Surfliner baggage size limit...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m taking a trip to San Diego, and I was thinking about taking the Surfliner to LA (used to live in SD and loved taking the Surfliner). Anyway, I saw the carry-on baggage limit is 28x22x11 (slightly smaller than the 28x22x14 limit for other Amtrak). I suspect my bag is a little bit larger than that, particularly in the width dimension.

The easy solution to this would be to just check the bag, but I was planning on boarding at Solana Beach, as I’m staying near La Jolla and that station is closer and the train departs later. Unfortunately, Solana Beach has no checked baggage service. Is this usually an issue, and when it is do they deny boarding with the oversized bag or just charge a fee? It’s a bit unclear in the baggage rules. I’m pretty sure I’ve carried similar-sized bags on the Surfliner in the past, but not sure if things have changed.

It’s not going to be a problem. If the bag’s girth prevents use of the overhead then the lower level car end rack is plenty large. After hundreds of trips I’ve not observed a conductor ever take a related action.

If you’re really, really concerned consider detraining at OSD and completing trip to SOL via the Coaster.

I also do t think it will be a problem. There is plenty of storage for bags on the lower levels. My wife and I just get a Roomette and I put my small carryon on the step to the bunk above and if that not enough room, put it in the luggage rack in each 1st. Class car. 

Too bad they don’t run the Viewliner Out West, there is a huge open space for luggage in the top bunk area. Oh the Viewliner rooms also have a toilet and a sink. These two items I’m sorry to say will be disappearing in the New Amtrak Viewliner cars. 

Have a pleasant trip!

Dennis M.

Last year we took some bags which probably slightly exceeded the maximum dimensions on two Surfliner trips and put them in the lower level rack.  No one paid any attention.  

I also do t think it will be a problem. There is plenty of storage for bags on the lower levels. My wife and I just get a Roomette and I put my small carryon on the step to the bunk above and if that not enough room, put it in the luggage rack in each 1st. Class car. 

Too bad they don’t run the Viewliner Out West, there is a huge open space for luggage in the top bunk area. Oh the Viewliner rooms also have a toilet and a sink. These two items I’m sorry to say will be disappearing in the New Amtrak Viewliner cars. 

Have a pleasant trip!

Dennis M.
I thought the toilet  goes but the sink stays, do I have that wrong?
Correct. Viewliner IIs (and most likely the overhauled V-Is) lose the toilet but keep the sink.

And I also don't see how the storage situation in a Roomette is connected to this question about the Surfliner.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back