Superliner trains' removal and restoration of cars (2022-2023)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be in the 532 car on 9/30. Haven't seen any emails altering that yet, & (fingers crossed) hope I don't see any.
Check the reservation on the app. It'll lose the QR code if they pull the car in the reservations system and will likely be noticable before a notification is sent to you if you check regularly.

If the QR code is still there, the car is still in the reservations system. That doesn't mean it'll stay there, though.

If I were you, I'd call and see if you can get moved to the 31 car anyway.

Reports are 32 car is removed off the CZ this time it’s indefinitely gone through the summer 23 at least. Downgrade emails are going out.
Reports from whom? I saw a reliable source on FB say they're currently expected to be removed March to or through May.

Reactions: jis
Reports from whom? I saw a reliable source on FB say they're currently expected to be removed March to or through May.
Honestly, actions speak louder than words, and actions reveal that anything but the base sleepers are a risky proposition for the foreseeable future.

Amtrak may intend to bring the 32 car back in May, but they obviously are unable to effectively plan equipment allocation and maintenence. This is the second year they've proven unable to effectively plan and meet their commitments. So, assuming that FB source is correct and they intend to return the 32 in May, that doesn't mean they'll actually be able to do it. They've pretty conclusively proven their lack of ability and competence the last couple of years, intentions notwithstanding.

Honestly, actions speak louder than words, and actions reveal that anything but the base sleepers are a risky proposition for the foreseeable future.

Amtrak may intend to bring the 32 car back in May, but they obviously are unable to effectively plan equipment allocation and maintenence. This is the second year they've proven unable to effectively plan and meet their commitments. So, assuming that FB source is correct and they intend to return the 32 in May, that doesn't mean they'll actually be able to do it. They've pretty conclusively proven their lack of ability and competence the last couple of years, intentions notwithstanding.
Nevertheless, if there have been conflicting reports on plans to return the car in May vs. no plans at this time for its return, it would be nice to know from whence those reports are coming.

The selling of sleeping car accommodations when it was known in advance that they couldn’t be provided is truly reprehensible. Even more reprehensible was the burden this policy placed on those Amtrak employees who had to deal directly with the frustrated, irate customers who'd had their reservations yanked out from under them. It will probably be years before the public’s trust in Amtrak will be fully restored.
<<<Even more reprehensible was the burden this policy placed on those Amtrak employees who had to deal directly with the frustrated, irate customers who'd had their reservations yanked out from under them. >>>

Eric - you are 100% correct. I have a trip on #5 in May - and when I purchased the trip a couple of months ago - I was placed in RM 7 of the 532 car.

However, after reading numerous threads here (and on the CZ FB page) about the removal of the 32 car (esp after 1-May), I reached out today to AMTRAK and the CSR was extremely helpful - and stated pretty much the same thing that you did - - that he and his CSR team feel very poorly about having to discuss consist updates/car removals with paying customers and he talked with me for about 2-3 minutes regarding the situation. He is very frustrated with Sr Leadership that sell rooms, without certainty that the car would be available on the day of travel.

In the end, he was able to put me in the TRANSDORM (540 car)---Room 22....which, honestly, I prefer.....normally a cleaner car, less foot traffic and closer to the whistle....I actually enjoy the whistle on the journey. I am pretty certain the 40 car will be in the consist on the day of my journey...lol.

He did state that the car removal notifications are probably going to continue in the near term, he could not provide any information regarding the consist consistency returning.

John

This question may be a bit on a side track, but does anyone else find the temperature in the sleeping cars uncomfortable? I have the Accessible Bedroom on the Zephyr and it is always so cold. At night I can have two blankets and be reasonably warm, but during the day, it is just too cold to be comfortable. I'm heading to SLC in 2 weeks, and I'm taking my electric throw. (Lightweight blanket)

I love this trip and I think this will be my 30th in about 10 years, the scenery is great, I like the staff and the food is really good....but the room temperature leaves a lot to be desired!!

