Superliner roomette storage

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We've taken several trips on the Texas Eagle (San Antonio to Chicago) in coach, but next month we'll be in a roomette, and I have questions about storage. I must bring all my own food, so I'm trying to understand precisely what space we will have available.

I've been searching and I understand about the open luggage storage on the lower level, the step, the underseat area and its limitations, the option of storing things on the upper bunk, and the Viewliner storage area (not relevant to the Texas Eagle, of course).

What I don't understand yet is the area to the left of the right-hand seat (opposite the steps). I gather that sometimes this is a plain wall (because there's a narrow "closet" between there and the door), and sometimes it's a more open area with a hook. I don't know whether we can predict which we'll have.

Can anyone describe more precisely that space? How wide is the "closet"? And how tall (floor to ceiling, or more limited)? If the roomette has no closet, how much space is available, and how is it shaped?

I'm probably overthinking this, but I will really appreciate any help.

We've taken several trips on the Texas Eagle (San Antonio to Chicago) in coach, but next month we'll be in a roomette, and I have questions about storage. I must bring all my own food, so I'm trying to understand precisely what space we will have available.

I've been searching and I understand about the open luggage storage on the lower level, the step, the underseat area and its limitations, the option of storing things on the upper bunk, and the Viewliner storage area (not relevant to the Texas Eagle, of course).

What I don't understand yet is the area to the left of the right-hand seat (opposite the steps). I gather that sometimes this is a plain wall (because there's a narrow "closet" between there and the door), and sometimes it's a more open area with a hook. I don't know whether we can predict which we'll have.

Can anyone describe more precisely that space? How wide is the "closet"? And how tall (floor to ceiling, or more limited)? If the roomette has no closet, how much space is available, and how is it shaped?

I'm probably overthinking this, but I will really appreciate any help.
The Superliner Roomettes with the Narrow " Closet" are Superliner Is, most of which have been rehabbed by Beech Grove .

The ones with the " Open Space" where you can hang a Coat or Clothes are Superliner IIs, most of which have Not been rehabbed and are getting shabby, especially in the Bathrooms.

There is not really any space other than to hang some of your clothing in either one( and you can store your valuables in the small closet if you like). On the Is the SCA has put a Couple of Washrags and a Handtowel on the Shelf on top.

The narrow closet is exactly that, only about 6 or 8 inches wide, not much use for anything! I used the step to store my aircraft carry on size roller case, and the hook to hang my small back pack.

Actually, 6 inches wide will work for some of our things—but I'd like to know how tall it is. Tall enough just for a jacket? Down to the floor?

Also, the washrags are on the shelf on top of what?

Tall enough to hang a traditional men’s garment bag - shirt length. That’s true for both the enclosed and the open closet variety.

Below the hanging area is a small shelf sometimes stocked with a couple of washcloths. That MIGHT be strictly on the closed closet, I don’t fully remember.

Actually, 6 inches wide will work for some of our things—but I'd like to know how tall it is. Tall enough just for a jacket? Down to the floor?

Also, the washrags are on the shelf on top of what?
I’ve always found quite a bit of room under the hanging clothes in both the closet and the outside hook. Better in the closet. Room for food, just depends on the container size..you can always shuffle some food from downstairs in the baggage area.

The width of the closet is just enough for my <ladies> sneaker <- one sneaker. I put my sneakers in, toe to heel, at night then place my water bottle(s) in my sneaker(s) so they don’t fall while I’m sleeping.
As I recall, the shelf for the wash clothes is above the hanging rod.

The narrow closet is exactly that, only about 6 or 8 inches wide, not much use for anything! I used the step to store my aircraft carry on size roller case, and the hook to hang my small back pack.
Has your airline carry on size roller case ever fallen off the step and onto you during the night? Is it safe to put something there?

The "step" area will accommodate nicely my carry-on over the shoulder type bag with no issue. The area immediately under that top step is also very useful for small items.

The open "closet" is quite deep as to length. I once tried to place an item in the bottom of that area and had some difficulty in retrieving it.

The "step" area will accommodate nicely my carry-on over the shoulder type bag with no issue. The area immediately under that top step is also very useful for small items.

The open "closet" is quite deep as to length. I once tried to place an item in the bottom of that area and had some difficulty in retrieving it.
That is what the hangers are for

I would guess the closet is closer to 4 inches wide than six. It's very tall, however, very nearly floor to ceiling, enough to hang a garment bag, full length suit, etc.

