Superliner Sleeper Conveniences

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oreius

OBS Chief
I’ve never ridden in a Superliner Sleeper. Do the rooms have electrical outlets? I’m only familiar with Viewliners, which have a set of two plugs at the vanity. Is there much difference between the Bedrooms and Roomettes? I am aware the Roomettes do not have a sink/potty.

They are very similar in general design to Viewliners. There are power outlets (less though, at least in roomettes). The upper bunk has a LOT less room, feels like a coffin. And there’s really no place to put bags.

Picture

Attachments

• 7362ED43-38F0-47E0-AABA-85B97D617709.jpeg
    7362ED43-38F0-47E0-AABA-85B97D617709.jpeg
    52.3 KB · Views: 23
I’ve never ridden in a Superliner Sleeper. Do the rooms have electrical outlets? I’m only familiar with Viewliners, which have a set of two plugs at the vanity. Is there much difference between the Bedrooms and Roomettes? I am aware the Roomettes do not have a sink/potty.
Superliner Roomettes only have 1 Outlet which is located next to the Window @ tge top of One Seat.( depends on which way the Car is hooked up).

Regular Bedrooms have One Outlet Located on the Sink by the Door to the Hall.

Of course there is much more Room in a Bedroom( Bedroom A is a little Smaller ), the Roomettes are Snug, OK for One, tight for 2!!!
( especially the Upper Bunk which we call "the Coffin", no Window and no headroom)

My parents have a travel adapter in which they can plug 3 USB devices plus another 110V plug. I’ll make sure they get 6-10 foot lightning cables for their phones.

My dad is 74 inches tall. He plans to sleep in the top bunk of their bedroom. Is that bunk big enough for him? I have my own Roomette. My mom is 4’ 11” and she’ll take the bottom bunk. She has bad knees so she cannot climb a ladder.

Is it possible to use the potty with the bunks pulled out? I didn’t have an issue with the Bedroom in the Viewliners…

Is it possible to use the potty with the bunks pulled out? I didn’t have an issue with the Bedroom in the Viewliners…
I do not have a problem accessing the restroom in a Superliner or Viewliner bedroom with the beds down. However, the chair may prevent the restroom door from opening all the way. I am small and have not problem. With the bottom bed down, I have to climb over the bed to access the sink and/or the door to the hallway. It is a tight fit. I am quite flexible so I have no issues, but those with arthritis or mobility issues may have difficulty leaving a bedroom with the bottom bed down (in both Viewliner and Superliner bedrooms) in my opinion.

I do not have a problem accessing the restroom in a Superliner or Viewliner bedroom with the beds down. However, the chair may prevent the restroom door from opening all the way. I am small and have not problem. With the bottom bed down, I have to climb over the bed to access the sink and/or the door to the hallway. It is a tight fit. I am quite flexible so I have no issues, but those with arthritis or mobility issues may have difficulty leaving a bedroom with the bottom bed down (in both Viewliner and Superliner bedrooms) in my opinion.

So what you’re saying is perhaps I should ask the attendant to just lower the top bunk for my Dad? My mom is a short person, she can sleep on the sofa in a daytime configuration. The only thing I’m worried about here is head clearance; I don’t want my mom banging her head when she sits up. She has arthritis.

I think it maybe better if she just sleeps sitting up in the sofa. She is in need of a total shoulder replacement—her left shoulder is bone-on-bone. Trains naturally rock, so her lying down might aggravate that.

I rode the Meteor in a Bedroom just 2 months after I had major spinal surgery. That rocking and shimmying gave me a great deal of back pain so I ended up sleeping in the swivel chair.

I rode the Meteor in a Bedroom just 2 months after I had major spinal surgery. That rocking and shimmying gave me a great deal of back pain so I ended up sleeping in the swivel chair.
Do you know that you can edit your own posts for a period of time? It's not necessary to create a whole new reply if you think of something you forgot to say a couple of minutes after posting.

One more question: My mom is 4 feet 11 inches. If I ask the Attendant to leave the sofa in daytime configuration, will she fit? It would be just like sleeping on the couch at home. Can I also ask for a sheet to put on top of the sofa so she is more comfortable?

