Superliner trains' removal and restoration of cars (2022-2023)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to get through now regarding my sleeper reservations... on hold over an hour... no doubt because so many are trying to get through as well... due to cancellations and / changes.

Law of diminishing returns...
Took me about 2.5 hrs to redo our entire trip over the phone. The agent that helped us was named Isabelle and she was very nice!

I don't know if this is any help or even pertinent, but I watched the 5 go through Truckee CA on a webcam a bit earlier today, and the consist appears to be the standard one. The train was about five hours late.

148 engine
74 engine
Baggage car
Transdorm (I think; looks very similar to a sleeper)
Sleeper
Sleeper
Dining Car
Sightseeing Lounge/Cafe
Coach
Coach

I'm taking the 5 from DEN to EMY this Saturday so I hope they have the same consist (we're in the 531 sleeper) and all the track issues have been repaired.

So many times I have been so frustrated... yet leave myself open for options when itinerary problems pop up or close up... knowing that necessitated changes won't always be my first preference. But if there is a breakdown and/or a fail, one must look for what options are available and then politely ask for alternatives and enough compensation to bring one up to a level of satisfaction.

Whoah's me... when I travel on Amtrak I travel with an open mind and schedule the trip with flexibility attitude. It's the journey that's the destination cause I know the realities of Amtrak.

Personal understanding is that today LD and medium haul has become more of a destination in itself than an efficient travel venue... with the big big exception being the NEC and CALI corridors!

So this is my IMHO!

I have a friend who is in a roomette in the same car, same day and he has not received the "email." Maybe only bedroom passengers were bumped or Amtrak has not gotten around to downgrading all passengers. Maybe bedrooms first. I made that reservation 11 months in advance.
I spoke to one friend who is in a roomette in the 330 car. He phoned Amtrak and the agent put him on hold for a while to check into the status of his reservation. He was told that his reservation in a roomette is fine and has not been cancelled.. He was further informed that only the passengers in bedrooms in that car were downgraded. Sure does not sound equitable to me. The passengers who paid the most for their reservations are getting downgraded.

I spoke to one friend who is in a roomette in the 330 car. He phoned Amtrak and the agent put him on hold for a while to check into the status of his reservation. He was told that his reservation in a roomette is fine and has not been cancelled.. He was further informed that only the passengers in bedrooms in that car were downgraded. Sure does not sound equitable to me. The passengers who paid the most for their reservations are getting downgraded.
Same car, same trip? Why bedrooms and not roomettes? If his reservation is "fine," does that mean they have not switched him from the car? I don't understand what's happening.

I booked my Roomette in the 330 car using points and so far it seems to be fine. In any case I am not going to worry about it while in India. When I get back in two weeks if necessary I will cancel it and get an air ticket using different set of points.

That certainly doesn't sound fair, equitable, or right. I just spoke to an agent regarding your general situation [of course without any mention of AU or you or any person in particular... but for sure I have been in a similar dilemma myself. If willing to take a different routing with minor date change can complete such a trip... perhaps with appropriate compensation and/or some kind of inconvenience voucher. Sorry we can't connect better... but I've come out ahead in similar dilemmas every single time over the last few decades.

While you have every right to be angry, you can take steps to bring back your trip to the gathering with compensation... and ultimately come out ahead. Can't blame you for your frustration and wish you well.

Insanity!

Noting for information purposes, we were booked in car 532 for 08-29-22. On 08-06-22, they moved us to car 540 trans dorm. So, either the 532 got removed for the 08-29-22 run, or, they started canceling people for 09-01-22 run and people were madly rebooking back into August on the 6th and that’s how we got bumped. We are only going one state over on train 5.

i originally wanted coach for that leg, but booked roomette only because of mask requirements. After the mask requirements ended, the thought was well, may as well just stay in roomette for the traditional dining experience.
I am not sure how anyone could rebook into sleepers back into Aug as most all days thru Sept sleepers are sold out when I check? Actually several days are completely sold out coach and sleepers.

