Superliner roomette storage

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You should be fine with just a couple of small cases in the roomette. Storage is limited, but depending on how thick your cases are when flat on their back, they should fit under the beds, or not take up too much space in daytime chair mode. There is a step to access the upper bunk, which I use to hold my small cary on size case, and a coat hook which holds my soft backpack, not sure it would be easy to hang a case from it though.
The bus is a dedicated service, it waits for the train no matter how late it runs. I am not sure if checked baggage is automatically transferred to the bus at Emeryville, or you need to do it yourself, but the bus should wait in either case.

I bought my rolling suitcase specifically to store under the bed. It's airline carry on size. When I first 'move in' a roomette, I pretty much empty the bag of all hanging clothing, clean pants, next days' (or two) underwear, socks, bathroom items, etc. The suitcase also has a pouch on the front designed for a laptop, where it is when I'm not on the train. All that remains in the suitcase is dirty laundry (in a zippered pillow case), clean underwear, etc, and extra bathroom supplies as well as batteries. The latter two rarely leave the bag, even between trips.

One caveat, though...there's usually a LOT of dust as well as miscellaneous items left behind by others. As far as I can tell, the only time under the seat gets cleaned is when they do a refurbishment and reupholster everything. Of course, the other option is to simply put everything on the upper bunk and bang my head every time I get out of bed.

Last edited:
What about the carry on's. in a superliner 2I believe we have. It's the CA Zepher leaving Denver. Is there under the seat storage for smaller bags or a hook for a backpack? Thank you for your help.

What about the carry on's. in a superliner 2I believe we have. It's the CA Zepher leaving Denver. Is there under the seat storage for smaller bags or a hook for a backpack? Thank you for your help.
There is no way to really know whether you have a I or II until you see the actual consist. Both types run interchangeably in a national pool (or you are in a transdorm, which are all IIs).

There will be at least one hook, possibly as many as three. You can store under the seat if the bag is small enough to clear the mechanism, I've never tried that, though. It is usually pretty dirty under there, sometimes including grease from the mechanism.

I hang my backpack (my "toy bag") from the hook, stash toiletries in the top shelf of the closet (Is) or in one of the washcloth cubbies (IIs) and put my luggage in the downstairs rack.

Is there metal surfaces i can attach my own magnitized hooks?
There is metal stripping, but most of the walls seem to be either plastic covered (refurbished Is) or carpet and plastic covered (unrefurbished IIs). I wouldn't count on enough metal surface to hold it, but you could give it a shot.

PS, in the II's and on Viewliners with the open "closet" niche I will sometimes put a coat hanger through the top loop on my backpack and hang it up that way.

Can anyone describe more precisely that space? How wide is the "closet"?
So far, guesses are in the 4, 5, 6 or 8 inch range. Wunnerful!

Maybe I'll take a tape measure on my next train trip but that's probably five months away - and I'll probably forget about it by then. A pity we don't have access to builders blueprints for such matters.

So far, guesses are in the 4, 5, 6 or 8 inch range. Wunnerful!

Maybe I'll take a tape measure on my next train trip but that's probably five months away - and I'll probably forget about it by then. A pity we don't have access to builders blueprints for such matters.
Well, it sure as heck isn't 8" wide. 4" or 5" is more like it.

Back