Status of Surfliner Service between Oceanside and Irvine

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is way past time for them to take on performance of serious slope stabilization throughout the entire length of the line where it as the bottom of slopes. By the way, double track the thing while you are at it.
The taken of those beach front houses would be a expensive thing to do. However I do agree time to fix this issue correctly. With the changing climate taken in account, and future track capacity. (Double track)

the photos I've seen show minimal junk on the tracks but getting close to the edge and likely impeading the loading gauge, removing that should be fairly quick if they decide to make it a priority.
The OC Register reports the city of San Clemente approved $75k for a geology study on the site, as it was reported that issues were starting to crop up on April 16th. That article was posted on Wednesday, the day before the slide. Depending on the study (if they continue it) or other investigations, they might decide there is potential for more land to slide and/or they need to patch up the hill like they did south of San Clemente Pier.

They can probably clean up what's near the tracks now, but Metrolink has suspended use of the tracks until further notice in case the land gives out more than it has. I hope the tracks can be cleared for use in short order, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Maybe they should think long term and move the tracks inland
Thats in the early stages now. ~2035 is the rough timeline for getting it done around del mar
The OC Register reports the city of San Clemente approved $75k for a geology study on the site, as it was reported that issues were starting to crop up on April 16th. That article was posted on Wednesday, the day before the slide. Depending on the study (if they continue it) or other investigations, they might decide there is potential for more land to slide and/or they need to patch up the hill like they did south of San Clemente Pier.

They can probably clean up what's near the tracks now, but Metrolink has suspended use of the tracks until further notice in case the land gives out more than it has. I hope the tracks can be cleared for use in short order, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
well then time to get a quick sheet pile wall up and work on the full design later
What specifically is changing about the climate in this area that threatens the route? Is there less rainfall? More rainfall. Less snow and more rain? Or less rain and more snow? Rising sea level? If rising sea level, what is the annual rate of rise? More likelihood of heavier storms? More wildfires? I don't see how saying "climate change" helps illuminate a discussion without a more precise description of what is changing.
Waves are eating away at the beaches and cliffs along with large amounts of rain in short times overwhelming drainage systems. The track shifted over 3 feet last year which is why the route was closed for months. in places where the tracks are on the beaches waves have caused damage.
its been an issue on this line sense the early days of its construction but its gotten worse. San Diego has spent 20 years trying to stabilize and increase drainage
1682696668250.png
1682696353406.png

MODERATOR NOTE: Please keep posts on the topic of the emergency track work and suspension of the Pacific Surfliner. Several posts discussing climate change were removed as off topic. Please avoid any discussion of climate change since such discussion could be considered political, and thus a violation of AU Rules and Regulations.

Thank you for your cooperation, understanding and participation.

Thats in the early stages now. ~2035 is the rough timeline for getting it done around del mar

well then time to get a quick sheet pile wall up and work on the full design later

Waves are eating away at the beaches and cliffs along with large amounts of rain in short times overwhelming drainage systems. The track shifted over 3 feet last year which is why the route was closed for months. in places where the tracks are on the beaches waves have caused damage.
its been an issue on this line sense the early days of its construction but its gotten worse. San Diego has spent 20 years trying to stabilize and increase drainage
View attachment 32257
View attachment 32256
Are those two photos in the same location? Top one looks like San Clemente and bottom looks like Del Mar.
San Clemente is under study they got 5.6m this year and there have been some older proposed ideas.
View attachment 32253

This for del mar area. Its undergoing design right now as they got 300m for that
View attachment 32252
I don't think this is where the landslide occurred, nor is it where the track was closed for 7 months.

Are those two photos in the same location? Top one looks like San Clemente and bottom looks like Del Mar.

I don't think this is where the landslide occurred, nor is it where the track was closed for 7 months.
no they are not, you've got locations right. I was using both shots as example of the long standing issues the line has had

the san Clemente bypass is looking at 11 miles along the coast including this recent slide and the spot 2 miles south were it caused the closer for 7 months
the assumptions under on or above I5 will be the most likely place the line will be moved to

Reactions: Cal
No trains between San Diego and Irvine tomorrow (unless you count Coaster from SD to Oceanside).

Amtrak has published a modified schedule from Monday 5/1 until the track reopens; it looks like they have procured bus service for rail replacement as the previous closure:
  • Trains 572, 573, 583, and 586 remain cancelled
  • Trains 562, 765, 567, 770, 774, 777, 784, 785, 588, and 591 have bus connections available between Irvine and Oceanside
  • Trains 564, 580, and 595 start/end in Irvine
  • Trains 770, 774, 777, 581, 784, and 591 extend to San Juan Capistrano
  • Train 761 originates in Los Angeles

https://www.pacificsurfliner.com/gl...osure_emergency-schedule-change-05-01-23.pdf/

San Diego is considered a critical transportation destination. IMO any such destination should have more than one current operational inlet / outlet. With possible freight disruption from this slide San Diego has maybe one? Poster on Trains proposed 4 different possibilities.

