Superliner Upper Bunk Solution?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know there are many of you who have complained about the coffin-like claustrophobic feeling of the upper bed in the Superliner roomette. I have ridden in Viewliner roomettes quite a bit lately but I haven't ridden in a Superliner in years so I don't recall the experience. I was wondering if the solution could be retrofitting the existing cars (if possible to be rebuilt this way) or designing new equipment with sightseer lounge upper windows. Looking at these pictures, the confining space might actually be turned into a really cool bed-under-glass-dome experience. At the very least it looks like this would certainly allow the most headroom possible.

This may be wishful thinking but if possible I think this would make a not-so-pleasant situation truly transformable.

Lounge car.jpg

Compare to this:

lie-in-bed.jpg

Last edited:
I agree with joelkfla's comment, I don't think it would be worth it. And I don't think the car will look good from the exterior either.

Do you really want the overhead lights at each station and yard shining directly into your eyes? I think putting window shades into curved tracks at that angle is just asking for maintenance problems.

When I ride in a Viewliner I usually leave the curtains open. It's pretty similar I would think. I really enjoy the unique experience and have no problem sleeping. It's pretty easy to simply turn away if there just happens to be a bright light coming in for a minute or two.

my concern, especially with a retrofit job, would be leaks when traveling through heavy rain

How often are there leaks in the SSL?
But nothing was retrofitted in SSLs. They were built that way. @fillyjonk 's concern is with retrofitting things. Actually I am not even sure whether the original buff strength tests will generally remain valid or not. A retrofit in the existing cars may be more involved than it seems in the first blush.

But nothing was retrofitted in SSLs. They were built that way. @fillyjonk 's concern is with retrofitting things. Actually I am not even sure whether the original buff strength tests will generally remain valid or not. A retrofit in the existing cars may be more involved than it seems in the first blush.
The best comparison is a vehicle sunroof. Those of us who are old enough to remember when not every vehicle was available with a factory sunroof, also recall people adding aftermarket ones. It wasn't a question of if they would leak, but rather when.

Okay, true

Hey, I'm somewhat claustrophobic, but there's just not enough headroom up there. They tried to wedge four stacked bunks into a car that's nowhere close to twice as tall as a two-bunk Viewliner.

Hey, I'm somewhat claustrophobic, but there's just not enough headroom up there. They tried to wedge four stacked bunks into a car that's nowhere close to twice as tall as a two-bunk Viewliner.
The Superliners came before the Viewliners, so they were probably happy the Viewliners had a lot of room.

I personally don't mind it.

I only take Roomettes if I'm alone, and I often sleep in the upper bunk. Especially on two-night trips, I like to keep the upper bunk set up for sleeping and the lower area set up for sitting/reading/writing/photography.

Basically I don't feel claustrophobic at all in the upper bunk, and the train rocks me to sleep!

I have always slept in the upper bunk when I travel with Hubby, until the return leg of our last trip. I'm small, so the lack of space doesn't bother me (I can even manage to get dressed and undressed up there - it's kind of like trying to dress in the sleeping bag while camping). I find the mattress to be kind of thin, but not too bad. The main thing that bothers me is that I can't see out the window, so I have no idea where we are or what time it is when the train stops.

On our last trip, I jokingly said (more than once) that I always got to sleep in "the time-out room." Hubby took that as criticism, and insisted that HE was going to sleep in the upper bunk on the return leg. No amount of conciliation would change his mind, so at bedtime he hoisted his 6'1" body up there and crammed himself into the available space. When he had to come down to use the restroom in the night, it was a major operation involving turning on the lights and figuring out where to place his feet. By the end of our two day trip, he was kind of quiet and moved like he was stiff and sore. He didn't look like he had slept very well. Somehow, I don't think I'll get any argument next time when I assume I'm sleeping up there, but I will also be careful not to make him look even a teeny bit selfish in conversation. Because he's not.

So, while I agree with those above who say that there's no way to modify existing cars to make the space less claustrophobic (I truly wish there was...), I also don't think it's reasonable for most people to try and sleep up there. You have to be either small and nimble (like me), or able and willing to sleep without much movement in a space that is pretty confined. You also have to be OK with sensory deprivation.

Last edited:
Glad I normally travel alone. When my wife is with me I normally take the upper bunk in a Superliner roomette. I find it very claustrophobic and it's a major ordeal when I have to use the bathroom overnight,and I usually do.

Glad I normally travel alone. When my wife is with me I normally take the upper bunk in a Superliner roomette. I find it very claustrophobic and it's a major ordeal when I have to use the bathroom overnight,and I usually do.
Ditto! It's why I prefer a Viewliner, I sleep up top on them even when by myself!

The main thing that bothers me is that I can't see out the window, so I have no idea where we are or what time it is when the train stops.

I agree with your thought. Won't have to be concerned about that in the future, though. Not as spry and flexible as I once was; trying to get to/from an upper berth would be a recipe for disaster for me now.

Traveling solo I always sleep in the upper bunk in a Viewliner and the lower bunk in a Superliner. Prefer the Viewliner because I can use the lower area as my personal "living room" complete with a toilet! I'll miss that aspect in the VL II's.

I have always slept in the upper bunk when I travel with Hubby, until the return leg of our last trip. I'm small, so the lack of space doesn't bother me (I can even manage to get dressed and undressed up there - it's kind of like trying to dress in the sleeping bag while camping). I find the mattress to be kind of thin, but not too bad. The main thing that bothers me is that I can't see out the window, so I have no idea where we are or what time it is when the train stops.

On our last trip, I jokingly said (more than once) that I always got to sleep in "the time-out room." Hubby took that as criticism, and insisted that HE was going to sleep in the upper bunk on the return leg. No amount of conciliation would change his mind, so at bedtime he hoisted his 6'1" body up there and crammed himself into the available space. When he had to come down to use the restroom in the night, it was a major operation involving turning on the lights and figuring out where to place his feet. By the end of our two day trip, he was kind of quiet and moved like he was stiff and sore. He didn't look like he had slept very well. Somehow, I don't think I'll get any argument next time when I assume I'm sleeping up there, but I will also be careful not to make him look even a teeny bit selfish in conversation. Because he's not.

So, while I agree with those above who say that there's no way to modify existing cars to make the space less claustrophobic (I truly wish there was...), I also don't think it's reasonable for most people to try and sleep up there. You have to be either small and nimble (like me), or able and willing to sleep without much movement in a space that is pretty confined. You also have to be OK with sensory deprivation.
One has to be OK with getting the short end of the stick. I’m capable of getting up and down, fitting in the torpedo tube size bunk with no view. But I’m getting screwed out of enjoying seeing whatever sights that are available at night. I don’t complain to my wife, I’m just letting y’all know what it’s like.

Last edited:
You have to be OK with getting the short end of the stick. .... I don’t complain to my wife, I’m just letting y’all know what it’s like.

Oh, that is absolutely the source of my comments about the "time-out room." But they accomplished what I wouldn't admit to wanting: they made Hubby feel bad about always getting the room-with-a-view, and he proved to me that he was more willing to be physically uncomfortable than to tolerate being made to feel bad. So I got the lower bunk, with a side of guilt trip.

It's not like I don't occasionally travel alone to see my sister, and get my turn with the whatever bunk I choose (lower in the Superliner, upper in the Viewliner).

Back