Superliner upper bunk

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lonnie

Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
I love sleeping, napping, reading, and looking out the window in the upper bunk of the Viewliner. I'm agile and moderately strong so getting into and out of it is a breeze. The placement of light and wall pocket are correct: at the far end from where you climb in.

The Superliner upper bunk is a different matter. I can sleep there, although I miss that particular joy one gets when looking out at Quantico from the Viewliner upper, all snuggled up, in the altogether, under blankets. But the setup in the Superliner is backwards. I found it impossible to head into the coffin (safety straps in place) *and* turn around so that my head was at the end near the steps where they have placed the light and the wall pocket. I can't imagine having to do that turn to get out of it in the dark while half asleep and the train is rocking. Are you supposed to go up and down the steps head down? 🙄 Is there a video anywhere of someone successfully getting into sleeping position with head at the end where the steps are?

Superliner Bedroom: I sleep with my feet towads the ladder (window). Feet first when going descending...take your time.
Sometimes I have my back to the ladder, sometimes facing it. Depends how I get into position maneuvering around the bunk!
Superliner Roomette, we don't do that for an overnight.

It was some time in the last millennium that I slept in the upper in a Roomette, and I don't remember the exact placement of the pocket and light. But in a Bedroom, I always sleep with my feet at the ladder end so I don't have to try to turn around in the bunk. I untuck the sheet and push it off to the side before I get into the bunk.

The easiest way I have found is to go up the steps and go to the right so that your head is further from the steps and your feet are closer to the steps. I think I also leave the straps down until I get up there. As you note this leaves the light at the wrong end but this method involves less gymnastics so I disregard the light.

This is the method shown to me by Pinky, a veteran attendant on the SWC, and it has worked very well.

The easiest way I have found is to go up the steps and go to the right so that your head is further from the steps and your feet are closer to the steps. I think I also leave the straps down until I get up there. As you note this leaves the light at the wrong end but this method involves less gymnastics so I disregard the light.

This is the method shown to me by Pinky, a veteran attendant on the SWC, and it has worked very well.
This is what I ended up doing, but it meant completely remaking the bed, too. What was the original designer thinking? It's not that way in the Viewliner.

I had Pinky on a SWC a number of years ago. She was the best.

Superliner roomette, I sleep head on the ladder end. I think that’s the way the bed has always been made up. Disconnect the straps before entering or bailing out.
I tried connecting and disconnecting straps while up there but found the contortion needed to hook/unhook the one furthest from the ladder to be impossible due to lack of head room. I could do it seated with legs dangling over the ladder, but then couldn't get my legs past the straps. Maybe if I only do the far one, then bring in legs, then the near one... But what a lot of effort in the middle of the night!

Well I can see this will give me and hubby hours of fun figuring out which yoga poses, in what sequence, make it possible to sleep with head the way the bed is made up! 🤣

This is what I ended up doing, but it meant completely remaking the bed, too. What was the original designer thinking? It's not that way in the Viewliner.
I think you have to be a little proactive and advise the attendant how you would like the bed made up so you don't end up having to remake it.

I didn't think I was claustrophobic till I met the Superliner roomette upper bunk. I slept in it on one trip but vowed never to do it again. The Superliner bedroom upper has a wider bunk, but otherwise it's not much better. My son thought they were great fun as a pre-teen and teenager, but I don't recommend the Superliner uppers for anyone over 25.

I love the Viewliner upper, however. Being able to sit up in bed makes all the difference, and the window is a huge plus. When I travel alone, I often have the upper made up for sleeping and keep the seats and table set up below. Then if I'm awake I can go downstairs and work for awhile before going back to bed.

Worth noting that the Viewliner is a newer design. So whatever the original Superliner designer was thinking, the Viewliner designer was told "don't make that mistake again" :)

Hopefully Superliner replacement equipment will be single-level. Ceiling height and thus headroom, overhead luggage space & less claustrophobic feel in general is one reason. Another is no need to navigate narrow stairs with luggage, food, whatever, and go back either direction if you meet someone. BTW, I wish we had offered our Cap. Ltd bedroom at least for sleeping when a mother's adult daughter gasped upon seeing their roomette. I think she may have had some claustrophobia because when I walked by their roomette a bit later the daughter was lying flat as best she could (using seat, suitcases, step & coats), staring at the ceiling as her mother sat in the seat across and tried to make as much room for the supine daughter as possible.

Back