Status of Surfliner Service between Oceanside and Irvine

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Major Work Begins to Stabilize Coastal Tracks with Service to Restart in February

If it's true that major work did not start until this month, what did they do the entire month of October? This is a heavy commuter corridor and has been closed since 9/30. New projected re-opening is February.
I don't know about the timeline, but this got my attention: "The track moved as much as 28 inches between September 2021 and September 2022 ..." And in the next paragraph: "... but freight trains continue to run on the tracks."

An update - currently all Amtrak service south of Irvine is cancelled, but they expect to have San Diego-Oceanside trains and an Oceanside-Irvine bus bridge by 10/3:

Would an alternative to a tunnel be to move the railroad to the the I-5 alignment (probably with a major portion on structure)? In combination with the Del Mar tunnel this would make most of the LA-SD route double-track, unlocking a lot of capacity.

Major Work Begins to Stabilize Coastal Tracks with Service to Restart in February

If it's true that major work did not start until this month, what did they do the entire month of October? This is a heavy commuter corridor and has been closed since 9/30. New projected re-opening is February.
its OCTA who was running this project they aren't quick.
If this was under caltrans and they treated this line like how they treat a damaged freeway it already would have been fixed.

The state really needs to take control of dispatch, upkeep and repairs/upgrades of track instead of doing it at the county or transit agency level that.
Yes this is created a railroad for local freight
1668659744476.png
I don't know about the timeline, but this got my attention: "The track moved as much as 28 inches between September 2021 and September 2022 ..." And in the next paragraph: "... but freight trains continue to run on the tracks."
Yes BNSF has contuined to run a limited amount of freight. in this case because its the hill above sliding down its highly unlikely the strucutre underneth the track will be compromised by them running 1-2 slow freights a day over it.
Would an alternative to a tunnel be to move the railroad to the the I-5 alignment (probably with a major portion on structure)? In combination with the Del Mar tunnel this would make most of the LA-SD route double-track, unlocking a lot of capacity.
The tunnel under I-5 is the only way to keep grades down. Yep double tracking those 2 sections will help a lot. Now if only we could get a bunch of california under wire so we didn't need to worry about diesel trains and all their ventilation requirements

A tunnel, as an option, has been has been on the table for some time.

Look at the link in the post just before yours.
Also (Oct 29):
"While the project timeline calls for the work to fully wrap up by mid-January, officials hope to be able to resume train service return by mid-December. However, transit officials caution, it's possible unforeseen circumstances could delay the track reopening until the project is entirely complete."
https://thepointsguy.com/news/pacific-surfliner-track-work/

California’s coastal Amtrak service still down for Thanksgiving holiday (KPBS Public Media Nov 25, 2022)
"Passenger rail service from San Diego to places north of San Clemente has still not been restored. KPBS Reporter Thomas Fudge says the threat of a bluff collapse nearly two months ago put a stop to the train travel."

My pastor and family are taking the Texas Eagle to LA, and then the Surfliner on to San Diego. Because of the bustitution, checked baggage is not available all the way to San Diego. They will have to get their bags in LA, and take them on the train and bus themselves.
Five people are travelling, in 2 roomettes and a bedroom on the Eagle, with two suitcases each. Plus handbags.
Questions:
1. Do the Surfliners have ample baggage racks near the doors?
2. Do the busses put bags under like Greyhound/Trailways used to do?

My pastor and family are taking the Texas Eagle to LA, and then the Surfliner on to San Diego. Because of the bustitution, checked baggage is not available all the way to San Diego. They will have to get their bags in LA, and take them on the train and bus themselves.
Five people are travelling, in 2 roomettes and a bedroom on the Eagle, with two suitcases each. Plus handbags.
Questions:
1. Do the Surfliners have ample baggage racks near the doors?
2. Do the busses put bags under like Greyhound/Trailways used to do?
Yes to Both questions!( The Surfliners with Bi-Level Seating Reserve the Downstairs Level for ADA Passengers, but if youre in Biz Class its a tad more Comfortable and not as crowded as the Coaches)

Note that @ the Oceanside Station you have to ride an Elevator and cross the Tracks on a Bridge to get to the Northbound Tracks to LAX.

The Station is very busy with lots of Buses coming and going, and the signage isn't the best.Id advise them to ask the Conductor or Station staff about directions etc.

Last edited:
Yes to Both questions!( The Surfliners with Bi-Level Seating Reserve the Downstairs Level for ADA Passengers, but if youre in Biz Class its a tad more Comfortable and not as crowded as the Coaches)

Note that @ the Oceanside Station you have to ride an Elevator and cross the Tracks on a Bridge to get to the Northbound Tracks to LAX.

The Station is very busy with lots of Buses coming and going, and the signage isn't the best.Id advise them to ask the Conductor or Station staff about directions etc.
I thought Oceanside you went under by tuinnel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back