Superliner stairs?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

flying_babyb

Train Attendant
So ere on the second floor (upper level?) . how are the stairs designed? are they regular stairs or ship stairs (you know like navy ship). Im just worried cause my mothers balance sucks and we will have luggage to lug up too.

The stairs are steep and narrow, with two 90 degree corners, but there are walls on both sides, and a railing. Any Sleeper Car Attendant (SCA) worth their salt will help you up the stairs. As for luggage, there is a luggage rack just inside the downstairs door that is designed for your large bag(s), and all you need to take up to your roomette is any items you need for the night. There is no space in your roomette for large bags, so it is a good idea to pack a tote or small bag (airplane carry-on size) with your electronics, book, toiletries and change of undies.

If you feel the upstairs room is an issue, you can always try calling Amtrak at 1-800-USA-RAIL, to see if they can switch you to a downstairs roomette or the handicap room (unfortunately, regular bedrooms only exist on the upper floor)..When the automated "Julie" answers, keep repeating "agent" until she gets the message. Just ask if a downstairs room is available, and then if they can "modify" your reservation for a change of rooms. There should be no extra charge to get the room you need.

The stairs are narrow, about 10 steps that are not spiral, but make two turns. Two way traffic is usually not possible. The flooring is of rubber material and the hand rails adequate. Caution is in order. You will want to leave your larger pieces of luggage downstairs by the footifthestaurs

Having toured a few US Navy ships, Amtrak is nothing like those. I remember seeing some personnel demonstrate how to shoot right down by hanging by the railings and not touching the stairs. Navy stairs are more like ladders.

Superliner stairwells are somewhat narrow, with stainless steel handrails and a "dobby" nonslip rubberized surface. The stairs are at about a 45° angle. I found a photo. They're not particularly challenging, but they're not super easy either. I found this photo, which should give a pretty good idea.

California cars are a bit different, but about the same difficulty.

Spent three years on a Tin Can...nothing like Navy stairs...actually called a ladder. My wife with a new hip (4 months) negotiated the Superliner stairs fine last summer. They are steep and narrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you! We have no big luggage, I told the kids (and family) NO to anything bigger than a carryon. So one carry on and one backpack.

Luckily, once you get upstairs, she won't have any need to go back down the stairs unless she wants to get off at the fresh air stops or use the shower. The dining car and lounge car are accessed from the upper level, and there is a bathroom on the upper level as well.

Having toured a few US Navy ships, Amtrak is nothing like those. I remember seeing some personnel demonstrate how to shoot right down by hanging by the railings and not touching the stairs. Navy stairs are more like ladders.

Superliner stairwells are somewhat narrow, with stainless steel handrails and a "dobby" nonslip rubberized surface. The stairs are at about a 45° angle. I found a photo. They're not particularly challenging, but they're not super easy either. I found this photo, which should give a pretty good idea.

California cars are a bit different, but about the same difficulty.
Those exposed toes look very vulnerable.

My elderly dad also has balance issues, and we find the upper level roomettes better because of what Sarah says--you need only climb the stairs once, then you're all set on one level for the duration of the trip.

If I carry my dad's bag upstairs for him, he can manage the stairs easily--the fact that they're so narrow is a plus for anyone with balance problems. Ditto the aisles in the train--although he usually walks with a cane, he finds he doesn't need or want it on the train, since there's always a wall at hand for steadying himself.

I don't remember where you're coming from/going to, but if Red Cap service is available, it'll be a big help getting your party and its baggage to/from the train/station.

My elderly dad also has balance issues, and we find the upper level roomettes better because of what Sarah says--you need only climb the stairs once, then you're all set on one level for the duration of the trip.

If I carry my dad's bag upstairs for him, he can manage the stairs easily--the fact that they're so narrow is a plus for anyone with balance problems. Ditto the aisles in the train--although he usually walks with a cane, he finds he doesn't need or want it on the train, since there's always a wall at hand for steadying himself.

I don't remember where you're coming from/going to, but if Red Cap service is available, it'll be a big help getting your party and its baggage to/from the train/station.
Pretty much the same with my wife...the narrow stairs are helpful to her and she also does not use a cane when walking down the aisle.

As for luggage, there is a luggage rack just inside the downstairs door that is designed for your large bag(s), and all you need to take up to your roomette is any items you need for the night. There is no space in your roomette for large bags, so it is a good idea to pack a tote or small bag (airplane carry-on size) with your electronics, book, toiletries and change of undies.
The roomette is cramped, but I believe the seats have at least 8 inches clearance (it seems to vary a bit) under them, and I stash luggage under there. This does require some planning because the luggage is unavailable when the seats are in the bed configuration. It's another option.

I would say the stairs are challenging...but once you get up there, mostly everything you need is up there. Before my BalanceWear vest, I would wait until there was no rush so I wouldn't feel pressured to try and hurry. I would send my husband ahead of me and just take it one stair at a time. The only reason to come down are for showers and to step out for fresh air....

There is also a narrow closet by the Superliner Roomette door that's about 6 or 7 inches wide but plenty wide for a hang-up garment bag.
Only in Superliner I's and not in II's if I recall correctly. I like the ones without the closet because I can fit my carry on between the seat and the wall in those cars but not in the ones with the closet.

Only in Superliner I's and not in II's if I recall correctly.
Thanks for the correction. It's hard to remember the differences between the various versions when taking the train only every year or so - if i'm lucky (closest station is about a 6 hour drive from home).

Thanks for all the advice! no one will need a shower or fresh air stop so its very nice to know I wont have to go up and down more than once. so to carry ons will fit nicely in our room? We will end up having a whole extra top bunk for storage too (the joys of 3 roomettes and 5 people)

The upper bunk is a nice place to stash stuff if it is not being slept in, but keep in mind that in a SL car they fold out not slide up and down like a VL , so that if an upper is folded down, headroom for anyone sitting underneath may be an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back