. They're probably still filled with drunks from the brewery excursion :) ...We left about :35 late and are now in Huntington about :45 down. The crew has been excellent, especially since many we've talked to have never worked a superliner.

It sounds like Chicago bound 51 hit a tree, so we are loaded onto a superliner for the trip east. Haven't left CHI yet, but only 15 minutes late so far.
I was wondering what happened to that Cardinal. I'm taking the 51 in a couple of weeks and have been keeping an eye on its performance and saw its big 8 hour delay between Thurmond and Montgomery.

Hey City of Miami, thanks for stopping by the station at Charlottesville to talk Cardinal. It's nice putting a face to the avatar. I have been unable to make any of the gatherings, but it's terrific talking face to face. Hope to meet up again soon.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back