This is how I plan to do it for my parents: Have the top bunk lowered and keep the sofa in daytime configuration for mom. Based on what everyone is saying, it will be very hard for her to access the potty with the bed made up. I plan to keep my Roomette in daytime configuration because I am a large person and need room to stand up in case I need to use the facilities overnight. I know it is possible to lower the top bunk anyhow. Would my dad fit better on the top bunk in my Roomette or in the Bedroom upper bunk?

I know I am asking 50+ questions, but this is my parents' first overnight train trip, as well as my first Western overnight trip. I want them to be comfortable and have a ball.

Your mom should fit fine on the sofa, but it may not be very comfortable. With the bed down, she should not have a problem accessing the restroom, but may have a problem getting out the door. The bed comes out very close to the sink and can block the exit door. I sit on the bed to use the sink and I swing my legs around to get out the door. I would be more comfortable with the bed down than in daytime configuration. I am 5'2", average size to thin, in my late 60's, fairly flexible.

There will be a ladder for your dad to access the top bunk. They will want to make sure the ladder does not get in the way for your mother to access the restroom.

The chair can sometimes prevent the restroom door from opening all the way. I have never had a problem. The chair can be compressed against the wall if it is in the way. I like it down and open because I either sit on it or put stuff on it.

There are room configurations that provide the size of the beds in roomettes and bedrooms. I do not know if the upper bunks are the same size. I know they are uncomfortable. The lower bunks in a bedroom are wider.

One more question: My mom is 4 feet 11 inches. If I ask the Attendant to leave the sofa in daytime configuration, will she fit? It would be just like sleeping on the couch at home. Can I also ask for a sheet to put on top of the sofa so she is more comfortable?

This is how I plan to do it for my parents: Have the top bunk lowered and keep the sofa in daytime configuration for mom. Based on what everyone is saying, it will be very hard for her to access the potty with the bed made up. I plan to keep my Roomette in daytime configuration because I am a large person and need room to stand up in case I need to use the facilities overnight. I know it is possible to lower the top bunk anyhow. Would my dad fit better on the top bunk in my Roomette or in the Bedroom upper bunk?

I know I am asking 50+ questions, but this is my parents' first overnight train trip, as well as my first Western overnight trip. I want them to be comfortable and have a ball.
After rethinking, I am not sure it would be practical to keep the sofa in daytime configuration while lowering the top bunk and having your dad sleep there. The mattress for the lower bunk is stored in the top bunk. I am not sure where the mattress would be stored if the top bunk were used and the bottom was not. I know that many use the top bunk in a Viewliner roomette and keep the bottom in daytime configuration, presumably using both mattresses. I do not know if that is possible or practical in a Superliner bedroom. Maybe someone more familiar with using the top bunk in a Superliner can chime in.

Good visualization on the lower bunk mattress, Penny. That hadn't occurred to me, and it would be a real issue. My first thought was that the mattress would go on the floor (where it would be in the way) or the attendant would move it to another room (which would be a nuisance for the attendant). A better solution might be to roll it up and tie or strap it (so it wouldn't unroll) and then store it on the chair. If I were to attempt this solution, I would also tie the rolled mattress to the chair because otherwise it would probably fall off. Gaffer's tape or heavy twine might work.

In response to an earlier comment, I have never had the chair interfere with the door to the toilet. Regarding the roomette, I would not leave it in daytime configuration in case I needed to visit a toilet during the night. While cramped, I (medium-large) am able to stand in the roomette with the lower bunk down and the door closed, and if I were getting up to leave the roomette, I would simply open the door. If I needed to compose myself, I would be comfortable doing that with the door open and the curtain closed.

Superliner Bedroom
Your SCA will work with you!
We always leave the sofa in the daytime configuration which is where my wife sleeps. Sometimes we move the mattress down, sometimes we leave it up above and I get two mattresses! We don't like losing the floor space between the sofa and the sink area by the door.
We leave the upper bunk in the night configuration night and day. Comes in handy for "stuff".
There is no problem with the bathroom door and the single chair in any configuration in a Superliner bedroom.
The Viewliner however is a different story. In Viewliners, we move the chair out of the way, open the bathroom door fully and put the chair back in position and it stays that way. We aren't particularly shy with each other.

Back