Superliner trains' removal and restoration of cars (2022-2023)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Per the tracker it appears to be fixed. 6 is on the move south/east of Provo.
Yes... it looks like both 6's are running now. You just gotta wonder how the mis connect disruptions through CHI is effecting the hundreds of passengers with tight schedules and places to be. You also have to wonder how the over flooded res system and customer service center can handle all the needed fixes... further burdening a tired system.

Screen Shot 2022-08-16 at 12.38.26 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-16 at 12.43.48 PM.png

I have a friend who is in a roomette in the same car, same day and he has not received the "email." Maybe only bedroom passengers were bumped or Amtrak has not gotten around to downgrading all passengers. Maybe bedrooms first. I made that reservation 11 months in advance.
The car appears to have been pulled; based on what I am hearing your friend may not get the email until a week or 2 before trip....by then everything will be sold out. Check app to see if it's been changed without even an email.

The car appears to have been pulled; based on what I am hearing your friend may not get the email until a week or 2 before trip....by then everything will be sold out. Check app to see if it's been changed without even an email.
Thanks, I will alert the friends (if they are not reading this thread)

Just out of curiosity, in regard to those whose sleeping car reservations were cancelled, is there any way to possibly avoid this situation by either making your reservations 11 months in advance OR by knowing which sleeping car most likely might be cancelled so as to make your reservations in a different sleeping car on the same train?
I'm trying to get through now regarding my sleeper reservations... on hold over an hour... no doubt because so many are trying to get through as well... due to cancellations and / changes.

Law of diminishing returns...

Did get through to reservations to book my third winter season trip... and was told by an agent who I know from many previous calls, that the situation would improve by Thanksgiving. Don't know anything more than that regarding all the problems; I have three coast to coast sleeper trips during the winter months... December, January, and February. All reservations were just checked and there is no indication that any cars will be removed.

Yup... what they say and what actually happens can vary due to breakdowns, weather, etc. But I choose to be optimistic at this time; and if something does happen, will try to be as malleable as possible... that's all I can do.

My trip is on the Southwest Chief in 330 and 430. I was downgraded to coach on the segment in 330. I thought the first sleeper would be immune. Apparently not. I am on hold to speak to an AGR agent right now. The trip was paid with points. Amtrak has already put some points back into my account, but not enough.
Would the fact that your sleeping car accommodations were paid for using points have anything to do with you being bumped from an “immune” sleeper? (If your accommodations ended up going to someone who paid cash, that would really be an outrage!)

Anyone know when Gardner or Harris is supposed to appear in front of Congress next? Some hard questions need to be asked regarding the long distance trains and answers need to be verified just taken at face value. The system is in utter chaos and getting worse by the day. Like @n3rdg1rl said above I’d also like to know if my Christmas trip is safe.

Would the fact that your sleeping car accommodations were paid for using points have anything to do with you being bumped from an “immune” sleeper? (If your accommodations ended up going to someone who paid cash, that would really be an outrage!)
I was thinking the same thing since a friend who paid with cash for a roomette in the same car has not received an email and his room is still visible on his reservation. I made the reservation 11 months in advance and have Select Executive status and will be very disappointed if I was singled out.

I was thinking the same thing since a friend who paid with cash for a roomette in the same car has not received an email and his room is still visible on his reservation. I made the reservation 11 months in advance and have Select Executive status and will be very disappointed if I was singled out.
Ouch, I too have to wonder if this has happened. They need the base sleeper to meet the ADA requirements.

Was just reassured by reservations that Amtrak will never leave a pax stranded with a misconnect; will find you a place to sleep... and meals... and if downgraded to coach will always provide other options / rescheduling. I believe this to be true and have experienced this care in the past. My biggest concern is having to cancel hotel reservations past the xcl deadline and losing the deposit. Occasionally the hotel will relent but with the big conglomerates you take the loss. That would need to be requested along with inconvenience travel voucher. My other concern is when a sudden disruption enroute necessitates an instant downgrade to coach for the night segment. This has never happened to me and I travel cross country in sleepers 3 or 4 times a year.

To be fair to Amtrak... major delays and disruptions have always resulted in adequate compensation. And in the case of the lost hotel deposit, Amtrak is putting you up and compensating you for that deposit as part of the inconvenience voucher. This has happened to me so many times... and every time I come out ahead.

I personally give the res agents a lot or respect and credit for working tireless hours to deal with all these disruptions!

Was just reassured by reservations that Amtrak will never leave a pax stranded with a misconnect; will find you a place to sleep... and meals... and if downgraded to coach will always provide other options / rescheduling. I believe this to be true and have experienced this care in the past. My biggest concern is having to cancel hotel reservations past the xcl deadline and losing the deposit. Occasionally the hotel will relent but with the big conglomerates you take the loss. That would need to be requested along with inconvenience travel voucher. My other concern is when a sudden disruption enroute necessitates an instant downgrade to coach for the night segment. This has never happened to me and I travel cross country in sleepers 3 or 4 times a year.

To be fair to Amtrak... major delays and disruptions have always resulted in adequate compensation. And in the case of the lost hotel deposit, Amtrak is putting you up and compensating you for that deposit as part of the inconvenience voucher. This has happened to me so many times... and every time I come out ahead.