LAX to San Diego service interrupted again. - Trains Magazine - Trains News Wire, Railroad News, Railroad Industry News, Web Cams, and Forms
No other active rail lines exist. SD&AE is a non-starter as it's silly slow even if you get everything repaired, plus runs through Tijuana and Tecate. Not sure how feasible it is to rebuild via Fallbrook into the IE.

Most passenger rail is either commuter or regional, so we could survive on buses for a while. Tourists from longer distances would have to fly. It would be bad if we lost rail to LA as it's a big pressure release value on the freeways, especially during the holiday season, but we wouldn't be completely hosed.

Freight can get in and out via intermodal - boat (slow) or truck (faster, less capacity). Losing rail for freight might actually hurt more, as a lot of auto racks ship out from National City and Dole fruit company has a base at the Port of San Diego. I don't think there's any excess capacity at Long Beach or LA for boats, and freeways have limited capacity for intermodal truck.

Anybody heard when service might be restored? I'm on #583 (SNA-LAX) end of May. #583 is currently cancelled.
Nothing yet in the news or from Metrolink, so I have to imagine the emergency timetable from Amtrak implies it might be closed for some time. I would be surprised if we don't hear more about the situation by the end of this week.

Metrolink runs SNA-LAX, it's just a bit slower and less comfortable as it's commuter rail. No need to buy a ticket in advance; just show up and use the ticket machines. If your ticket is canceled consider Metrolink 609 or 689 if it's a non-holiday weekday; otherwise try to get on Amtrak 581 as the 785 service will be loaded with people from San Diego.

Last edited:
Nothing yet in the news or from Metrolink, so I have to imagine the emergency timetable from Amtrak implies it might be closed for some time. I would be surprised if we don't hear more about the situation by the end of this week.

Metrolink runs SNA-LAX, it's just a bit slower and less comfortable as it's commuter rail. No need to buy a ticket in advance; just show up and use the ticket machines. If your ticket is canceled consider Metrolink 609 or 689 if it's a non-holiday weekday; otherwise try to get on Amtrak 581 as the 785 service will be loaded with people from San Diego.
It is possible that Metrolink might honor your Pacific Surfliner ticket. Call and check on that.

It is possible that Metrolink might honor your Pacific Surfliner ticket. Call and check on that.
Amtrak is $17 coach, $27 business. Metrolink is $9.25. Doesn't look like Metrolink will honor the Amtrak ticket from their Web site unless there's an informal cross-honor agreement.

Unless this is part of an Amtrak itinerary with a guaranteed connection (in which case, push to the 581) I'd get a refund and buy Metrolink if that works.

Amtrak is $17 coach, $27 business. Metrolink is $9.25. Doesn't look like Metrolink will honor the Amtrak ticket from their Web site unless there's an informal cross-honor agreement.

Unless this is part of an Amtrak itinerary with a guaranteed connection (in which case, push to the 581) I'd get a refund and buy Metrolink if that works.
Sometimes, under special circumstances they will cross-honor for same station pairs although as you point out, it may not be equitable as fares go.
The "Rail 2 Rail" program centers around monthly passes.

Let us hope freight traffic can continue. But there is the problems of much heavy weight military freight. It can be a worry for a heavy M-1 tank or naval guns. Extra heavy loads might be subject to causing any weak soils to slide? That is my big worry without an alternative rail line.

So
Looks like no Surfliner service between Oceanside and Irvine until further notice due to emergency track work:

https://www.pacificsurfliner.com/plan-your-trip/alerts/travel-advisories/
This is because of safety concerns along the right of way. Wonder how long this is going to last - sounds like it may be a while (almost certainly not in time for the Gathering, so we'll need another schedule change there).
When is the service going to continue? I was thinking about riding it next month.

Let us hope freight traffic can continue. But there is the problems of much heavy weight military freight. It can be a worry for a heavy M-1 tank or naval guns. Extra heavy loads might be subject to causing any weak soils to slide? That is my big worry without an alternative rail line.
it did last time, tanks really aren't any heavier than a fully loaded car, they are still held to the same 33T per axle limit
This article mentions the track closure in San Clemente as a result of debris coming down due to landslides.

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/arti...rnia-17999064.php?IPID=SFGate-HP-CP-Spotlight
Yep the landslides got close to the track and threated a few more buildings
When is the service going to continue? I was thinking about riding it next month.
We don't know, OCTA who owns the rail line is never in any rush to fix it and last time they were delayed by weather after taking their sweet time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back