Status of Surfliner Service between Oceanside and Irvine

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Since the OCTA website has not been updated since construction started, I asked the project manager this exact question via e-mail last week. The rains have indeed delayed the work and it is not expected to completed until early March now, barring more rain delays.
OCTA really is doing this wrong. it should be 24/7 construction given its a major part of the rail line they own

A decent rainstorm, possibly aided by an atmospheric river, is forecast to hit the area this weekend. Some rain is possibly forecast through Tuesday. With all of the rain we've been getting I would not be surprised to see the bus bridges carry on until April at this rate.

OCTA really is doing this wrong. it should be 24/7 construction given its a major part of the rail line they own
Only problem is they can’t. There are houses right along the tracks and they can’t wake people at night.

Since the OCTA website has not been updated since construction started, I asked the project manager this exact question via e-mail last week. The rains have indeed delayed the work and it is not expected to completed until early March now, barring more rain delays.
Email update confirms project delayed.
Contractors are installing two rows of ground anchors as part of the project. By mid-January, testing and securing all 104 anchors on row one is expected to be complete.

Crews are set to begin excavation activities on Jan. 20 as they prepare to install 116 ground anchors for row two. Work hours are from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday and some Saturdays.

Construction Schedule
Project completion has been extended to late March due to site conditions and inclement weather. Contractors must revise their approach to installing several anchors at the south end of the project to ensure existing foundation piles are not impacted. This change along with recent rains have combined to delay the project schedule.

We appreciate your patience while we work to complete this emergency project and get passenger rail service running safely through the area.

This work may be loud. The schedule is subject to change due to inclement weather or unforeseen operational issues.

Additionally, no Surfliner service between Goleta and SLO until repairs are completed due to storms.
As a result of the recent storms, tracks north of Goleta will be closed for 10-16 days so crews from Union Pacific Railroad can complete repair work. While the tracks are closed, the following trains will be adjusted as follows:

Southbound

• 774 will originate in Los Angeles (suspended between San Luis Obispo and Los Angeles)
  • 794 will originate in Goleta (suspended between San Luis Obispo and Goleta)
Northbound

• 761 will be cancelled
  • 777 will terminate in Goleta (suspended between Goleta and San Luis Obispo)
NOTE: Departure/arrival times as well as existing Thruway bus service will not be affected. No alternate transportation will be provided to replace canceled train service.

Additionally, no Surfliner service between Goleta and SLO until repairs are completed due to storms.

That'll affect the CS as well. I reposted in the long-term winter storm disruptions thread.

Last edited:
Be prepared for a Bustitution to Irvine, and a Transfer to a Surfliner upon arrival there!
Looks like this will be the case as, on Thursday, I was rebooked onto 1758/785 (on 2/5) and 774/1774 (2/8) on the phone. Will still be in Business Class thankfully.

In the meantime, how do they turn the trains? Do they keep them on the platform there? Or do they bring them to a siding (and if so, which siding)? Just curious to know the logistics with the closure,

In the meantime, how do they turn the trains? Do they keep them on the platform there? Or do they bring them to a siding (and if so, which siding)? Just curious to know the logistics with the closure,
They have the train hold on the platform at irvine until the north bound thruway bus come to the station and depart at around 10 minutes from bus arrival. They do use both platforms at irvine. I do not know what they do for San Juan Capistrano, probably the same thing? At oceanside I don't know what they do. I have only seen a coaster train being held at a red light next to the 5 freeway near Camp Pendleton.

They have the train hold on the platform at irvine until the north bound thruway bus come to the station and depart at around 10 minutes from bus arrival. They do use both platforms at irvine. I do not know what they do for San Juan Capistrano, probably the same thing? At oceanside I don't know what they do. I have only seen a coaster train being held at a red light next to the 5 freeway near Camp Pendleton.
Okay but what about in between runs? Do they keep the train at the station, move it to a siding, deadhead it back somewhere?

While I'm happy to hear about the partial restoration of weekend train service, it would appear that construction crews have only been working Mondays through Fridays. For the nation's second busiest rail corridor, I would have expected them to work as quickly as possible, including weekends.

Also, I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread, but rail service between GTA and SLO resumes Monday 1/30.

Travel Advisories | Pacific Surfliner

While I'm happy to hear about the partial restoration of weekend train service, it would appear that construction crews have only been working Mondays through Fridays. For the nation's second busiest rail corridor, I would have expected them to work as quickly as possible, including weekends.
Thats on OCTA. they only work M-F with a single daytime shift. No overnight work
Also, I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread, but rail service between GTA and SLO resumes Monday 1/30.
Sooner than expected. However Honda bridge is going to need a replacement sooner than later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back