This question may be a bit on a side track, but does anyone else find the temperature in the sleeping cars uncomfortable? I have the Accessible Bedroom on the Zephyr and it is always so cold. At night I can have two blankets and be reasonably warm, but during the day, it is just too cold to be comfortable. I'm heading to SLC in 2 weeks, and I'm taking my electric throw. (Lightweight blanket)

I love this trip and I think this will be my 30th in about 10 years, the scenery is great, I like the staff and the food is really good....but the room temperature leaves a lot to be desired!!
On my trips the first week of November the roomettes on the Eagle (Dallas to Chicago), Zephyr, Coast Starlight and the second and third day of the Eagle from LA to Dallas were unbearably hot. The first night of the LA to Dallas Eagle was the only time it was less than 80F it felt like.

Having had to forgo our 2022 trip when Amtrak wasn’t able to honor our second sleeper SWC bedroom reservations, we now know to make our reservations far enough in advance to be sure of obtaining bedrooms in the first or “base” sleeper. We used to make and pay for our reservations 6 months in advance from when we planned to travel. From now on we plan to make them 11 months in advance!

Having had to forgo our 2022 trip when Amtrak wasn’t able to honor our second sleeper SWC bedroom reservations, we now know to make our reservations far enough in advance to be sure of obtaining bedrooms in the first or “base” sleeper. We used to make and pay for our reservations 6 months in advance from when we planned to travel. From now on we plan to make them 11 months in advance!
But of course, you'll monitor the Buckets and "Modify " your Rez when Lower Bucket Fares come along right?( usually around 6 months out)

But of course, you'll monitor the Buckets and "Modify " your Rez when Lower Bucket Fares come along right?( usually around 6 months out)
Our primary concern is obtaining reservations that we can rely upon rather than trying to save a few bucks. Besides, making and paying for reservations far enough in advance is almost certain to protect us from any fare increases that occur after our reservations are made.

Am going to book a sleeper on the Builder for October but will do it by phone through Guest Rewards in order to get the 730 car.
I have always booked sleepers by phone in any case, since I have always been picky about location. Getting in the base sleeper is just one more criteria (although a harder requirement than my other preferences).

Is Amtrak currently selling bedrooms in the second sleepers? If so, will these second sleepers be available or will we see a situation such as occurred last year?
Yes they are and it just happened again with the CZ this spring.

Personally, I will not book other than a "base" sleeper until there have no occurrences of this for a year. My clock for that just reset from October 2023 to May 2024.

Based on your experience, how far in advance should a person make their reservations to be assured of obtaining a bedroom in a "base" sleeper?
Well, as soon as you know if price is no object However, I am still booking based on price, and so in the 5 month-ish time frame personally.

The algorithm they use to choose the next roomette to present for sale is clearly not based on fill one car and move on to the next. It seems to distribute customers between available cars right from the start. So, while booking early maximizes the chances of a desirable room being obtainable,booking later does directly correlate to a given car being booked up and the other car open. They sales should be relatively evenly distributed between cars. Of course, this assumes most people accept the initial assignment and don't know to request the car line which is a given train's "base".

Last edited:
Well, as soon as you know if price is no object However, I am still booking based on price, and so in the 5 month-ish time frame personally.

The algorithm they use to choose the next roomette to present for sale is clearly not based on fill one car and move on to the next. It seems to distribute customers between available cars right from the start. So, while booking early maximizes the chances of a desirable room being obtainable,booking later does directly correlate to a given car being booked up and the other car open. They sales should be relatively evenly distributed between cars. Of course, this assumes most people accept the initial assignment and don't know to request the car line which is a given train's "base".
If Arrow tries to allocate space evenly, I wonder whether it backfills to even things out after someone changes cars or cancels, or just blindly continues with "one here, one there, ..."

