Superliner trains' removal and restoration of cars (2022-2023)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apologies if this doesn’t belong here, but if there’s a problem with staffing at Beech Grove and Inspections/Repairs, is it possible to have CSX or NS drag a bunch of Superliners to Bear or Wilmington to be worked on? From the outside there has been no issue keeping the Amfleet I roster up. Maybe even the Viewliners? It doesn’t seem that Beech Grove will start catching up anytime soon.
It is not just a question of dragging the cars somewhere. You have to drag the corresponding parts chest and tools chest too, which is not something that you do by Tuesday. Also it is not clear that Bear and Wilmington are overstaffed with a bunch of people sitting around doing nothing either.

A significant part of the Viewliner I fleet currently is in Mothballs.

It is not just a question of dragging the cars somewhere. You have to drag the corresponding parts chest and tools chest too, which is not something that you do by Tuesday. Also it is not clear that Bear and Wilmington are overstaffed with a bunch of people sitting around doing nothing either.

A significant part of the Viewliner I fleet currently is in Mothballs.
Bear has been busy updating the Amfleet I's. I've caught a few sets leaving Bear with new trucks and clean, yes clean!, exteriors. Obviously I don't know how the insides looked, though the doors were open.

Bear - and all the east shops - are not devoid of their own staffing shortages. If one compares the Regional and Acela schedule to pre pandemic there are still a number of frequencies missing - and this is not counting reductions for the hell gate project.

I've read through this thread since I have a trip on the Starlight + Builder this July. The roomettes I was assigned by Amtrak are:

1431 - 6
831 - 3
2730 - 8
1131 - 3

My understanding is that the 31 car on the Starlight is relatively unlikely to be dropped, but the 31 car on the EB is more at risk. Should I try to move that into the 30 car?

I've read through this thread since I have a trip on the Starlight + Builder this July. The roomettes I was assigned by Amtrak are:

1431 - 6
831 - 3
2730 - 8
1131 - 3

My understanding is that the 31 car on the Starlight is relatively unlikely to be dropped, but the 31 car on the EB is more at risk. Should I try to move that into the 30 car?
I’ve been on this thread for a while as well. What you said is my understanding.

The 831 car has only been running seasonally (but I don’t think it ran at all last year).

The starlight has been running with a 30 and 31 car at the very least. (Last summer they added a 32 car as well). I wouldn’t worry too much about that one.

Okay, thanks for the confirmation. I went ahead and called Amtrak and was moved to the 830 car without issue. 🤞

Definitely the right move! They are trying to restore the 831 Superliner Sleeper this season, but I‘d be booking in the 830 car. It’s also positioned right next to the Diner with a little bit of more head-end buffer of the 831 car is in the consist - think less horn noise!

Bear - and all the east shops - are not devoid of their own staffing shortages. If one compares the Regional and Acela schedule to pre pandemic there are still a number of frequencies missing - and this is not counting reductions for the hell gate project.

4 of 20 Acela's are being cannibalized. They pay off the bank liens before they do that. Forget about pre-pandemic Acela service until they get some Avelia's to work.

Has anybody heard any updates on possible plans to add the 32 sleeper back to the California Zephyr? I have a reservation that was made back in January in both the 0532 and 0632 in bedrooms in mid-June of this year. I have been consistently checking, and there is no bedroom availability in any other sleeper on either train.

I’ve been on this thread for a while as well. What you said is my understanding.

The 831 car has only been running seasonally (but I don’t think it ran at all last year).

The starlight has been running with a 30 and 31 car at the very least. (Last summer they added a 32 car as well). I wouldn’t worry too much about that one.
The 31 car on the Builder hasn't run in two years. It was supposed to come back last summer, but they pulled it. It was, in fact, the first of the "Surprise!" removal of cars with sold inventory last year.

With the removal of the 32 car on the Zephyr this spring, I will still be sticking to my policy of only booking only base sleepers (should I take an Amtrak sleeper trip, my "big" trip this year will be on VIA both ways), and my advice to others is to do the same.

That's the 30 car for all western trains except the Zephyr where it's the 31.

The Starlight never had a sleeper with sold inventory deliberately pulled, but it is the only Western train that didn't. I do not consider it or any other train to be immune and will continue to consider all non-base sleepers at risk until Amtrak had gone at least a year without pulling this nonsense. That'll be Spring 2024.

Last edited:
Has anybody heard any updates on possible plans to add the 32 sleeper back to the California Zephyr? I have a reservation that was made back in January in both the 0532 and 0632 in bedrooms in mid-June of this year. I have been consistently checking, and there is no bedroom availability in any other sleeper on either train.
Third week of May through early September it is supposed to have a third Superliner Sleeper according to plans that I have read about.
The 31 car on the Builder hasn't run in two years. It was supposed to come back last summer, but they pulled it. It was, in fact, the first of the "Surprise!" removal of cars with sold inventory last year.
It is supposed to come back this summer third week of May, so we should know soon enough how that goes ;)

Last edited:
June 14th through early September it is supposed to have a third Superliner Sleeper according to plans that I have read about.
Well... my trip is scheduled to start on train 5 out of Chicago on June 12 in car 0532. I'm wondering if I should try to contact Amtrak at the Select member phone number or just wait it out and keep trying to rebook in a base car. Does anybody have advice on this?

