Superliner roomette space, views

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lonnie

Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
I've booked a RT California Zephyr trip for hubby and me in a roomette. We've done the Viewliner roomette so we pretty much know what we're getting into. However, I'd love to know the exact dimensions of the closet, as he's considering getting some sort of travel guitar. Or he'll want to have his full size guitar in a lockable case. Are there bars on the downstairs luggage racks to which a case might be locked?
Finally, which side of the train, if any, best for the views, heading west or east? Thanks!

If is a SL-2, the closet is replaced with a small shelf with a hanger loop & heavy strap, geared towards a heavy garment bag, that might work for a guitar case. If it is a SL1 the closet will be too narrow for all but the slimmest cases. I would imagine a cable lock would work on the rack downstairs, but I would suggest being careful how you stowed it, since boarding passengers looking for space down the line may not be so gentle....You don't mention your starting and endpoints so scenery suggestions are difficult. To most folks, the best is West of Denver. There are some good youtube videos that will give you a good look see.

If is a SL-2, the closet is replaced with a small shelf with a hanger loop & heavy strap, geared towards a heavy garment bag, that might work for a guitar case. If it is a SL1 the closet will be too narrow for all but the slimmest cases. I would imagine a cable lock would work on the rack downstairs, but I would suggest being careful how you stowed it, since boarding passengers looking for space down the line may not be so gentle....You don't mention your starting and endpoints so scenery suggestions are difficult. To most folks, the best is West of Denver. There are some good youtube videos that will give you a good look see.
Let me add that there is no way to know in advance which version of the sleeper you will have...

The closet on the Superliner Is is barely wide enough to hang a couple of shirts, or a jacket/coat.

The closet on the Superliner Is is barely wide enough to hang a couple of shirts, or a jacket/coat.
Just wide enough for one of my sneakers. I put my sneakers into the closet heel to toe - and use them to hold the waterbottle(s) at night. :)

We're going Springfield MA to Oakland. I've been watching those videos and getting all excited!
I used to ride Amtrak in the Hudson valley and learned to sit on the west side of the train to get the best views. Maybe Denver to CA is totally amazing on both sides.

Regarding the views, there are amazing views from both sides from Denver onward as you head west. Sometimes the view is only out one side, though, such as when you're in one of the canyons and the track is along one side of the canyon wall. You'll have great views from your room some of the time, other times you'll likely be looking at a rock wall. Best to try and claim a spot in the Sightseer Lounge if you're able so you can get the best view in both directions.

I’ve done the route you’re taking from Boston to Martinez and I was able to fit my violin case in to the roomette without issue, though not in the closet.

Both trains were not full last November, but I didn’t feel the need to lock my case. Generally speaking, I would not worry about instrument theft aboard Amtrak.

I travel a lot with my instrument, so the owner just makes sure it’s insured with clarion.

We're going Springfield MA to Oakland. I've been watching those videos and getting all excited!
I used to ride Amtrak in the Hudson valley and learned to sit on the west side of the train to get the best views. Maybe Denver to CA is totally amazing on both sides.
Ok, good thoughts coming in.... I saw "syracuse" on your marker, so I was figuring Lake to Chicago and on to "somewhere." If the weather is nice and the train is relatively on time, you can park some stuff in the new and rather nice lounge, and get some nice walking around that end of Chicago.

Hopefully others have had some experience with this and can provide some advice but I would be very hesitant about storing a guitar case in the downstairs luggage rack.

For the best views I would suggest that you try to get a seat in the sightseer lounge car before your train leaves Denver as the best views are west of there and also in the Sierras the next day going west.

I am pretty short and was able to sleep with my sister's suitcase at my feet in the bottom bunk. Maybe if one of you is short, you could do the same with the guitar/case, but I'm not sure given the length of a guitar case. Another option is to get a bedroom or family bedroom for extra room to keep the guitar with you. But perhaps the advice from the professional musician who mentioned insurance might be the best advice.