I personally give the res agents a lot or respect and credit for working tireless hours to deal with all these disruptions!
Amtrak offered me no options other than coach on my 8 train cross country trip where I was downgraded from bedroom to coach on one segment.

Ouch, I too have to wonder if this has happened. They need the base sleeper to meet the ADA requirements.
Some transdorms have H rooms, not all. They vary.

I was thinking @pennyk maybe got a notified earlier due her status, and that friend just hasn't gotten notified. Amtrak has not exactly been timely with notifications throughout this mess. I think that friend may still be at risk.

I find pulling a 30 car very, very disturbing, as if pulling booked sleepers at all weren't disturbing enough.

Amtrak offered me no options other than coach on my 8 train cross country trip where I was downgraded from bedroom to coach on one segment.
You got the ultimate downgrade and have every right to be angry. Undoubtedly they will give you adequate inconvenience compensation and reschedule you. If you are going to the gathering you don't have the flexibility for rescheduling...

RE the res agent... did that agent offer you no more options??? Reroute??? Compensation??? What did they say??? And although it is painful to have to call back [wait wait wait... we all get it!] you should attempt a call back. Did you?

You got the ultimate downgrade and have every right to be angry. Undoubtedly they will give you adequate inconvenience compensation and reschedule you. If you are going to the gathering you don't have the flexibility for rescheduling...

RE the res agent... did that agent offer you no more options??? Reroute??? Compensation??? What did they say??? And although it is painful to have to call back [wait wait wait... we all get it!] you should attempt a call back. Did you?
That would be a Customer Relations issue for me. If I got an agent that could not or would not explore options, I'd ask to be transferred to Customer Relations.

That would be a Customer Relations issue for me. If I got an agent that could not or would not explore options, I'd ask to be transferred to Customer Relations.
Yes... but sometimes it is easier to just call back. Especially with Exec Plus status... an 8 segment trip... and still a few months away... there should be many opportunities for a justified routing change; especially when one segment has been downgraded from top sleeper accommodation bedroom to coach seat on an overnight segment.

Yes... but sometimes it is easier to just call back. Especially with Exec Plus status... an 8 segment trip... and still a few months away... there should be many opportunities for a justified routing change; especially when one segment has been downgraded from top sleeper accommodation bedroom to coach seat on an overnight segment.
Yes, but there is something to be said for speaking to Customer Relations while the reservation is still somewhat in limbo, before they can lock down a downgrade or especially a cancellation. Once a cancellation is processed Customer Relations likely has fewer options like booking an alternative date at the same price than they would with an active reservation still open.

The biggest problem is that the "Options" are either LD Trains where the Sleepers are "Sold OUT", or 3 times a Week Trains that means you are stranded for 2 days awaiting Connections!

This is especially True with the LD Trains that originate inExpense! which is the only place you can connect going East or West, unless you want to have layovers in New Orleans or Washington or New York @ your expense!

The biggest problem is that the "Options" are either LD Trains where the Sleepers are "Sold OUT", or 3 times a Week Trains that means you are stranded for 2 days awaiting Connections!

This is especially True with the LD Trains that originate inExpense! which is the only place you can connect going East or West, unless you want to have layovers in New Orleans or Washington or New York @ your expense!
True. My reservation had already been revised when my 10/2 trip on the Meteor (with connection to LSL on 10/3) was canceled since the Meteor is not scheduled to return until 10/3. Since I had to switch to the Star, I had to go a day earlier since the Star does not connect with the LSL. Thus, I had to spend the night in NYC for about $300 (or the equivalent in points). I was willing to do that, but am not willing to travel 2 nights in coach. Changing the dates would not work since I was planning to attend the Gathering arriving in SAN on 10/6. My points have been restored and am thinking about a short trip to NYC (maybe with my sister).

It would be easier to trouble shoot if the exact itinerary was known. I remember an itinerary going through CHI to the EB, then the Cascades back to EUG. Since the EB got cancelled at the last minute, was able to get the SWC to LA then CS to EUG and since the H room was not available, they put me in a bedroom... so depending on the itinerary and some flexibility with timing, other options can materialize.

That's not an unprecedented approach for some airlines or hotel chains. Those who book with miles or points are likely to receive less consideration than those who pay cash. Only time will tell if your friend is also bumped and the car has actually been removed.

True. My reservation had already been revised when my 10/2 trip on the Meteor (with connection to LSL on 10/3) was canceled since the Meteor is not scheduled to return until 10/3. Since I had to switch to the Star, I had to go a day earlier since the Star does not connect with the LSL. Thus, I had to spend the night in NYC for about $300 (or the equivalent in points). I was willing to do that, but am not willing to travel 2 nights in coach. Changing the dates would not work since I was planning to attend the Gathering arriving in SAN on 10/6. My points have been restored and am thinking about a short trip to NYC (maybe with my sister).
You could have connected with the CL in WAS? Sleepers all the way through although maybe not your choice of trains. And with the downgrade to coach on one of the segments you may have had leverage to get this itinerary at no added cost. True you would have arrived on the 7th... but sleepers all the way through. But would have required some flexibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back