Your explanation of how sleeping car accommodations are sold was most enlightening, particularly when you take into consideration that, apparently, there is still no guarantee that second sleepers will even be available. But, as you pointed out, the average citizen won’t know enough to insist on first sleeper accommodations or to question being assigned to a second sleeper which might not even be there when it comes time for them to travel. (Pity the poor Amtrak employees who will have to deal with these irate customers later on. To subject your hardworking employees to this type of abuse is downright criminal on the part of upper management.)

Last edited:
Your explanation of how sleeping car accommodations are sold was most enlightening, particularly when you take into consideration that, apparently, there is still no guarantee that second sleepers will even be available. But, as you pointed out, the average citizen won’t know enough to insist on first sleeper accommodations or to question being assigned to a second sleeper which might not even be there when it comes time for them to travel. (Pity the poor Amtrak employees who will have to deal with these irate customers later on. To subject your hardworking employees to this type of abuse is downright criminal on the part of upper management.)
Agreed. If I had not read these posts I would still be in the car that would be removed. I made reservations on line 5 months out and was on the 731/831. I called and they switched me to the base cars. I would use the web site for information only, then hope you get Tess on the phone!!

Based on your experience, how far in advance should a person make their reservations to be assured of obtaining a bedroom in a "base" sleeper?
earlier is always better if you want car/room choice. This issue is really more about longer term reservations. If you were booking for say, tomorrow, you don’t really have to worry about requesting a specific sleeper - the winter consist has been set and they aren’t just dropping the car on random days it’s basically a matter of car availability not meeting planned consists for an upcoming seasonal period. And at least this time they did it with significant notice so it probably avoided a lot of coach downgrades (yes there were some on the busier days) and those that were had more time than two weeks to adjust their plans. Most of the days showed sleepers still available so on most days it was likely car reassignments and some bedroom downgrades to roomette which for some is probably less of a show stopper (but of course not all.) Obviously acceptability is this not happening at all and they really should be more pessimistic about future bookings and avoid downgrades while there are still car issues but if they think they’re at risk of being under plan I’d rather see them pull the trigger early and give two months notice rather than two weeks.

Last edited:
Is there any particular page that identifies what the base sleepers are for all the trains? I found the page that identifies the starting numbers for the sleepers, but I'm not sure if each train runs with 1, 2, or 3 sleepers as base.

I have a trip on the CZ on 3/27 from SAC to CHI in a roomette in the transitional sleeper 640 (so base). Was hoping for a sleeper, but sold out.
Then the CL to WAS on 3/29 in a bedroom in 3001. I know 3000 is a base car, but is 3001 too?
Then I have a roomette on the Silver Meteor from PHL to Kissimmee on 4/1 but in car 9712. I recognize this is a Superliner thread, but I couldn't find a similar thread for Viewliners. Is the 12 car generally safe here?

Thanks!

Is there any particular page that identifies what the base sleepers are for all the trains? I found the page that identifies the starting numbers for the sleepers, but I'm not sure if each train runs with 1, 2, or 3 sleepers as base.

I have a trip on the CZ on 3/27 from SAC to CHI in a roomette in the transitional sleeper 640 (so base). Was hoping for a sleeper, but sold out.
Then the CL to WAS on 3/29 in a bedroom in 3001. I know 3000 is a base car, but is 3001 too?
Then I have a roomette on the Silver Meteor from PHL to Kissimmee on 4/1 but in car 9712. I recognize this is a Superliner thread, but I couldn't find a similar thread for Viewliners. Is the 12 car generally safe here?

Thanks!
The Silvers have been running with their standard number of sleepers, so that one should be safe.

Apologies if this doesn’t belong here, but if there’s a problem with staffing at Beech Grove and Inspections/Repairs, is it possible to have CSX or NS drag a bunch of Superliners to Bear or Wilmington to be worked on? From the outside there has been no issue keeping the Amfleet I roster up. Maybe even the Viewliners? It doesn’t seem that Beech Grove will start catching up anytime soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back