Oh, and as to bars to which an item might be locked, I am only remembering solid shelves for the luggage in the superliner sleepers.
I think you are right about the shelves, not sure what was thinking of... looked at video and refreshed mind Ok, there is a grab bar just to the left of the fire extinguishers, a long cable lock will probably reach, not sure if crew would object to the cable if it is long and skinny and doesn't impede opening the cabinet door which is a legit safety concern....

Last edited:
In numerous trips in superliner sleeping cars, in which we almost always used the downstairs luggage space, I don't recall any instance where luggage was cable locked to a bar, post or other fixture so I am not sure that it can be done. Even if it can be done it would probably interfere with the periodic re-arranging of the luggage in that space as passengers entrain and detrain en route and I doubt that the attendant or other passengers would appreciate such action.

On the superliner sleeping cars do the roomettes have their own toilets/sinks? Thank you. I am a newbie and am looking forward to taking Amtrak from VA to LA October 2022. BTW is the timetable/schedule better for viewing heading west or east. We have our choice.

On the superliner sleeping cars do the roomettes have their own toilets/sinks? Thank you. I am a newbie and am looking forward to taking Amtrak from VA to LA October 2022. BTW is the timetable/schedule better for viewing heading west or east. We have our choice.
Superliner roomettes do not have toilets or sinks. I will leave to others to comment on scenery either east or west. I assume you will be taking the Southwest Chief. I have taken it both ways and enjoyed it each time.

I’ve done the route you’re taking from Boston to Martinez and I was able to fit my violin case in to the roomette without issue, though not in the closet.

Both trains were not full last November, but I didn’t feel the need to lock my case. Generally speaking, I would not worry about instrument theft aboard Amtrak.

I travel a lot with my instrument, so the owner just makes sure it’s insured with clarion.
Thank you. This is very helpful information.

Keep in mind there is a big difference between the upper bunk on the VL and the Superliner. The VL has windows and reasonable bed to ceiling clearance. There are no windows on the upper on the Superliners, and the ceiling curves cutting out clearance space. If possible, I try to buy roomette across from each other when two of us are traveling. Also, since all my granddaughters are now teens, having two rooms solves some teen girl issues.

Another thing that will be impossible to know ahead of time is the "condition" of the sleeping car air conditioning. My wife and I just took the Cal. Zephyr from Galesburg Illinois to Emeryville CA. We had a superliner 2 roomette. The air conditioning in the room was non-existent! The car attendant tried to make changes which resulted in some rooms being too cold while leaving others (ours included) way too hot. The top bunk was intolerable for that reason. We both slept or tried to in the bottom bed. My head on one end, hers on the other. Needless to say, the 2 nights were sleepless and miserable. I sat up with my face at the door which was opened enough to allow air from the cooler hallway to cool me a bit while allowing some privacy for my wife. Otherwise, the trip was great and the views, as well as the meals, were worth the effort.

Another thing that will be impossible to know ahead of time is the "condition" of the sleeping car air conditioning. My wife and I just took the Cal. Zephyr from Galesburg Illinois to Emeryville CA. We had a superliner 2 roomette. The air conditioning in the room was non-existent! The car attendant tried to make changes which resulted in some rooms being too cold while leaving others (ours included) way too hot. The top bunk was intolerable for that reason. We both slept or tried to in the bottom bed. My head on one end, hers on the other. Needless to say, the 2 nights were sleepless and miserable. I sat up with my face at the door which was opened enough to allow air from the cooler hallway to cool me a bit while allowing some privacy for my wife. Otherwise, the trip was great and the views, as well as the meals, were worth the effort.
Was the Sleeper Full? If not, you could have asked to be moved if a Room was available!

Please Call Amtrak (.800- USA- RAIL ) and when you get a Live Agent, ask for Customer Relations and report this.

You should be entitled to a Partial Refund or a Good Will Voucher for Future Travel.

The Superliner IIs have not been rehabbed like the Is, and lots of Mechanical problems are plauging these 40+ Year Old Cars.

Last edited:
Has anyone ever slept in the top bunk of a Superliner roomette and had it up the entire trip and thereby just use the seats (that make up into the bottom bunk) as seats during the day?

Back