Surfliner Luggage Service at Santa Barbara

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shanghai

Engineer
I will be taking the Ambus from San Francisco to Santa Barbara to connect to the Pacific Surfliner

to Los Angeles. I will take the SWC from LA to Chicago on the same day. I made this trip a few

months ago and I thought I heard an announcement that it was possible to check luggage at Santa Barbara

to Chicago via the SWC. Has anyone done this? I would really like to check our bags at Santa Barbara

to New York. We will be on the SWC and LSL.

I will be taking the Ambus from San Francisco to Santa Barbara to connect to the Pacific Surfliner

to Los Angeles. I will take the SWC from LA to Chicago on the same day. I made this trip a few

months ago and I thought I heard an announcement that it was possible to check luggage at Santa Barbara

to Chicago via the SWC. Has anyone done this? I would really like to check our bags at Santa Barbara

Dick - last time we left Santa Barbara we checked luggage to Chicago via SWC from LA with no problem. They did weigh it, so watch for being over the limit.

Dick - last time we left Santa Barbara we checked luggage to Chicago via SWC from LA with no problem. They did weigh it, so watch for being over the limit.
Dick: Tom is correct, we checked our bags in Santa Barbara for CHI on the SWC when we caught the Surfliner for Santa Barbara and they were waiting for us in CHI when we arrived!(I would be sure they put the correct tags on your Bags if you Check them to NYP, those folks in California seem to think the World ends at the California Border! :lol: ) As Tom said they are Enforcing the New Bag Rules Strictly but being an Experienced Rider I'm sure yall, won't have excess Baggage!

Last edited by a moderator:
You should be able to check the bags at the Ferry Building in San Francisco.

You should be able to check the bags at the Ferry Building in San Francisco.
Check the bags from SFC to NYP? That would be most convenient.

The bags would likely travel on the CZ & LSL. We would catch up

to the bags in CHI and both travel on the LSL. Sounds like a winner.

Theoretically, they should be able to throw a routing tag on them and send them the way that you are going.

Consider calling the office and asking the folks there directly.

Theoretically, they should be able to throw a routing tag on them and send them the way that you are going.
But there is also no real reason for the bags to go the same way, just makes extra work for Amtrak. And it's not like he's going to see the bags along the way, so it won't be easing his mind at all.

Ah, but he is paying for them to do that work.

And it is nice to know that, in the extremely off change that you need your checked luggage, it's traveling with you, not on some other train.

I checked bags at Spokane to Cleveland this spring. I'm guessing they went on the CL from Chicago but they were waiting for us in Cleveland when we got off the LSL.

On the way back we checked a bag to SPK from Cleveland. It got to SPK a day earlier than we did since we got off for 24 hours in western Montana.

On the way east on the EB I misplaced my laptop. The Conductor called me while I was in Chicago Union Station (He was in MSP). He sent it on the next EB and the next CL and I picked it up in Washington.

The Amtrak stations that handle baggage have a lot more tags than just the checked baggage stations on their own route.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back