Superliner Room 19

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I seem to recall seeing "floor plan" of the Superliner sleeper with the room numbers, but be darned if I can find it on the Amtrak site. I found one on this site:

http://www.amtrakagentsupport.com/fam-3d-tours-diagrams.htm

This would seem to indicate (since room #19 isn't shown) that it is in the Transdorm. Would that be a correct assumption?

By the way, the Car # is 3009(on the CZ). Is that another clue?

Last edited by a moderator:
I seem to recall seeing "floor plan" of the Superliner sleeper with the room numbers, but be darned if I can find it on the Amtrak site. I found one on this site:

http://www.amtrakage...rs-diagrams.htm

This would seem to indicate (since room #19 isn't shown) that it is in the Transdorm. Would that be a correct assumption?

By the way, the Car # is 3009(on the CZ). Is that another clue?

You'll hear both pro's & cons about the Transdorm Car. I was in Rm#19 last year & actually enjoyed it! Yes it's a walk to the Diner but the shower is on the upper level & with limited rooms it felt like a private car!

Have Fun

George, I had Transdorm roomette No. 19 on Texas Eagle last time I rode to Chicago and I think that number is always in a Transdorm.

3009 is Transdorm on CapLtd.

On the Zephyr:

0540|0640 [CHI-EMY] Superliner Dorm/Sleeper

Hope this helps, enjoy your trip.

I too was in the Transdorm on the EB acouple of years ago, and loved it. My present enquiry is for the friend in his eighties who is looking for an upgrade to bedroom. He will be pleased to know the shower is on the upper deck, and that the car will be quieter (except for the loco whistle, which I love anyway).

I recently rode in room #20 in the transdorm of the Southwest Chief. It was fine, nice and quiet, and I also liked having the shower on the same floor. I saw no disadvantage compared to a regular sleeping car. I do not rely much on the SCA (I usually switch from seats to bunk myself, that way I can have a seat right until I want to sleep, and same in the morning when I wake up) - so, I don't feel the necessity of tipping as much. This is not to say that I did not have attention paid to me, but it was a couple of different SCA's from different cars that checked in on me - and they seemed fine with the fact that I was pretty much self-tending.

I never mind being a long distance from the diner, whether I'm in coach or a roomette. I like the exercise and like to walk the whole length of the train (well, as much as is allowed) several times a day anyway. Mealtimes are a good time for some of that exercise. Plus I like seeing everyone who has boarded the train since my last walk.

I too was confused as you were when I got my reservation, and this forum cleared it right up for me :) .

You are correct. We stayed in roomette 18 last Dec. on our way to AZ on the Sunset Limited. #19 is across the hall from there and you're luckier because it's not next to the toilet!

Coffee setup is a short distance away in the next sleeper.

One should note that most, but not all, transition sleepers have showers on the upper level.

A few of them were built with an extra roomette on the upper level.

One should note that most, but not all, transition sleepers have showers on the upper level.

A few of them were built with an extra roomette on the upper level.
I was in room 18 on the SWC a few weeks ago and the layout of that trans-dorm had a locked room adjacent to 18 (instead of a toilet/shower), a captain's chair instead of beds in 15 (the attendant's room), a 'dressing room' (with 2 stools facing a counter and a large mirror in addition to a shower) instead of the H room, and another shower in the toilet area adjacent to the dressing room (I used that one). The rest of the car appeared to be much like the floor plan shown in the post above.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was in room 18 on the SWC a few weeks ago and the layout of that trans-dorm had a locked room adjacent to 18 (instead of a toilet/shower), a captain's chair instead of beds 15 (the attendant's room), a 'dressing room' (with 2 stools facing a counter and a large mirror in addition to a shower) instead of the H room, and another shower in the toilet area adjacent to the dressing room (I used that one). The rest of the car appeared to be much like the floor plan shown in the post above.
The "captain's chair" in room 15 is standard on all transition sleepers, though at least one has been converted to have an actual seat pair to fold into a lower bed (no upper bunk).

The few with the extra roomette and no shower upstairs also have no H room downstairs (one exception to that rule being the one that has the roomette in room 15, which also had its dressing room replaced with an H room).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back