Well... my trip is scheduled to start on train 5 out of Chicago on June 12 in car 0532. I'm wondering if I should try to contact Amtrak at the Select member phone number or just wait it out and keep trying to rebook in a base car. Does anybody have advice on this?
No harm in calling and verifying that all are on track.

BTW, I posted a wrong date above, corrected since then. It is apparently like the additional Sleeper on the Empire Builder, starting third week of May and not 14th June. That 14 June is for the Coast Starlight to get one more Sleeper.

Well... my trip is scheduled to start on train 5 out of Chicago on Jlune 12 in car 0532. I'm wondering if I should try to contact Amtrak at the Select member phone number or just wait it out and keep tryiwng to rebook in a base car. Does anybody have advice on this?
Can't hurt to call to try and shift and I have absolutely no confidence in Amtrak on this. If you are talking about asking what the chances are the car will be pulled, the agents will not know until it actually happens and will tell you everything is fine, which is the absolute truth based on the information they have.

With the removal of the 32 car on the Zephyr this spring, I will still be sticking to my policy of only booking only base sleepers (should I take an Amtrak sleeper trip, my "big" trip this year will be on VIA both ways), and my advice to others is to do the same.

That's the 30 car for all western trains except the Zephyr where it's the 31.

The Starlight never had a sleeper with sold inventory deliberately pulled, but it is the only Western train that didn't. I do not consider it or any other train to be immune and will continue to consider all non-base sleepers at risk until Amtrak had gone at least a year without pulling this nonsense. That'll be Spring 2024.
The 31 car did run on the builder for part of 2021. We'll see if they bring it back for summer 2023.

Based on when they made adjustments for spring (they gave almost 2 months notice when they made that reduction to the Zephyr), I’d say if your reservation hasn’t been changed yet chances are probably good that it’s fine. We’re getting into May and just before Memorial Day weekend as jis mentioned is usually when they shift to summer consists and earlier on looks I did at arrow availability when they dropped the sleeper for spring seemed to hint that’s the time frame for the sleeper return. If they were going to cut back their summer plan they’d have probably have done it by now. If the car returns in that late May timeline (and I’m sure it’ll come up on here when it’s observed) you’re probably good to go. Usually May summer consist changes will go to September at least. Certainly wouldn’t want to make any promises but it’s looking better. We’re only now less than a few weeks from summer consists.

Has anyone been on a Superliner car that's been refurbished? The refurbishments were promised starting back in 2021 but I haven't seen a single confirmation that any of these cars are out there yet. I rode the Coast Starlight twice last year and none of the cars were refurbished.

Has anyone been on a Superliner car that's been refurbished? The refurbishments were promised starting back in 2021 but I haven't seen a single confirmation that any of these cars are out there yet. I rode the Coast Starlight twice last year and none of the cars were refurbished.

Significant number of Coaches have been refurbished and the program is on going. The Sleeper program is supposed to get going in the second half of this (2023) year. The basic design work is done and awaits implementation in the field. The design work for Viewliner I Sleepers also is ongoing, yet to be completed. (source Larry Chestler's presentation at RPA Spring Meeting) Staffing issues have hampered the program.

I’m pretty sure I’ve seen or read about at least one refurbed sleeper on FB.

A large number of Trans Dorms are in storage. When they come out, they will come out refurbished.

A large number of Superliner Coaches have already been refurbished. Superliner Sleepers, just coming upto Speed, but there are a few completed ones around. AFAIK, Viewliner I Sleepers, except perhaps for a prototype or two, have not been touched yet.

We had 2 bedrooms booked on the Zephyr for 9/18. Also received an email about a sleeper car being removed. Their communication is atrocious as there was not updated reservation information. It wasn't until I called that I discovered that one bedroom had been moved to coach because the other was on a different car. No communication about the amount of the refund. Again had to ask on the call. The agent was rude. For the moment, leaving the reservation as is because my in-laws are coming from the UK for this trip. Anyone ever have any luck picking up a cancellation? I guess I'll be stalking the website in the hopes that I get lucky. Also, does anyone have any insight on seat swaps? I ask because my in-laws will have the room, but by the time of the trip I'll be 17 weeks pregnant. In-laws have said I could have a night in the sleeper and one of them will sit coach. Would the attendant allow that?
It really depends on the car attendant. Since it's family I sort of doubt you'll have trouble provided you make it a request and not a demand. That sleeper car attendant can also assist with getting a table together for meals in the dining car. I hope on this forum all of us understand the pressure on car attendants. Our son was traveling coach and we were in the sleeper car and we were able to eat dinners together on SWC.

If they were going to cut back their summer plan they’d have probably have done it by now.
Well, they didn't last year. The first cuts, on the Builder, happened just a couple weeks before the second sleeper was scheduled to come on.

Hopefully, they learned something after last summer's debacle where the Builder's second sleeper never appeared, the SW Chief's got pulled mid-summer at the height of the season and the CZ's got pulled in early Fall. That certainly looks like they planned well for peak travel season, doesn't it?

Their track record is not good. This late winter and spring, the CZ had its second sleeper, with sold inventory, pulled yet again, albeit with more notice than last summer's clown show.

I regard this summer as a beta test that at least some competence has been restored to equipment planning and that those who manage equipment and those who manage inventory have resumed speaking to each other.

Personally, I don't participate in betas.

I will not book in non-base sleepers until Amtrak has managed to go a full year, including peak seasons, without pulling this nonsense. By my reckoning that'll be early spring 2024. At that point, I'll consider the beta test of their ability to tie their own shoes successfully completed. Not before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back