superliner standard

• Thread starter Guest_carknocker51
  • Start date
Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Guest_carknocker51

Gonna be on The City of New Orleans a week from today [next Sunday].I've got a standard bedroom for this trip,and I've been assigned room # 9..this room is upper level/next to the main doors to the next car, and above the wheels.I would much rather have a room in the center of the railcar...so is there a chance I can get my room changed when I board ,or I 'm I stuck" with what I got?

Will the attendent expect a tip for this service, or will I be better off waiting till the trips over to tip[for the level of service]provided?

call reservations they will help you out as long as fare hasnt gone up..I've changed rooms twice this month that way..once on the sunset and once on the coast starlight..I always try to get a room downstairs, 13 or 14, those are the quietest rooms on the train...not a constant flow of people walking by your room and close to the shower.

PS if you booked online you wont lose your 25% off, by calling reservations just to change rooms.

Well there is no way to predict what any person might expect or not expect. I personally wouldn't give him or her something at that time, but I certainly would remember their kindness if they do allow you to move. I also wouldn’t get too crazy with extra money in the tip; after all they’ve got to setup your room one way or another. I would probably suggest something in the range of $3 - $5 above and beyond what you would have given otherwise.

One other thought, since you are boarding in Chicago, I would wait to ask your attendant until after they have boarded the rest of the passengers. Don't make them crazy trying to figure out if they have any extra rooms while they are trying to board the rest of your fellow passengers.

Incidentally how do you know that you've got room #9? Do you already have your tickets? I ask only because, if your tickets are not yet printed, then you can call Amtrak and see if they can switch your room at this point. There is no charge to switch if the tickets are not yet printed. Once the tickets are printed then you may be forced to pay a 35-buck service fee for any changes.

Good luck and have a great trip! :) :)

Thanks...good advice Alan,I will board the train and ask the attendent to move me if there is another room empty.If not,the # 9 will work ok,but I'll try to be more carefull next time.The lower rooms sound ok to,but do you get the same view?I guess whats nice about train travel "is", you have options on how & where you travel.. [by what each person likes or wants to spend there $$$$ on!]This one will be fun.... :lol:

I would ask the attendant if there is a no show if you could bump up to that room, they are generally pretty flexible about that sort of thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back