The steps are wide enough to make a nice shelf for a phone and glasses at night, stand a small case up on, whatever. The space between the other seat and the closet wall... is useful primarily for causing small objects to vanish from sight under the seat. I seem to remember a small oddly-shaped wastebasket on the floor here (which I never used - it's not going to get emptied until you disembark, so better to take your apple core or banana peel to a real garbage can with a lid elsewhere.)

If I were redesigning the space, I would lose the closet.

When the Viewliners Is were built in the mid '90s, they duplicated the Superliner II 'open area' with a stainless steel U-shaped tube and a strap to secure all hanging clothing. Back when I used a garment bag, I've hung it full of clothing (sometimes I put the empty garment bag on the top bunk) AND a heavy ski-jacket I usually wear in the winter. It can hold far more than the 4-5" narrow closets on the Superliner Is. My 'fear' with the closets is leaving something on the floor or shelf. The shelf near the top of the closet is deep enough and high enough to make seeing something in the back nearly impossible without a flashlight and standing on my tip toes. I can think of a couple of loose items I must have left in those through the years.

I long ago 'reserved' the step for a large 'gym bag' with my electronics, bathroom items, meds, snacks, moccasins (why wear shoes?) and anything else I want easy access to. In the Viewliners, however, my gym bag fits nicely on the shelf below the hanging clothes.

On the plus side for the Superliner Is are the restrooms. They've been redesigned with the toilet at a 45 degree angle in the corner giving much more open floor space. The restrooms in the Superliner IIs are still the original style where, being and overweight adult, I find very cramped and claustrophobic while sitting on the toilet. I think there's maybe 12" x 30" of open floor space in those restrooms.

How far off the ground is the closet hanger bar? I'm thinking of bringing a garment bag next time so as to keep more stuff in the roomette, but I'm quite short (4'11") with not very extendable arms and poor upper body strength and have problems with a certain closet clothes rack in my own home (already there when we moved in).

How far off the ground is the closet hanger bar? I'm thinking of bringing a garment bag next time so as to keep more stuff in the roomette, but I'm quite short (4'11") with not very extendable arms and poor upper body strength and have problems with a certain closet clothes rack in my own home (already there when we moved in).
I’m going to say it’s about 5’3”. I think I remember it being eye level and I’m 5’5”

Yeah, the closet is super useful for hanging some sets of clothes, including full-length dresses, but not much else. It's tall, deep, but super narrow. As mentioned by someone else you can store your shoes in it if you put them in-line. The Family Bedroom on the Superliner has a similar closet.

Has your airline carry on size roller case ever fallen off the step and onto you during the night? Is it safe to put something there?
I have taken a roller case that size (on it's side ), and my back pack on the step and it has never fallen off. And that is on the Empire Builder that can get pretty rough in spots. I had no problem.

I prefer the closet on the Superliner Is—it's useful for hanging shirts, etc. to de-wrinkle while you're en route. I roll-pack my pajamas and put them on the top shelf—the Superliner II has tiny cubbies for towels, which I don't find to be as useful as the shelf in the closet. Down at the bottom of the closet go my shoes, and some other miscellaneous loose items, and the door ensures that everything stays where I park it.

The other reason I prefer the closet is because it adds additional coat hooks: there's a hook on the side of the closet (towards the seat) and another hook on the door. These are useful for hanging a shaving kit, jacket, or (recently) a facemask.

Having a closet also means that I'm in a Superliner I, which I greatly prefer. The rehabbed Superliner I cars are much less shabby with their faux-wood accents, and the bathrooms are much more roomy.

CA Zepher- roomette storage. Is there under the seat or any overhead storage for a carry-on or hooks to hang a bag? Have 2 - 22" suitcase's. Would it be better to check them in? Not much time in Emeryville to catch the bus to San Fran. Is there time to get checked bags and get the bus? Been watching and it seems as tho it gets in late alot of time.

CA Zepher- roomette storage. Is there under the seat or any overhead storage for a carry-on or hooks to hang a bag? Have 2 - 22" suitcase's. Would it be better to check them in? Not much time in Emeryville to catch the bus to San Fran. Is there time to get checked bags and get the bus? Been watching and it seems as tho it gets in late alot of time.

Less of an issue in a Superliner. If you don't feel like checking you bags, there are communal bag storage areas on the lower level by the exit. This will fit almost everything.

There is minimal in-room storage (you MIGHT be able to store one suitcase on the step to get to the upper level).

Back