Superliner trains' removal and restoration of cars (2022-2023)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems that the sleeper cancellation issues are (at least for now) limited to the Superliners. That would indicate that equipment shortages, not OBS shortages, are the major issue. Remember we have deferred maintenance over the COVID period, cars out of service allegedly for refurbishment, and two major derailments where I expect legal will hold the cars out of service until all litigation is resolved.

If management were competent (note the use of the subjective) they would be working with Siemens now on a new sleeping car to put into the production pipeline.
It’s a combination of both. OBS is also tight. Two night routes particularly strain the OBS bases due to the long trips so it’s unsurprising that OBS shortages would affect those routes the most. Dropping a single sleeper off the Zephyr reduces the strain on Chicago significantly for instance as each full sleeper required a crew member to go out and back for the whole two night route every day.

It’s a combination of both. OBS is also tight. Two night routes particularly strain the OBS bases due to the long trips so it’s unsurprising that OBS shortages would affect those routes the most. Dropping a single sleeper off the Zephyr reduces the strain on Chicago significantly for instance as each full sleeper required a crew member to go out and back for the whole two night route every day.
What about Amtrak's only 3-night train, the Texas Eagle? Do the car attendants go all the way, or are they swapped at San Antonio?

I received the dreaded email today. I was in a bedroom in car 330 on 10/4 and have been downgraded to coach. :(
I thought cars that ended in 30 were immune; was your trip with CZ, if so it's 31 that's immune if i recall right.

I thought cars that ended in 30 were immune; was your trip with CZ, if so it's 31 that's immune if i recall right.
My trip is on the Southwest Chief in 330 and 430. I was downgraded to coach on the segment in 330. I thought the first sleeper would be immune. Apparently not. I am on hold to speak to an AGR agent right now. The trip was paid with points. Amtrak has already put some points back into my account, but not enough.

We have seen one report of a person in the 2nd sleeper roomette being moved to roomette in first sleeper, but most of the other downgrades reported seem to be bedrooms. I suppose this is due to less likelihood of bedroom being open in the first sleeper?

My trip is on the Southwest Chief in 330 and 430. I was downgraded to coach on the segment in 330. I thought the first sleeper would be immune. Apparently not. I am on hold to speak to an AGR agent right now. The trip was paid with points. Amtrak has already put some points back into my account, but not enough.
That’s disappointing, particularly as that would mean you miss the Gathering. Wondering why they would cancel your trip in the first sleeper, particularly as the train is still running as of now - only things I can think of is the room itself is unusable for some reason, they need rooms for crew (though I’d think those would be roomettes), or they decided to bump based on something other than what sleeper you’re in.

That’s disappointing, particularly as that would mean you miss the Gathering. Wondering why they would cancel your trip in the first sleeper, particularly as the train is still running as of now - only things I can think of is the room itself is unusable for some reason, they need rooms for crew (though I’d think those would be roomettes), or they decided to bump based on something other than what sleeper you’re in.
I was told by the agent that my sleeper was removed and the only space on the train is in coach. Yes, I will miss the Gathering.

Edit to add that I looked at the website for that date 10/4 and sleepers are sold out and coach is 80% full.

Last edited:
Now this scares the heck out of me; we were already booted from our family bedroom on the CZ departing Oct 11th and the one back on 17Oct. Rebooked on SWC to get to Cali and empire builder to get back....all in 30 cars except for a transition car on SWC, car 340 departing CHI on 13Oct. If the primary cars are being removed that's scary.

Makes you wonder if they are going to run the SWC with just a transdorm and nothing else 🤯

No chance of going on to NYP and riding the LSL to CHI Penny???

Makes you wonder if they are going to run the SWC with just a transdorm and nothing else 🤯
I have a friend who is in a roomette in the same car, same day and he has not received the "email." Maybe only bedroom passengers were bumped or Amtrak has not gotten around to downgrading all passengers. Maybe bedrooms first. I made that reservation 11 months in advance.

Well, Amtrak and the Airlines for sure!🤬
At least with the airlines there's usually options for rerouting that don't add multiple days, and once you're on board the equipment generally works okay (and if it doesn't it's a couple of hours instead of multiple days.) HVAC issues on my last Amtrak trip (in coach) mixed with all the other issues have turned me off from taking long Amtrak trips for now.

Those were my plans
Sorry, my bad! I thought you were bumped on the Cap, not the Chief.🤬

Hope you get all your Points back including your Hotels!😉

I'm on the #422 coming home with a couple of other AUers, and now Wondering if our Rooms are in Jeporday since there's only 1 Sleeper on the Texas Eaglete now

Is this anyway to run a Railroad??🤪

I am done with Amtrak until this mess is straightened out. I’m not going to pay months ahead of time only to have something like this happen. The USA is rapidly becoming a 3rd world country
Some third world countries might beg to differ since they do now run a more reliable railway where reservations don’t vaporize that often and even freight trains don’t fall off the tracks every day. 🤷🏻

Sorry, my bad! I thought you were bumped on the Cap, not the Chief.🤬

Hope you get all your Points back including your Hotels!😉

I'm on the #422 coming home with a couple of other AUers, and now Wondering if our Rooms are in Jeporday since there's only 1 Sleeper on the Texas Eaglete now

Is this anyway to run a Railroad??🤪
True! It's no way to run a railway... it's appalling! There seem to be 'three roots to this evil'

1] the pandemic has impacted the work force... so fewer to service and repair the trains
2] overall deterioration of the tracks and lack of cooperation from freight lines
3] management management management

USANS6Card32Colour.png

Some third world countries might beg to differ since they do now run a more reliable railway where reservations don’t vaporize that often and even freight trains don’t fall off the tracks every day. 🤷🏻
The braintrust that runs Amtrak probably don't see any difference in Coach and Sleeper as long as they get you to your destination. Yeah,being demoted from a sleeper to Coach where you are sitting up for three days and two nights is the same.

Have any Amtrak execs ever been on an overnight train in Coach?

The braintrust that runs Amtrak probably don't see any difference in Coach and Sleeper as long as they get you to your destination. Yeah,being demoted from a sleeper to Coach where you are sitting up for three days and two nights is the same.

Or dined on Amtrak Cafe Cuisine?

Of course not! For those folks there's a special observation lounge car to inspect the system... while feasting on champaign and caviar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back