Something is fishy here. My suspicion is they are running a transdorm as the 30 and cut the standard sleeper. That would explain only bedroom pax getting cut. Do those of you in roomettes have the same room numbers?
Usually the transdorm is a 40 car, at least when I have rode Zephry. Last year they bumped me in the 30 car, but did get in the 31 car. Sometimes I will call and request a room in the dorm car, but usually the agent will have get their supervisor as it is only used for overflow and supervisor has to override it. If you want to be on a certain side of the train you can do this as the dorm car will only run one direction as the front has the steps down to the baggage car in front of it. Even number roomettes are on one side and odd numbered across the hall altho I've forgotten which is on the left and right.

Something is fishy here. My suspicion is they are running a transdorm as the 30 and cut the standard sleeper. That would explain only bedroom pax getting cut. Do those of you in roomettes have the same room numbers?
apparently at least one of them has the same room number. The agent to whom I spoke said car 330 was removed. The agent to whom my friend spoke (after speaking to a supervisor) after 6 hours after my conversation informed my friend the 330 was not removed and his reservation for his roomette in that car with the same room number was still valid.

Usually the transdorm is a 40 car, at least when I have rode Zephry. Last year they bumped me in the 30 car, but did get in the 31 car. Sometimes I will call and request a room in the dorm car, but usually the agent will have get their supervisor as it is only used for overflow and supervisor has to override it. If you want to be on a certain side of the train you can do this as the dorm car will only run one direction as the front has the steps down to the baggage car in front of it. Even number roomettes are on one side and odd numbered across the hall altho I've forgotten which is on the left and right.
Yeah, I am well aware the transdorm ordinarily runs as the 40 car line on the SW Chief. However, running a transdorm under the 30 car line is about the only equipment-based explanation for people in bedrooms getting booted out if their rooms "because the sleeper was cut" while those in roomettes in the 30 car line on the same departure retain their accommodations.

The only other plausible explanation to me is Amtrak has decided to reallocate the space for some higher status individual.

I do not find it plausible that Amtrak knows what precisely what car will be serving as 330 many weeks in advance and that the bedroom is bad ordered and will remain so.

Finally, while the transdorm running in the 40 car line is the most common, it is not universal. The transdorm on the Builder is the 32 car line.

Has Amtrak put out any kind of statement about this? Over the long haul, this must be affecting hundreds of passengers.
No, it's all been pretty quiet. RPA is now trying to gather information through surveys to be able to call them out on it.

Hoping they gather enough information get the House and Senate Transportation Committes to crucify Gardner in hearings.

My trip is planned as a roundtrip on the CS from Olympia to Sacramento, CZ to Galesburg, SWC to LAX and back to Olympia with no overnights.
I'm familiar with car numbers on the CS but need feedback on CZ 640 and SWC330.

There ought to be accountability here. Too many people being affected. If there’s an explanation, let’s have it.
RPA is starting to try, trying to survey those affected to gather quantitative data.

Hopefully enough to to screw Coscia and Gardner under before Congress...

RPA is starting to try, trying to survey those affected to gather quantitative data.

Hopefully enough to to screw Coscia and Gardner under before Congress...
One way to make the punishment fit the crime (and provide the rest of us with a source of innocent merriment) would be to force those responsible for this fiasco to take a long-distance train trip, traveling both ways in coach .

Perfect! Excellent! Outstanding! Hits that nail right on its head!

The account is a 'right on' reflection of all the frustration expressed on AU re downgrades from sleeper to coach with no warnings or little opportunities... while the top brass were in absolute bliss with huge pay bonuses!

But also extending sympathetic appreciation to all the front line workers and res agents who were so adversely affected with huge work loads to handle endless problems... and with comparatively low pay.

Sure hope Congress is listening and ready to infuse more appropriated funding... as well as make working conditions and pay attractive enough to bring in Amtrak employees motivated towards a higher level of customer service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back