superliner roomette question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dedhd

Train Attendant
I know they are small, question if the top bed is down is one still able to sit in the seats, as you can do in a viewliner roomette?

I can still sit up just fine, but I'm 5'5". My ex-bf was 5'9" and could sit up with a little clearance too.

Once the bottom bunk is made up, it's a little tricky, as the mattress lays on top of the seats. As such, you lose a couple inches of headroom. I can still sit up, but it's not very comfortable unless I put a couple pillows behind my back (the back of the seat slides down and becomes part of the bed).

If you want the bottom in daytime config and top nighttime, it can work. The upper bed only comes down to the top of the chair backs since this is what is supporting the upper bunk. So if you are not a tall person you will be able to sit in the lower with the bunk down. I think the dimensions of the seats in the Superliner and Viewliner are almost the same, especially vertically.

I found it very comfortable to sit up on the bottom bunk, even with the bed made up and the top bunk down, but I'm only 5'0".

We will be confronted with this scenario. On our trip next year to OMA its one overnight to CHI so we booked a bedroom on the CL.. The final leg of our journey is from CHI-OMA. Its a 9 hour trip, not an overnight, so we booked a roomette for this segment. It would be advantageous to grab a few hours of sleep before we get in to OMA at 11 PM. Just don't know how this will work out. We would like to put the top bed down and maybe take turns but we are 5'11 and 6'. Doesn't seem like too many options are available. Any suggestions?

I travel by myself and leave the roomette in the Day configuration the entire trip.

I sleep in the upper bunk.

If I get up at night I have no trouble sitting in one of the seats.

I'm 5' 10".

Not sure I'd pay for a Roomette from CHI-OMA, but it does include Dinner for 2 and Low Bucket Rail Fare, so if you got a Low Bucket Roomette probably worth it.

I've seen lots of people book Rooms from LAX-SBA on the Coast Starlight which includes Lunch in tbe Diner for a trip that is only 3 Hours or so!

Last edited by a moderator:
On sleeper trips our upper bunk is usually down and during the day is more convenient to keep stuff than under the seat. While headroom is a little restricted its not bad. On trips with 3 in 2 roomettes we kept one room in the day configuration with stuff on on seat and the other seat available if one of us became restless during the night and wanted to sit rather than try to sleep.

I travel by myself and leave the roomette in the Day configuration the entire trip.

I'm 5' 10".
Ditto. That is, if the TASC/SCA hasn't already made up the lower bed without my input. I'm also 5'10".

Not sure I'd pay for a Roomette from CHI-OMA, but it does include Dinner for 2 and Low Bucket Rail Fare, so if you got a Low Bucket Roomette probably worth it.

I've seen lots of people book Rooms from LAX-SBA on the Coast Starlight which includes Lunch in tbe Diner for a trip that is only 3 Hours or so!
Also LAX>SLO on the Coast Starlight which is a bit longer trip. Was tempted to do that last year but went with the, then new, Business Class.

Last month were in a roomette EMY>LAX; about 13 hours and included lunch and dinner.

I don't see any reason to clutter a roomette in a superliner with all the space down stairs for baggage. Its easy to store what's needed. I've also dozed off pretty nicely in the seat with my back on the window side and my legs on the opposite corner. That's always after lunch and a couple glasses of wine. One thing, don't store anything under the bottom seats when it made into a bed, you will not be able to get it out in that configuration and its sort of tricky to fiddle with. The top bunk is easy to let down although the bedding is more than likely rolled up.

I'm 5' 10".
Ditto. That is, if the TASC/SCA hasn't already made up the lower bed without my input. I'm also 5'10".
This last May when I boarded the Sunset Limited in LA (10 PM departure time) my roomette was already in the night configuration.

The Red Cap took me out to the train an hour before departure so the TA-SC wasn't to busy.

The TA-SC gladly returned my accommodation to Day configuration and made the top bunk ready.

I got to take a shower too before we pulled out of the station.

An advantage of sleeping in the top bunk is the lower bunk mattress is on top of the upper bunk mattress making the top bunk extra cushy.

It reminds me of the saying "sleeping on cloud 9".

When the first book of basic cloud types was published, type #9 - Cumulonimbus, was considered the cushiest looking type for sleeping.

Back